Use Baby Socks and Duck Tape?

mandrakeduck

Use Baby Socks and Duck Tape?

Post by mandrakeduck » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:01 pm

I expect to get some sarcasim on this post. So fire away :D

But.... does anyone use baby socks and duck tape for dog boots? A long time ago I read a post where someone used this. They claimed that this technique kept dirt and small rocks from getting into the boots.

My dog came down with sore feet last weekend while we were on vacation and I put baby socks and duck tape on her feet. It worked well except, the duck tape got mangled during the hunt.

If you use this technique, how do you apply the duck tape so that it last the whole hunt?

Shadow

Re: Use Baby Socks and Duck Tape?

Post by Shadow » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:56 pm

I didn't use baby socks but- first time down here quite some time ago we hit a field full of sand burss-
took a regular pair of socks, cut in 1/2, put them over a foot, completely wrapped in duct tape- lasted 1/2 a day- but we weren't in rocks
depending on the ground duct tape will last only so long

now I make my own out of heavy brush pants- the extra heavy front of the legs, and tape the tops-
other than that- I bougth 8 dog boots for $2.50 each- like them quite a bit

mandrakeduck

Post by mandrakeduck » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:54 pm

What brand of dog boots did you buy?

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:04 am

www.dogbooties.com- 218-727-3121- Duluth, Minnesota- was told good company to do business with- go on their web it'll tell you how to measure for the right ones- I choose the Black 1000 Denier large- we have hard ground no rocks- they are light and have stretch velcro that secures the top - I used duct tape over the velcro at first- stopped because that velcro really secures them- you can choose some different colors- actually- I called and they said their boots are used for dog sledding- if you saw the movie "Snow Dogs" the dogs had them on- so 8 with postage and handling cost me $26.00- nice folks and quick service

when I found out this field was a burr late this summer I needed something so I bought two sets of Scott's Dog Boots, double layer Nylon, medium, orange- they are just now starting to get holes in the tips- other than that quite nice- $19.95 -

I like the Dog Booties- going to order 8 more for the pups

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:13 am

Check these out they out last any other boots I have found yet.

http://www.lcsupply.com/Product/Dog-Boo ... oogle-shop

mandrakeduck

Re: Lewis Boots

Post by mandrakeduck » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:13 pm

Check these out they out last any other boots I have found yet.
Thanks for the link! I've purchased from Lion Country and saw those boots.

What kind of dog do you hunt with? I have German Shorthairs. I thought those boots would be cumbersome and SLOW her down. What has been your experience?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:03 pm

I run gsps, and dont have any issues with the boots slowing the dogs down. I use athletic pre wrap then use duct tape to hold the boots on. Just make sure you dont tape the boots to tight or the dogs feet will swell. I only run the boots when I am hunting in an area with lots of stickers etc.

You can also try this and make your own, http://www.oknavhda.com/boots.htm.

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:25 pm

Anybody have any experience with using boots in the snow and ice ?? I've seen mushers secret recomended before. Does it work? Anybody with first hand experience with it ??

Sadie Marie doesn't tolerate the snow and ice well at all. Don't know why but I take the 2 out and Daisy will be in fine shape but Sadie will be bleeding from all four paws. Happened again today. She heels up quick and doesn't really seem to notice it too much, but I do.

With boots and such I worry about slipping and falling, sprains, strains, torn ligaments tendons and such more than anything.

I'll double post this in health.
Last edited by Ditch__Parrot on Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

bossman

Post by bossman » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:30 pm

Totally agree with Shadow. Just got back from 8 days of quail hunting in south Texas. Grass burrs were reported to be the worst in many years. On a recommendation from the ranch owner, bought several pair of boots from "dogbooties". I bought the 500 denier cordura boots with the velstretch fastener. Best boots I've ever used. The grass burrs never slowed the dogs down.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:01 am

both have Dogbooties on- I don't have to tape them- sure doesn't seem to cause mine to slip or loose traction- the fit is loose and soft- I like them- most hunts are an hour or a bit more- these are the 1000- then I take them off and put them on the other two Britts for a like hunt

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:59 am

What he said............ the PRE-WRAP is key !! The Nationals for GSP's in Eureka, KS is loaded with shale which is brutal on a dog's foot/pad's. Remember, pre-wrap, pre-wrap, pre-wrap !!
ACooper wrote:I run gsps, and dont have any issues with the boots slowing the dogs down. I use athletic pre wrap then use duct tape to hold the boots on. Just make sure you dont tape the boots to tight or the dogs feet will swell. I only run the boots when I am hunting in an area with lots of stickers etc.

You can also try this and make your own, http://www.oknavhda.com/boots.htm.
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:11 pm

Sadie__Marie wrote:Anybody have any experience with using boots in the snow and ice ?? I've seen mushers secret recomended before. Does it work? Anybody with first hand experience with it ??

Sadie Marie doesn't tolerate the snow and ice well at all. Don't know why but I take the 2 out and Daisy will be in fine shape but Sadie will be bleeding from all four paws. Happened again today. She heels up quick and doesn't really seem to notice it too much, but I do.

With boots and such I worry about slipping and falling, sprains, strains, torn ligaments tendons and such more than anything.

I'll double post this in health. Someone will probably tell me I need to change her diet :roll:
Were are they bleeding from. M.S. just stops snow from building up between the pads. Does not protect were the nail enters the toe area.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:37 pm

Has anyone used the dog booties where there are sand burrs or goat heads? I like the Owens boots they are TOUGH, but I am always looking for something better.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:07 pm

Acooper- picture doesn't show it but yes-

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:28 pm

Thanks
Last edited by Ditch__Parrot on Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:52 pm

You can also make boots out of cut up intertube tires and duct tape.
brenda

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:12 am

snips wrote:You can also make boots out of cut up intertube tires and duct tape.
http://www.oknavhda.com/boots.htm.

texscala

Post by texscala » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:09 pm

Inner tubes and electrical tape for me. They are cheap, last all season, easy to carry and repair, and protect both in hot and cold conditions. Just make sure to condition your dog to them before you go hunting.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:51 pm

yep- nice pictures

dawgmama

Post by dawgmama » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:28 pm

I make my own boots out of cordura that I purchase at the army surplus store. To keep the sand burr stickers out and help them wear longer, I dip them in Plasticoat, (I think that is the name). It is a liquid plastic that is usually used to coat the handles of tools. I find it at Menards, in the tool section. The plastic coating also helps with traction in mud and on snow.

To keep the boots from falling off, we first wrap with Vetwrap on the dogs 'ankle', (not too tight!), then put the boot on, then wrap over the velcro with electrical tape (once again, not too tight!). We hardly ever loose a boot, hunting all day, and we always remove them at night!
"Dead Bird!! Fetch it up!!"
2 English Setters and a 'beasty boy' Wirehair pup in our family of hunters.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:31 am

dawgmama- Plasticoat- never would have thought of that- I'll look for some and try it out- going to buy some 1000 denier and make my own- my 1000 Dogbooties are nice- hard pack ground is rough on them- coating might do nicely- do you recoat/do they really stiffen up/crack- or do you make new after awhile

dawgmama

Post by dawgmama » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:20 pm

Shadow, I usually do 2 coats, sometimes I dip them in a old tupperware container filled with Plasitcoat, and sometimes I use a sponge brush from the paint department and paint it on, paying special attention to the seams. I then let them dry propped up on a 2x2 on newspaper. I usually don't re-coat the boots, cause the dog's nails tend to tear out the toe end, and since they are so cheap to make, I just throw them out. The Dogbooties look nice, but does that tubular shape flop around? I make mine more, um... kind of like a short, fat U shape, with velcro at the top. I've got it down to a science, assembly line like. I sew the loop side of the velcro on the front top, put the right sides together facing inside, with the loop side of the velcro inside so when I sew the seam, it gets sewn in, and I sew the seam twice. Then I turn right side out, and it is ready to coat with Plasitcoat.

My husband teases me , that I will sew for the dogs, but not for him. I really, really dislike sewing otherwise. :)

The best thing about the Plasticoat is that the sand burr spikes don't go through and break off in the dogs pads like they used to before I started using it. I used to pick SD sand burr spikes out of their feet with a tweezers each night. The boots even hold up pretty well to wheat stubble. We once had a Wirehair have a wheat stubble stick go in the bottom and right out the top between her toes. Ouch! With the dog boots, they keep going, and going ....... 8)
"Dead Bird!! Fetch it up!!"
2 English Setters and a 'beasty boy' Wirehair pup in our family of hunters.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:30 am

Thanks- that is pretty slick the way you made yours- Dogbooties do flop a bit- stay soft- and you are right- I have the same problem here with those sand burrs/boarsheads

think I'll buy material and make my own next time- going to look for plasticoat- sounds good