When to get the pup neutured.

brule

When to get the pup neutured.

Post by brule » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:44 pm

I have a 5 month old black lab that will be used for hunting. I've talked to a few different people, and have done a little research on when to get my pup neutured. And the general consensus was to wait a bit longer, up to a year before neuturing my pup to help with muscle mass gain. Would a year be good, sooner, later? Does it make much of a difference to wait longer? Thanks.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: When to get the pup neutured.

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:08 pm

I would wait until 18 months but frankly I don't see a reason to neuter a male unless there is a behavioral or medical reason. There is sufficient evidence that neutered males are far more likely to get cancer and certain other medical problems. Coat quality is even impacted. Of course, testicular cancer is a risk for an intact male but the risk is very very small relative to the other cancers and easier to screen for. I will take that trade any day.

Intact males are statistically more likely to bite but I know several intact family/hunting labs that are as docile and friendly as any dog. My dog is staying intact even if he is not bred.

Intact males can be a little more annoying when young but they settle down. I would leave him be.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:56 pm

18-24 months at the earliest.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:10 am

I would not do it at all. About 5 months ago I got my 5y/o male GSP done and it changed him for the worse. He has been really hard headed ever since, and I know this may sound crazy but he is more aggressive towards other dogs.There are many risk either way you go as far as cancer. If I could I would give him his balls back.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:25 am

I think you would be a little angry if some one cut yours out & thru them in the garbage!! :lol: :P

I have always said that I think it's more for the convienuence of the owners (males or females) then the dogs.If they could only talk I think we would get an ear full. :)
Last edited by vzkennels on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:27 am

If I could I would give him his balls back.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Quote of the year so far! :D :D :D LMFAO

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:34 am

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:29 pm

It's a must IMHO if your dog is neurotic about humpin everything he see's, seen a few like that , they
became good dogs after they were relieved of their accessories. :mrgreen:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

brule

Post by brule » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:41 pm

Well, after some thought and consideration. Mainly the thought of cutting my own off, I'm not going to be in any rush to neuter my pup. I guess after always hearing spay and neuter your pets so often I just thought it was a must. I'm just going to have to make sure to be a responsible pet owner and not let him take the neighbors poodle for a ride.

The article that bosco posted is very interesting. If he does become a humpaholic, or have terrible behavorial problems I may consider. I don't see this being an issue as he's just a great pup. Thanks guys.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:05 am

Here is another Vet's perspective. : http://www.showdogsupersite.com/kenlclu ... ndogs.html

SamnTuck

Post by SamnTuck » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:34 pm

This forum has pretty much driven my decision to wait until my pup is at least 18 months, probably after next fall, to neuter him. But, the big concern that my girlfriend and I have regarding keeping him in tact is marking. My lab was neutered at 6 months and has never marked, so I don't have any experience with this problem. In all of your experience, are there any good, 99.9999% effective ways to prevent marking?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:48 pm

I'm not sure just what you are concerned about. My dogs mark but it isn't a problem. My neighbor has a female that marks also. And many neutered dogs mark.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Exactly all dogs mark,male,female,fixed or not.Females maybe not quite as much or as obvious but they do.Just another little tid bit just because a male is neutered doesn't mean he won't breed or attempt to breed or hump,just means no pups.

SamnTuck

Post by SamnTuck » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:08 pm

I was referring more to marking in the house. He's house broken, but I've heard horror stories about male dogs marking indoors. Have these people had these issues as a result of inadequate house breaking from the start or is this behavior actually common and necessary to take action to prevent it? It has been my experience that my first male does not mark at all because he was neutered before the behavior ever developed so I really have no idea what to expect with an intact male. Any help would be great.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:05 am

We have 2 intac males and 2 females, one spayed, in the house. We have never had a problem with them marking in the house even when the one female is in heat. Can't say we did anything to prevent it they are just housebroke.

A side note - We had a female lab that would mark over a males mark, it was like she was saying you're my b!^*#. She even did this after she was spayed.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:14 am

SamnTuck wrote:I was referring more to marking in the house. He's house broken, but I've heard horror stories about male dogs marking indoors. Have these people had these issues as a result of inadequate house breaking from the start or is this behavior actually common and necessary to take action to prevent it? It has been my experience that my first male does not mark at all because he was neutered before the behavior ever developed so I really have no idea what to expect with an intact male. Any help would be great.
I have an intact 3 year old male. He will mark some outdoors, but never indoors. Housebroken properly, I don't think it will be an issue. It's been my experience that some males just mark more than others. I've never witnessed it indoors though.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:47 am

In am sympathetic to dogs in shelters and the general problem with the pet population but the myths about intact males are propagated by the various human societies, and vets are pressured by them. In NJ, you pay more for a license where I live and some kennels wont board intact
males.

naperdog

Post by naperdog » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:39 am

We have to pay more for un-neutred dogs in IL as well. This biggest reason we are getting our dog neutred is that we don't have the most secure yard and with all of the dogs in our area i don't really want him getting the scent of a female in heat. he could be out of our yard and gone in seconds. From what i have heard males will run for miles once they get a scent in their nose

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:47 am

Naper loosing his testicles will not cause his nose to quit working!! :)

naperdog

Post by naperdog » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:38 am

so even without nuts, a female in heat will still bring him running?

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:18 am

naperdog wrote:We have to pay more for un-neutred dogs in IL as well. This biggest reason we are getting our dog neutred is that we don't have the most secure yard and with all of the dogs in our area i don't really want him getting the scent of a female in heat. he could be out of our yard and gone in seconds. From what i have heard males will run for miles once they get a scent in their nose
I live in Illinois, and I don't pay any fee for a un-neutered dog. Is that just for the people silly enough to live in the metro area of northern Illinois? :lol:
big steve

naperdog

Post by naperdog » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:23 pm

Now that you mention it I think it is a county fee. If i remember right we have to pay an extra $40 when he gets his rabies shots. I beleive they take the money from us and then donate it to shelters. I guess their logic is that shelters would be empty if it wasn't for all those unfixed pets out there.

markerdown

Post by markerdown » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:02 pm

Wait until at least 24 months!!! Trust me, they need the testosterone/estrogen to develop muscle, bone and ligament strength. This is not a lap dog.

Don't listen to the spay/neuter @ 6 month idiots. Unfortunetly many cities/counties are adopting the higher fee or passing ordinances to spay/neuter dogs. Their rationale: too many un wanted pets

I went thru this in my city and recommended they spay/neuter every usless person on welfare to prevent proleferation of more deadbeats supported by my taxdollars. I had to pay a higher license fee for my intact male until I chose the time to neuter. .....................markerdown
Live simply Love generously.
Care deeply, Speak kindly.
Hug your GSP often
Leave the rest to God.

dualsetter

Post by dualsetter » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:38 pm

Had my setter neutered two weeks ago at 7 mos. He was cryptorchid (testes never dropped) and the procedure was pretty invasive and easier on him now than it would have been later. They were tucked up in his abdomen so this was a medically necessary procedure. furthurmore, the vet stated that the risk of testicular cancer increases ten-fold for intact cryptorchids so I did what I had to do.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:34 pm

you could always have him vasectomized. no chance of impregnating another dog, but you still have the testosterone present. you might have to get the right city council member to help you out on the registration cost, but i would think its worth a shot.