Garmin Astro220 and DC30??

Jordan_Faust

Garmin Astro220 and DC30??

Post by Jordan_Faust » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:34 am

how many of you guys are running the new Garmin tracking system?? how are they performing for you guys? average range??

Wildweeds

Re: Garmin Astro220 and DC30??

Post by Wildweeds » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:13 am

I've got both kinds the Garmin and a Marshall Radio Telemetry.I'm real impressed with the garmin,used it yesterday chukar hunting in the fog,kind of nice to be able to know exactly where the truck is at and view the track one's taken.The visibility yesterday morning was 70-100 yards.Your question is of what concerning Range? Average range of the dog or total range of the unit?I've got a couple that average 100 and one that goes pretty big with an average range of 300,his biggest swing of the year has been 870 to a point.

I like the marshall for the battery life on the collar,I forgot to turn off the collar last year in January,when I got into that field bag in August the collar was still transmitting.The astros collar life on the battery is only like 15 hours.Needless to say a renegade will wear either the marshall or both.I carried the marshall reciever for years,it's not heavy to pack just bulky but it's accurate.My pro is on the Marshall team he tested his unit in Kansas a few years back with a scavenger hunt type game.His reciever picked up the signal from 20+ miles in that flat country.

Jordan_Faust

Post by Jordan_Faust » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:31 am

just trying to see what the average range you guys are still getting signal... and in what type of terrain if possible. i hunt a totally different type of game then those here but we use the same systems. i have a quick track unit and am in the process of purchasing a Garmin system as well. it's not unusual for the dogs to run a track out to a mile or even longer and was just wondering what kind of range you guys were getting. i know most of the guys i know use the long range antenna as well.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:31 am

I have the DC30. It's great. I haven't run out of range yet. You've got to have near line of sight for it to work, though. If the dog is in a canyon or something, you're going to lose track.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:45 pm

If range is an issue, get the long range antenna.

I have not tried mine in what I would call mountains, but have maintained a signal up to 12 miles in rolling terrain (2 miles without the long range antenna).

For those that can use them and as a recovery tool, the Tracker/Marshal/WLM telemetry units offer some real benefits; longer battery life, lighter, longer range, etc.

For the rest of us, that can't, but want to know where our dogs are and what they are doing, the Garmin is the answer,

Neil

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:56 pm

The astro can vary a lot in the range of the reception. I have kept contact with a collar at 1.5 miles in the northern Minnesota grouse woods. And I have lost reception at less than 100 yards in the Arizona desert. You need line of sight for the best reception. The garmin does always point to the last known location of the the dog though. So, you can advance to that spot and usually pick up reception again.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:53 pm

The garmin does always point to the last known location of the the dog though.
Ha, thatsa goodun!! I've found the thing most often points about everywhere the dog isn't!! :lol: :lol: I about threw mine in the air and shot it today!! In Garmin's defense, I may just have a lemon(s). This morning I had a dog on point at 200yds, dead ahead. Problem was I could see dead ahead for a half mile, heck I could see for a half mile in every direction, and there weren't no dog standing anywhere. I kept walkin' the direction the arrow was pointin and noticed the distance was gettin' farther from the dog...wth?? Glanced to my exact 3 o'clock and there's the dog's head now peakin' out on the exact opposite side of a big 'ol hereford bull! :lol: The Garmin arrow was still pointin' me 90 degrees the wrong direction. Soooo, the range varies depending on the terrain and livestock in the area you are hunting! :lol: :lol:

IME, the thing ranges from a royal piece of crap that makes you wanna throw it on the ground and stomp it to the greatest tool ever...you just never know when it's gonna do what. Today it took me over 10 minutes just to get the charger to make decent contact with the collar and charge the thing...then once you get it chargin' you hafta set it down like you're workin' with explosives or somethin' cause it don't take but a little jostle and you have to start all over tryin' to make contact again - p-poor design. My second collar is in the mail back to Garmin because the on/off switch broke where it attaches to the main circuit board so I can't turn it on/off. (I'm told they changed that design now - hmmm, wonder why??) It's got some growing pains.

I always run a telemetry collar because that's what's gonna get a truly lost dog back - I usually also strap on the Garmin unless I'm in a bad mood to start with, then it's better to leave the Garmin off! :lol: :lol:

gspdog

Post by gspdog » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:40 pm

I've liked mine so far in the four times I've used it. The problems that I have had have been the issue dgfavor spoke of with the arrow and compass pointing the wrong direction and mine doesn't seem to beep when on point. That said, I have not read the instructions yet so it could be my fault? As far as the compass and pointer, does carrying it in your vest against shells and a magnetic pocket effect it?

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:42 am

I have had similar problems with my Garmin Doug. There was probably a discussion about this before. You need to recalibrate the compass when it acts up like that. Don't know why, but it seems worse with a bigger running dog.

gunner

Post by gunner » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:06 am

Doug,

I feel your pain. Went through the same problems. I returned mine, the new one works fine.

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:06 am

gspdog wrote:I've liked mine so far in the four times I've used it. The problems that I have had have been the issue dgfavor spoke of with the arrow and compass pointing the wrong direction and mine doesn't seem to beep when on point. That said, I have not read the instructions yet so it could be my fault? As far as the compass and pointer, does carrying it in your vest against shells and a magnetic pocket effect it?
Yes, the magnet in the pocket will effect it if it gets close enough.

As far as the beeping goes. check the following

Main Menu > Advanced > Settings> Dog Alerts

Set "On Point Alert" to on.
Set the others to your preferences

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:23 pm

many advantages and few limitations. too much info to post any more. i love mine and would buy it all over again eventhough my dogs don't range out all that much.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:03 pm

I've been using the 20 & 30 for a couple seasons now- 828 yards on point is the farthest I've had- but I've succeeded in not having that any more- I think

got one that pretty much stays inside 200 yards- one that pretty much stays outside 200 yards- and two pups that are having a hard time deciding

actually looking for someone who is offering a real deal on their old 20's- need a couple

haven't had a bit of problem with mine- like them both and can see nothing bad about either

I know if I only take one collar I always know where the other is- so far 698 miles is the farthest

Jordan_Faust

Post by Jordan_Faust » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:45 pm

Shadow wrote:I've been using the 20 & 30 for a couple seasons now- 828 yards on point is the farthest I've had- but I've succeeded in not having that any more- I think

got one that pretty much stays inside 200 yards- one that pretty much stays outside 200 yards- and two pups that are having a hard time deciding

actually looking for someone who is offering a real deal on their old 20's- need a couple

haven't had a bit of problem with mine- like them both and can see nothing bad about either

I know if I only take one collar I always know where the other is- so far 698 miles is the farthest
if you're really looking for some dc-20 collars, you should try some of the hog dogging forums. most of the guys don't like the dc-20's cause they're bulky and get broken too easy in the jungles they chase hogs in. Easttexashogdoggers.com is one forum where you could probably find some 20s for a good price, i've seen some up for sale.

dudleysmith

Post by dudleysmith » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:55 pm

sent you a pm on some dc20's......

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:21 am

thanks dudley

I like the 20-