What does this say about breeder?

LokiandGunnar

What does this say about breeder?

Post by LokiandGunnar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:16 pm

A lab breeder I am considering for my second dog says he always sells the females first. He actually has 4-5 males at 10-11 weeks that he tried to sell me by lowering the price $250 to $700. He always has a hard time selling the males. What does this tell me about the breeder, if anything? He is a professional at this, that's his business. Seems to have good bloodlines, uses dogs from kennels I recognize, has a nice place, etc.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: What does this say about breeder?

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:23 pm

I don't think it says anything except that, for some unknown reason, his clientele prefers females.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:32 pm

I'm a breeder and for me females go first. Most of those folks think that females make better family and hunting dogs than males do. It says more about the buyer then it does about the breeder.
Tom

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Gordon Guy wrote:I'm a breeder and for me females go first. Most of those folks think that females make better family and hunting dogs than males do. It says more about the buyer then it does about the breeder.
I am not a breeder, but I wondered why females seem to always go first. I thought, maybe it was for breeding purposes. I didn't realize so many people had that opinion of male vs. female.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:57 pm

From my experiences... the people that want a female generally believe that they would be better with children, more attentive to the owner, quicker at producing birds for the gun, and not as prone to roaming. Very few buy female puppies with breeding in mind.

I believe it's not the gender of the dog that matters most, thought I do have my opinion as to traits between genders, but what matters most is the individual dog's personality.

IMO - The belief that a female will always be a better family dog then the male is an old wives tale similiar to feeding a dog chewing tobacco to rid it of worms or taking a dog to the shooting range to get it use to the sound of a gun. Or...here's a good one "all field trial dogs run to the horizon and are not good for hunting" These beliefs are passed down by people who didn't know any better.
Tom

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:01 pm

Gordon Guy wrote:From my experiences... the people that want a female generally believe that they would be better with children, more attentive to the owner, quicker at producing birds for the gun, and not as prone to roaming. Very few buy female puppies with breeding in mind.

I believe it's not the gender of the dog that matters most, thought I do have my opinion as to traits between genders, but what matters most is the individual dog's personality.

IMO - The belief that a female will always be a better family dog then the male is an old wives tale similiar to feeding a dog chewing tobacco to rid it of worms or taking a dog to the shooting range to get it use to the sound of a gun. Or...here's a good one "all field trial dogs run to the horizon and are not good for hunting" These beliefs are passed down by people who didn't know any better.
Yup...9 time out of 10, the guy who wants a female from me, wants it for the same reason you posted and it is all an old wives tail for sure.

If you want to be sure of the pups then ask the breeder if you can see the parents run and possibly hunt over them. I always try to take people out with me to hunt or woodcock band over my dogs so they see what they are likely getting.

Rich Heaton

Post by Rich Heaton » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:48 pm

All good reasons,,, but still think your missing the big one. I always thought it was cause about everybody wants to breed there own puppies. So the average Joe goes and gets himself a female, a pigeon coop and does a little internet research in hope of breeding the next National Champion. :lol:

SierraMtnBrits

Post by SierraMtnBrits » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:57 pm

I've got 14 people on my waiting list right now for pups and 12 of them want a female. Most say they want a female for the reasons stated above, the buyers think they're better house dogs, more loyal etc. The ones who want males want them because they already have an alpha female.
~ Yvonne

Happiness is a house full of Brittanys!
www.sierramtnbrittanys.weebly.com
Home to Bang, Trip and Sheldon
Rancho Haven, Nevada

NNV Rebel's Blazn Lil' MissFire JH (Bang)

NNV Bang's Triple Threat Tri (Trip)
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

DrahthaaRunner

Post by DrahthaaRunner » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:02 pm

My girlfriend told me she just doesnt like the look of the "red rocket" on male dogs and that I should get a female. I was indifferent so I got a female. One more thing to think about.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:09 pm

I don't think I would be able too SLEEP too sound around her if I were you!! :lol:

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:46 pm

vzkennels wrote:I don't think I would be able too SLEEP too sound around her if I were you!! :lol:
"bleep" Ted that is funny.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:14 pm

I prefer females for the simple potty issue. Yes they still can scent mark, but not 12 inches up my car/flowers/kid's bike :x nor do I have to spend time training them NOT too. THAT said my males are calmer and better in the house and around the kids and more biddable than my females seem to be. All opposite of what people think. If they are strictly looking for a pet and house dog and want a female GSP for that reason they will undoubtedly be stretched on patience pretty soon after tha pup comes home. I try to steer people toward the right puppy based on temperment, but it is ultimately their choice and they rarely listen. This year I have a new plan. Just wait and see. 8) It does demonstrate why some breeders charge more for females. Still not sure on this practice but it is tempting. It used to be that females were LESS prefered (prior to the advent of spay) as the heat cycles got in the way of much hunting and working and unwanted puppies might be a risk. Was reading a book about it from 1908, recently. I only had three females last litter and kept two to grow out, but the first 8 people interested only wanted females. Had three males for a while until 16 weeks or so. Had 1 male for another month.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:57 am

My experience is that females tend to go first because of the temperament and breeding possiblle issures as well. I currently have three with very different personalities. One female who is very easy going until I get her in the field, one female who is very lively and my male male who is calm but active. I should mention that these descriptions are focused around the house and yard. I do get asked which gender makes a better house and hunting dog and keep telling people that it all depends on the dog.

One of these days, someone is going to have to do a complete study as to why people seem to prefer females. Until that time, I will just be happy that my girls tend to whelp more females than males. knock on wood. :D

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:25 am

mountaindogs wrote: THAT said my males are calmer and better in the house and around the kids and more biddable than my females seem to be. All opposite of what people think.
This is what I believe as well.
Tom

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:32 am

DrahthaaRunner wrote:My girlfriend told me she just doesnt like the look of the "red rocket" on male dogs and that I should get a female. I was indifferent so I got a female. One more thing to think about.
Along those lines, I honestly purchase females because when rub their bellies I don't want to stroke the red rocket either!

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:40 am

Yup, I have volunteered for one of the brittany rescue organizations for many years, and the females always get adopted first. It's a very popular misconception that they are nicer, more affectionate, less likely to roam and more devoted to their owners. I love my girls (I have 3 of them), but I'll take the boys any day over the girls.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

LokiandGunnar

Post by LokiandGunnar » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:02 am

I appreciate all the insight every one has given.

My current dog is a male and sometimes I have to go looking for him in the house to see where he is. He is so easy to have around, hopefully the pup will be like him.

Thanks again.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:46 am

Rich Heaton wrote:All good reasons,,, but still think your missing the big one. I always thought it was cause about everybody wants to breed there own puppies. So the average Joe goes and gets himself a female, a pigeon coop and does a little internet research in hope of breeding the next National Champion. :lol:
You mean it isn't going to happen? :) ( Just kidding Rich.)
Last edited by Sharon on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Rich Heaton

Post by Rich Heaton » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:52 am

Sharon, :D :D

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:58 pm

I also find that my males are more laid back and biddable than my females.