Need some help-What do I do next?

ike_dove

Need some help-What do I do next?

Post by ike_dove » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:23 pm

Last edited by ike_dove on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Need some help-What do I do next?

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:24 pm

Use the search button up top to read the threads on FF ( Force Fetch Training). You are one of many who have posted this problem. Google "Evan Graham 's Smart Work - Force Fetch" videos.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:12 pm

Why didn't you train in the yard with birds before going out into the field?

Get a much longer "leash". A 30 ft. check cord is required.

Put some birds in the freezer and bring them out to throw for training dummies. Mix them up with the dummies. Use them frozen and put them back at first then let some thaw and use them floppy (of course you need to dispose of them after a few retrieves).

ike_dove

Post by ike_dove » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:50 pm

Last edited by ike_dove on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:06 pm

Sharon wrote:Use the search button up top to read the threads on FF ( Force Fetch Training). You are one of many who have posted this problem. Google "Evan Graham 's Smart Work - Force Fetch" videos.
Just a glimpse of SmartFetch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd72kl9lZlc

Let me know if I can help. http://rushcreekpress.com/page3allproducts.html

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:03 pm

ike_dove wrote: I did train with birds before going out in the field. He did the same thing. Frozen birds also. And dummies.
Didn't mention that in your first post. And you said things were going fine with the dummies.
Get a longer CC if you feel you must take the dog out hunting again, but really there is little good to be accomplished there and probably lots of reinforcement of what is bad.
Get Evan's material, or someone's material, read it good, develop a plan in your mind and do some serious work with the dog before next season. Fooling around in the back yard haphazardly is not training.

FLocker

Post by FLocker » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:42 pm

If you want a pep talk, call your dad. These folks are giving you good advice. You don't need tips. You need a program to get your puppy to come when called, no matter what is in her mouth.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:53 pm

You asked for advise. you are getting it from experienced people. Somebody being straight forward with you is not a verbal beating. Chill out a little. :)

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:22 am

Number one if your dog doesn't do it off leash you havnt trained him. Training is putting steps together and then having them all come together. Your dog doesn't know what here means if he did he would come when called with the bird in his mouth. You missed steps. Your dog is too young and you asked to much of him. He has to come when called every time if you expect him to do it in the excitment of a hunt. Don't take him hunting again this year it will do you no good and you'll just have more problems to fix. With a green trained dog you should only out him in situations you can control. What your doing now is just turning your dog loose and you have no control. Slow down and back up. If you ask for suggestions on a public forum that's what you will get stay opened minded!!!!
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:09 pm

birddogger wrote:You asked for advise. you are getting it from experienced people. Somebody being straight forward with you is not a verbal beating. Chill out a little. :)

Charlie
Charlie,

If there is one thing I've had to get used to it's to just offer good information, and let the folks who are asking do what they will with it. As you know, some people post up questions sincerely hoping to learn something useful. Sometimes we find that others have appeared to be doing that, but instead are just looking for an affirmation that what they're already doing is the right thing. Sadly, when they find that it isn't, they get their panties in a wad and run off into oblivion! Even worse is that they own a dog that won't be getting any better treatment than he was before.

I appreciate all who reach out and try to help trainers and their dogs in any way they can. The strength of these forums is the sharing of information, and forming friendships.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:14 pm

Well stated Evan.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way