puppy price

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: puppy price

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:46 am

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:

Wow Joe~You've got invites to hunt all over the country!!! 8) If you go, swing by Iowa and pick me up. I don't think we can take the Ferrari though, we won't all fit. We can take my new Dodge. 8) Seriously though, I would love to hunt behind your dogs, as well as those of any who have invited you to go huntin'.

I think that we can all agree that we have dogs that excell in what we use them for, no matter what we paid for them, or we wouldn't have them. Let's not let this turn into a pissin' match. We've got some good info from this thread. 8) Let's keep it goin'!

I would enjoy hunting behind any of you guy's dogs.

Doug
Great post and so very true. I too would love to hunt with any of you and our dogs. I have never met a good dog I didn't love. Hardest part is finding some where that will allow them to show their stuff.

Course we all could sit around a fire, drink beer, and tell lies. Even that sounds like fun.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:04 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:

Wow Joe~You've got invites to hunt all over the country!!! 8) If you go, swing by Iowa and pick me up. I don't think we can take the Ferrari though, we won't all fit. We can take my new Dodge. 8) Seriously though, I would love to hunt behind your dogs, as well as those of any who have invited you to go huntin'.

I think that we can all agree that we have dogs that excell in what we use them for, no matter what we paid for them, or we wouldn't have them. Let's not let this turn into a pissin' match. We've got some good info from this thread. 8) Let's keep it goin'!

I would enjoy hunting behind any of you guy's dogs.

Doug
Great post and so very true. I too would love to hunt with any of you and our dogs. I have never met a good dog I didn't love. Hardest part is finding some where that will allow them to show their stuff.

Course we all could sit around a fire, drink beer, and tell lies. Even that sounds like fun.

Ezzy

Right On, brother!!!

Doug

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:40 am

Think the newby that started this thread may have gotten more than he bargained for :lol: Great thread though ..

Have you all noticed though them them Field Trial Ferrari's pups usually sell a lot cheaper than the average MH /NAVHDA type dogs think they MH/NAVK}HDA type dogs must be a different type of sports car perhaps Lamborghini's as they usually sell for a bit more and have a few more options than the average Ferrari :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just teasing everyone has their own idea of the perfect dog, they are many breeding although different types of excellent dogs for different ideas of the perfect dog think anyone looking to find their idea of the perfect hunting companion can easily find it, with a little research whether it be from a hobby breeder or a well known reputable kennel...

After reading through the thread I Think a few on here must have missed the concept meant of a backyard breeder ..When they themselves are really hobby breeders

another example of backyard
A lady from work tells me she wants to breed her lab I ask why she says well shes a house dog and she is so hyper I think if I breed her she may calm down a bit I ask whats her pedigree like, answer well shes got AKC papers, does she hunt , answer NO , whos dog are you considering breeding her to ,answer the neighbers dog his dog is afraid of the water have you ever heard of a lab afraid of the water before, hes a little hyper too but is a good looking dog he's chocolate, how old is your dog answer 18 months

Thats an example of backyard right there now some poor newby will buy them lab pups thinking they got a hunting dog, sire afraid of the water and never been hunting and dam never been hunting being bred because she's to hyper a puppy destroying the house , no health tests , no guarantees , no hunting background , no hunt test background , heck their aint even show dog blood there just two dogs that are of the same breed , not being bred to reproduce what they got or improve on what they got , breeding for color only (Thats BACKYARD )
get the picture :wink:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:15 am

Briarpatch,

Good point and well described as I am sure that really does happen.

Another point I want everyone to consider is the point Joe made about National Champions producing National Champions. How much of that is due to the fact that someone wanting a trial dog looks for pups out of trial dogs and the pup with no titles in the pedigree never gets a chance to compete. In my own mind this is a significant factor. Can't really fault anyone for this as it is what most of us recommend, but I am sure that it does keep many many well qualified pups from ever having a chance in the trial world. And if I am right it would explain why the champions produce the champions, as their pups are the only ones normally getting a chance. And the opposite is true also when we see the great hunting dogs producing great hunting dogs. In reality I don't think there is as much difference in the quality of those pups as we try to make out. Again so much comes back to each of us thinking our mutts are better than your mutts because they perform in the manner we each like and not because one type is better than the other.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:32 am

Well said Briarpatch.

I couldn't agree more with you Ezzy. As we speak (type) there is some National Champion Caliber Bird Dog "holding the cushions down on a couch". There are so many variables when humans get involved. The dog does needs good breeding but it also needs to be nurtured, trained well, have an owner with the $$$$ to compete the dog and be placed with the right handler.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:41 am

ezzy333 wrote:Briarpatch,

Good point and well described as I am sure that really does happen.

Another point I want everyone to consider is the point Joe made about National Champions producing National Champions. How much of that is due to the fact that someone wanting a trial dog looks for pups out of trial dogs and the pup with no titles in the pedigree never gets a chance to compete. In my own mind this is a significant factor. Can't really fault anyone for this as it is what most of us recommend, but I am sure that it does keep many many well qualified pups from ever having a chance in the trial world. And if I am right it would explain why the champions produce the champions, as their pups are the only ones normally getting a chance. And the opposite is true also when we see the great hunting dogs producing great hunting dogs. In reality I don't think there is as much difference in the quality of those pups as we try to make out. Again so much comes back to each of us thinking our mutts are better than your mutts because they perform in the manner we each like and not because one type is better than the other.

Ezzy
Well put Ezzy.

I have also wondered the same thing. Before I started to trial, on a limited basis, I never had trouble selling the puppies my females whelped. These pups would go to people who had either purchased a pup from me before or by people who had hunted behind my dogs or their pups. When I started trialing, I found that puppies started to go more quickly as my network got larger. The trialers began looking at my pups. Lets face it, those who trial like to see the parents in action before committing to a pup. I can't blame them for this, I do the same thing. But, that doesn't mean that a dog from a purely hunting line, one who has never been trialed or hunt tested, doesn't have just as much drive, bird finding ability, or meets the breed specifics in regards to stand as a dog that is bred from a competition line. It simply means that it has not been proven on the competition circuit. It also does not mean that the dog should not be bred. Most breeders, I believe, breed so that they can find the once in a lifetime bird dog.

Now, for those who are interested, if you are in my neck of the woods during hunting season, look me up. Me and my dogs would love to hunt with you and your's. :D

Tell you what, just come to the Wasatch Front Brittany Club's May trial. We'd love to have you and your dogs.

Joe Amatulli

Post by Joe Amatulli » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:59 am

A couple of hundred years ago Tommy said to Charlie “my bird dog is better than your bird dog” and Charlie said “the heck he is” and field trials where developed. The trophies and ribbons on my wall say mine is better. It is up to the rest of you to prove your point, I think I have proven mine………….welcome to the world of field trials boys and hope you prove me wrong. If I ever to get to retire and hit the road I would be very happy to give all of you a ride in my Ferrari!
I have been avoiding this site because it seemed too many people with their own agendas felt they needed to attack and insult to prove their point. This was a good thread and hope it can continue. We all love our dogs and we all think we have the best, but you don’t need to attack some one because they love their dog and think theirs is best. You can learn a lot from some of these posts especially from some of the old timers that have already experienced some of the problems we all run into with these dogs, be silent and be herd, you will learn and avoid screwing up that next great prospect.
I think we can all agree that if you are not breeding to improve you shouldn't and there are plenty of poor dogs being bread for the wrong reasons.
Ezzy you may be right not all dogs get the same opportunity, but that is true no matter what the breeding, all I am saying is, ya you may be able to beef up a Taurus to run with a Ferrari, but why would you when you can get a Ferrari right out of the show room and not have to do anything.
Now how about that Taurus versus the Ferrari trail!

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:00 am

Is it the norm to ask 1000. for pups out of untitled parents?
brenda

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:07 am

Not unless they are some designer cross bred or are being sold by a pet store then it seems to be the going price. But I don't think it is the norm for even well bred puppies if you are buying from a breeder. I know some are but not the norm yet I hope.

Ezzy

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:38 am

snips wrote:Is it the norm to ask 1000. for pups out of untitled parents?
Kinda like drinks at the bar. One expects to pay extra for top shelf drinks over House well drinks so no I would not pay top price for well blended drinks I will not pay top dollar from a person who doesn't do anything to warrant more then an average price

things to consider in a top shelf type breeding
The Stud and the female ,Cost of stud fee and/or lease fee, health, transportation I know some people who have done special breedings and by the time the female was inseminated they had about 2000 grand in vet fee stud fee and travel and hotel expenses...so what is wrong to have the pups off set some of the cost they incurred and also help to pay for some of the trialing they do...

but mix breeds aka designer dogs.....what ever floats someones boat but JMHO anything over a couple hundred bucks tops is highway robbery for them
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:44 pm

things to consider in a top shelf type breeding
The Stud and the female ,Cost of stud fee and/or lease fee, health, transportation I know some people who have done special breedings and by the time the female was inseminated they had about 2000 grand in vet fee stud fee and travel and hotel expenses
These may be things the breeder needs to consider but as a buyer it isn't my concern particularly. Maybe we need to start considering our cost if we want to keep pups affordable to the public.

Ezzy

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:28 pm

if someone wants a cheap pup...I suggest to them to save a pup from the rescue programs
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:32 pm

kninebirddog wrote:if someone wants a cheap pup...I suggest to them to save a pup from the rescue programs
I haven't seen a cheap one come from a rescue program by the time you pay for all of their procedures plus they may not even let you rent it if you don't fence your yard, keep it in the house, and never take it hunting.

Ezzy

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:04 pm

Is it the norm to ask 1000. for pups out of untitled parents?
Not sure but Think Brenda may be inquiring about Jerry's Westwind Post ..

I was attempting to avoid responding to it :lol:

No I dont think it the norm but Gary has worked hard to produce quality dogs , So he has built a reputation for being a top notch breeder and has probably produced more VC and or MH hunter pups than anyone even though he doesnt test dogs himself, in the hands of their new owners his pups have proven themselves time and time again, many breeders themselves have even created their own lines originating from his bloodlines,

He has built a reputation for standing behind what he breeds and his lifetime written guarantee that you can return the pup at any age for any reason also is pretty impressive, I think he is the only breeder I have ever seen with that kind of written guarantee although he does have some different ways of doing things when purchasing a pup, many would even call them odd, think his reputation is what gets that kind of money (at least thats why I bought one ) I also am glad I did purchase one..

So like I said earlier a hobby breeder isnt going to get the same money as someone who has earned a reputation of breeding quality and standing behind what they bred ...

By the way Brenda Kudos to you and yours, think you also have proven yourselves time and time again as quality breeders and also have developed a reputation for putting quality pups on the ground..

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:29 pm

kumate wrote:I came close to buying a pup from Brenda and am sure i would have been just as happy.. Some breeders dont sell pups to people who dont hunt test trial etc, but Brenda was going to make a exception and was great to talk with. I am really happy with my dog and money couldnt buy him he is the most intelligent dogs i have owned. It is funny what you said, because prior to sending the money i am saying to myself sheesh, this guy could care less if i buy the dog or not and acts as if am lucky that he is selling me a pup, no pictures etc. I keep him updated with pics and vid clips etc, and i have gotten to know his personality better

Jerry
I am glad you are happy with your puppy. I was just speaking for myself. I just couldn't do business with someone who had an attidude like I have heard he has. He also seems overpriced on a puppy out of untitled parents. He may be a totally different type of person if you get to know him well. I have known a lot of people who have given the wrong impression until I got to know them.

On another note, I fully agree with a breeder who will only sell to hunting, trial, testing, etc. people. They truly care about the dogs they produce and want them to have a life doing what they were bred to do.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

kumate

Post by kumate » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:02 pm

1000 seems to be the standard price, titled or not. Dennis has a 1/2 brother and paid the same. This was something i struggled with along with getting no pictures etc In the end the dog was all i could ask for, he only peed one time in the kennel, zero accidents at all in the house completely housebroken. He is small only 22 in at the shoulder and 50lbs. He sent me a pic of a black and white male he kept at 10 mths and it looks like a clone to my pup.

jerry

Razor

Post by Razor » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:36 pm

The irony of all this is you can still buy the best bird dog on the planet for 500-600 bucks. The best pointer litters are all in this ball park, and all the breeds that are trying to catch the pointer are much more. Something wrong with that.

cody

Post by cody » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:41 pm

Sounds to me like this Westwind guy has it figured out, he doesn't have the overhead of trying to put a title on a dog and he is still selling pups for more than the rest of you. I think he has it figured out?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:02 pm

Razor wrote:The irony of all this is you can still buy the best bird dog on the planet for 500-600 bucks. The best pointer litters are all in this ball park, and all the breeds that are trying to catch the pointer are much more. Something wrong with that.
Best bird dog for what? The breeders I prefer would be taking a step back if they were trying to imitate pointers.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:50 pm

cody wrote:Sounds to me like this Westwind guy has it figured out, he doesn't have the overhead of trying to put a title on a dog and he is still selling pups for more than the rest of you. I think he has it figured out?
From my second hand knowledge regarding this guy. I don't see why anybody would buy a dog off of somebody that is rude and won't let you pick your own puppy. IMO, $1000 dollars for a puppy off of untitled dogs is very unappealing. The only thing that a puppy knows how to do is eat and poop. As far as "the puppy has more potenial" is a bunch of crap. All well bred pups have potential, and that word in itself means "possible, but not yet actual". But as long as some people are willing to pay it there are others willing to recieve it. My thoughts on very high priced puppys is ugly. There are huge numbers of extremly well bred duds that were $1000+ pups and I'll leave it at that.

Kumate, It is not fair to buy a hunting dog from hunting stock and not hunt that dog. It sounds like you just wanted a pet. You stated that you don't hunt or trial but might be interested in some hunt tests. JMO

Ron
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:02 pm

Kumate, It is not fair to buy a hunting dog from hunting stock and not hunt that dog. It sounds like you just wanted a pet. You stated that you don't hunt or trial but might be interested in some hunt tests. JMO

Ron
Ron I aint much of a fan for seeing hunting dogs go to non hunting home's either, but I have talked with Jerry quite a bit and can tell you personally I would feel great about a dog/pup of mine going to his house

check out his video from quite awhile back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv9_MKzWGEM

anyone with that kind of connection with their dog I would be more than proud to have own one of my dogs or pups if I was a breeder, if he hunted the dog or not..

Dennis

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:20 pm

There are millions of pups that people will tell you of their great intentions and nothing ever gets done. By ruling out pet homes you just do not have time or energy to figure this out when talking to people that are suppossedly great homes...I know there definetly ARE some real good homes out there, but when you spend 30 yrs into a breeding program why mess with anyone that does not have good field intentions?
brenda

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:55 pm

Hey Joe- I'm waiting for you to say your FC dogs are so much better

season isn't over here till Jan 31st- how about you bring two of yours- say of equal age to mine- 20 and 5 months and we go head to head on wild pheasants

I've access to a bit over 4 square miles of private property

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:12 pm

gpblitz wrote:
Ron R wrote:There are huge numbers of extremly well bred duds that were $1000+ pups and I'll leave it at that.
Even more from dogs not so well bred that are priced alot cheaper.

Since dud has not been defined and no one has the figures to back up your opinion I like Ron's advice of just leaving it at that.

Ezzy

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:15 pm

dud.......... darn useless dog :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:21 pm

Shadow wrote:Hey Joe- I'm waiting for you to say your FC dogs are so much better

season isn't over here till Jan 31st- how about you bring two of yours- say of equal age to mine- 20 and 5 months and we go head to head on wild pheasants

I've access to a bit over 4 square miles of private property

Forget Joe, LOL where are you located? I will hunt with ya! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
no offense Joe!

Middlecreek

Post by Middlecreek » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:36 pm

I really didn't want to post on this thread again, but if it means I'll get an invite to hunt I'll go ahead and say my dogs are better than yours. And the more ground you have to hunt the more my dogs are better than yours. LOL!!!!
FC/RU CH SM Queen High Flush (Abby) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3815
2xCH/2xruCH FC BDK's Sin City Wildcard (Deuce) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2269

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:02 pm

Ron R wrote:
cody wrote: From my second hand knowledge regarding this guy. I don't see why anybody would buy a dog off of somebody that is rude and won't let you pick your own puppy. IMO, $1000 dollars for a puppy off of untitled dogs is very unappealing. The only thing that a puppy knows how to do is eat and poop. As far as "the puppy has more potenial" is a bunch of crap. All well bred pups have potential, and that word in itself means "possible, but not yet actual". But as long as some people are willing to pay it there are others willing to recieve it. Ron
Everyone has the right to buy a dog from whomever they choose. IMO Gary's results speak for themselves.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:09 pm

ACooper wrote:Everyone has the right to buy a dog from whomever they choose.
Ofcoarse they do. I just stated that it wouldn't be appealing to me.

Ron

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:53 pm

I have been away since Friday and I cant believe this thread is still going! How many times can you disagree and rehash the same conversation with different people? I guess only time will tell :roll:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:11 pm

I have been following this post and thought I would chime in, I just recently got a very well bred pup for $450. Out of some of the best pointer lines in the country. I think anything over about $700 for a pup is pretty ridiculous IMO. Also what a dog turns out to be is more dependent on the trainer than the dog if you ask me. If you bred two NFC's together and all pups went to guiding operations and hunting homes how many of those dogs would be titled? ZERO.Now you place those same pups with a top pro and you will see wins. JMO

kumate

Post by kumate » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:32 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence Dennis, I try to spend as much time and do as much as possible with him. In general i think most people who spend upwards of 1000 on a gsp pup will at least treat them well. Brenda after speaking with you and telling you that i had a 10 yr old shorthair and was looking for a pup to camp, maybe obed or agility and the dog would be in the house. You said you would sell me a pup. I understand breeders wanting their pups going to competition homes but unless you know the buyer personally all you have is your first impression and your gut feeling as to wether to sell the pup to the buyer or not. I spoke with alot of who would be considered top navdha line breeders of GSP's and all of them would have sold me a pup but one. Maybe they were all making exceptions, but more likely than not were happy to have a buyer willing to pay the top dollar being asked and the reality that they cant keep them all.

Jerry

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:40 pm

Razor wrote:The irony of all this is you can still buy the best bird dog on the planet for 500-600 bucks. The best pointer litters are all in this ball park, and all the breeds that are trying to catch the pointer are much more. Something wrong with that.
This statement makes absolutely no sense! :roll:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Razor

Post by Razor » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:58 pm

It is tuff to explain to GSP owners.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:04 pm

Razor wrote:It is tuff to explain to GSP owners.

It's tough to explain to anyone with common sense.

Ezzy

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:19 pm

If I can buy a setter who will be "the best bird dog on the planet" for $5-600. , then I'm in. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:08 am

wasn't an invite to hunt- this area gets hammered- I've been running the pups with the adults- they're catching on- actually surprised there's still roosters around- so I take one or two and call it a good time- different type fields are teaching the pups different run

I'm not saying mine are the best

I've also sold a pup for $300.00 to a family who had no intention of hunting, trialling, testing- just wanted a nice Britt-
I know some breeders ask a prospective buyer to fill out a form stating a whole lot- nothing wrong with that

Joe Amatulli

Post by Joe Amatulli » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:17 am

Well I am glad to see this thread continuing, but so far no one has proven what their pups are worth other than blah,,,,,blah,,,,,,,,blah. Personally I don’t see anything wrong with spending $1000, $5000, or $50,000 on a great prospect, again think of the amount of time and money you put into these dogs, if you see one that is going to do a lot of winning or you are going to shoot a lot of birds over what is it worth. Even if you take that $500 pup, how much time and money do you need to put into him those first 2 years? Now if you think you can take a backyard bread dog and win the nationals or for that matter expect the same class and desire that a top bread dog is going to give you, you are dreaming! Are there nice dogs that are only $500.00, absolutely, but think of the risk? I want to put my time and money into the best that I can get.
Shadow I would love to show you what my dogs can do, but do you know how much gas a Ferrari will burn to get to you?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:50 am

Joe Amatulli wrote:Shadow I would love to show you what my dogs can do, but do you know how much gas a Ferrari will burn to get to you?
Especially towing a dog trailer. Totally ruins the aerodynamics. :wink:

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:55 am

Joe Amatulli wrote:Well I am glad to see this thread continuing, but so far no one has proven what their pups are worth other than blah,,,,,blah,,,,,,,,blah.
Shadow I would love to show you what my dogs can do, but do you know how much gas a Ferrari will burn to get to you?
what would you say a 5 month female that covers ground, handles, points pheasants, and backs would be worth

Joe- some are talking about meeting some place in the midwest next year- I'd enjoy a run with my male and one of yours- not big on a group
my male has never been with a long tail- hope he'd back but not sure what he'd think of a tail sticking straight up

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:35 am

I think Razor was saying that for $500-600, you could get a pup with some of the best blood lines. That is usually true. The rest is luck and how the dog is developed.

Some months ago, I paid $400 for a fine, great pedigreed wild-bird hunting Llewellin Setter. To pay more than $700 for a pup, no matter what you plan on using it for, seems a bit silly . Of course, some people have more money than common sense, so more power to them.
big steve

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:02 pm

Shadow wrote:
Joe Amatulli wrote:Well I am glad to see this thread continuing, but so far no one has proven what their pups are worth other than blah,,,,,blah,,,,,,,,blah.
what would you say a 5 month female that covers ground, handles, points pheasants, and backs would be worth

Joe- some are talking about meeting some place in the midwest next year- I'd enjoy a run with my male and one of yours- not big on a group
my male has never been with a long tail- hope he'd back but not sure what he'd think of a tail sticking straight up

Shadow I would say that pup is worth no more than the next. It is 5 months old, and I WILL GUARANTEE that she doesn't or wont do it all the time and will NEED to be trained to do it later in life. The only thing it shows is a natural propensity to do these things No different than a "natural retriever", some day they WILL quit you no matter how natural it comes. If I could hop on Joe's Ferrari analogy, No matter how nice they are in the beginning you still have to put gas in 'em. 8)
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:06 pm

Joe I dont understand your statement about taking a risk by buying a $500 pup. The litter I got my pup out of was sired by a dog on a future HOF AA handler's string. The female has won DOTY twice in her region. There is a HUGE difference between cheap and inexpensive. If you spend the time you can find a great dog for a reasonable price.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:11 pm

big steve46 wrote:To pay more than $700 for a pup, no matter what you plan on using it for, seems a bit silly . Of course, some people have more money than common sense, so more power to them.
You seem to be setting yourself up as the authority on what is "common sensible" and what is not with puppy prices the way you do with dog food prices. Seems counter productive.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:13 pm

No risk AT ALL buying a 500 dollar pup and I will GUARANTEE you i can show you far more people who paid big money that were dissapointed than those who paid legit prices for their dogs, and I don't mean that the cheaper dogs were lesser but good enough either. Some people like to act as if because they charge more you get a better dog when i reality they do it because suckers and people with more money than common sense believe that hype machine. 800 for a pup is as far as I would go myself and thats only for certain breedings, and I mean very certain breedings.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:25 pm

WOW, 10 pages and still not locked due to excessive argueing. How long can this last? :twisted:

Ron

Joe Amatulli

Post by Joe Amatulli » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:59 pm

Okay I still don’t think you guys get my point! First all the value of pups changes with the different breeds. I strongly believe that there are 10 times as many pointers produced as GSP’s, but I also realize how many of them wind up in the ground, because they are just not going to make it. This I believe has a lot to do with why pointers just don’t sell for very much, but on the other hand when you get one that is top shelf, $50,000.00 is not unheard of and is justified.
I will say again if all you want to do is shoot some birds or want a house dog there is no reason to spend top dollar, but if you are looking to either shoot those birds with class or win nationals your chances are much better when you get one from dogs that have done that very thing and those pups are limited and deserve a premium. What a lot of you guy miss is the amount of training that it takes to get a dog to that level, and what it proves, not all dogs will except that amount of training. That has a lot to do with what the dog has between his ears, genetics is what you are paying for and the winning proves it.
The only way that I know to prove you have a top shelf dog, is field trails and like I said everything else is blah, blah, blah.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:13 pm

The only way that I know to prove you have a top shelf dog, is field trails and like I said everything else is blah, blah, blah.

:lol: :lol: :lol: No it means your dogs play the "game" better is all and thats it. I have had my sickle tailed old dog on the ground with three, 3, FT Champions from SD and Walking stakes as well as quite a few other winning dogs, one an NC and another who is a 4X champion, hunting and he smoked all of them in finding, handling and every other aspect trials are judged on. My oldest girl who has a low tail, 11 oclock, has beaten dogs with 20 plus wins in two seasons and soundly beaten them at FT standards. I will admit my winningest dog in FTs was a great bird finder as well but her parents were not ever trialed, just hunted. But neither of the first two would be considered top trial dogs simply because of a stupid tail that never has found a bird. Matter of fact Joe I could tell ya the opinion of a few old timers on todays trials and what some consider a "bird dog" in them. But keep on preachin some do listen.

What do you say about the NUMEROUS Ch who have produced squat but still get big money on pups all due to that little title? I guess those pups are worth that premium, inflated price as well?

Joe Amatulli

Post by Joe Amatulli » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:01 pm

You know Duane I am happy for you, but..............PROVE IT!

remmy

Post by remmy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:04 pm

I have enjoyed watching this thread. Lots of good points of view from both sides. It all comes down to what each individual person wants to spend. Just because one person would not spend more than $500 doesn't mean that no one should spend more than $500. Like I mentioned in a different thread the average pup in my area is more than $500 (talking strickly GSP).

There is a GSP kennel in Kansas currently asking $2000 for a pup. The sire is FC (big deal) and the dam is not titled. Morons, I mean people, will pay for them!
6xCH, 2xRU CH FC Alpenblick's Southern Bell

NGSPA CH, FC Cruzin's Probable Cause "Mac"

3xCH, NGPDA NC, FC Cruzin's Rocket Queen "Roxy"

Pineland's Streak "Sadie"

Cruzin's Moneymaker "Penny"

Cruzin Kennels on Facebook

Cruzin Kennels ~ http://www.cruzinkennels.com/