Puppy shots/dewormer

Birddog3412

Puppy shots/dewormer

Post by Birddog3412 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:04 pm

I give a 7way shot at 6,8,10,12 weeks. Then deworm with panacur at 3 months and start monthly ivomec. What do all of you do for puppy shots and deworming?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Puppy shots/dewormer

Post by mcbosco » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:16 pm

I have done a scaled down regiment for a while, 10 & 14 weeks Progard Puppy MLV then 1 year booster. I use Heartguard plus from May through October. Never use any wormer but drop stools off every 6 months. No lyme, lepto, corona. If I needed Bordetella I would use the nasal.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:02 pm

That is alot of what I was wondering, how many times people give puppy shots. They are not really that high, I just felt I was giving too much, even though it is recommended on the packaging.

Thanks

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:36 pm

This has always confused me.

Those of us with one or two dogs who use the vet almost exclusively, take a stool sample in once a year to have it checked for worms. Normally no dewormer needed.

Yet I read on here of most folks giving a monthly dewormer. ( "monthly ivomec") What is that all about?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:49 pm

Ivomec monthly is for heart worm prevention but also helps to prevent other worms aswell.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:59 pm

Ivomec is also used as a heartworm preventive . It works by killing any microfilia in the blood so it has to be given each month to kill whatever has started since last dose

I do not give puppies shots containing Lepto.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:25 pm

Ivermectin was introduced as probably the most broad-spectrum anti-parasite medication ever. It is effective against most common intestinal worms (except tapeworms), most mites, and some lice. It is not effective against fleas, ticks, flies, or flukes. It is effective against larval heartworms (the "microfilariae" that circulate in the blood) but not against adult heartworms (that live in the heart and pulmonary arteries), though technically it can shorten their lifespan.

The most common uses in small animal practice for ivermectin would include: monthly prevention of heartworm infection, treatment of ear mite situations, clearing heartworm larvae in active heartworm infection, treatment of sarcoptic, notoedric or demodectic mange.

It is mainly a financial issue, .25 cents a dose for ivomec or $10 plus for interceptor or heartguard. Ivomec is not labeled for use in dog (it is labeled for foxes) but is works. It should not be used on shepards, collies, or sheepdogs.

It seems all meds for dogs and other small animals are alot higher than they are for large animals, it is because most people only have one or two dogs and will pay it. For instance my vet charges $10 to casterate a bull but $120 to casterate a dog (ansthesia is used for dog, that makes up some of the fee). Panacur is $8 for a horse but $20 for a dog. My vet charges a $26 exam fee to just see my dog, but no fee for horses or cattle. And I know this is stretching it a little because of the amount fed to cattle compared to a dog, but we feed our show cattle Purina Show Chow, it is $9.80 for a 50lb bag... while Purina pro plan is over $50 a 40lb bag. I just get a little agrevated about this at tax time, and I see how much I am spending.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:02 am

ivomec will kill fleas and ticks, just doesnt have any lasting effect like frontline, etc.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:25 am

dog dr wrote:ivomec will kill fleas and ticks, just doesnt have any lasting effect like frontline, etc.
I use Ivomec for a topical treatment of lice and mites on my pigeons. Is it applied as a topical for ticks and fleas on dogs?

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:47 am

Coveyrise64 wrote:
dog dr wrote:ivomec will kill fleas and ticks, just doesnt have any lasting effect like frontline, etc.
I use Ivomec for a topical treatment of lice and mites on my pigeons. Is it applied as a topical for ticks and fleas on dogs?

Coveyrise64

could be, but usually oral or injectable

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:24 am

Has about a 24-48 hour effect

as for my program
Neopar at 5 weeks then Galaxy 5 way at 7 9 11 and 13 weeks of age

wormers pyrantal pamoate at 2 and 4 weeks then add ivermec at 6 weeks

I do not let my pups go before 7 weeks of age so they have at least 2 shots before leaving this has worked the best for me over the years
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:20 am

I did a little research on neopar. I assume you are giving it for the first shot because it is more potent, then switching to Galaxy because of price?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:26 am

http://www.atozvetsupply.com/NEOPAR-p/10-ntbase.htm

neopar is only a parvo vaccine * NEOPAR® overrides moderate to high antibody levels such as those found in puppies having maternal antibodies or in dogs from pre-existing vaccination. It can be used successfully as a booster for a pre-existing vaccination. Puppies vaccinated with
* NEOPAR® generated high levels of the IgM and IgG classes of antibodies. Secretory immunity was engendered in the gut. Reversion to virulence does not occur. Field studies indicate that this vaccine is safe in puppies 3 weeks of age or older.

http://www.atozvetsupply.com/GALAXY-DA2 ... pg5-25.htm

the Galaxy DA2PPv is for the vaccination of healthy dogs against diseases caused by canine distemper virus, adenovirus type 1 (hepatitis) and adenovirus type 2 (respiratory disease), canine parainfluenza virus, and canine parvovirus.

Prior to Neopar I had same schedule with a 5 way
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:32 am

Birddog3412,
Where are you located that Purina Pro Plan is $50, not doubting you at all just curious.....It's 36.99 for #37 here in central illinois

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:07 pm

I give Vanguard Puppyshot at 5 wks and a Booster at 7, 9, and 12 wks. I deworm with Nemex starting at 3 wks then go every week.
brenda

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:09 pm

Holy Cow you guys vaccinate a whole lot more and earlier than I do!! The newer research (actually a couple of years old) from Ronald Schultz is saying to vaccinate starting at 8 weeks and then at 12 and 16. The vet school at NC State is also advising that.

I vaccinate at 8, 12, and 16 weeks with Pfizer Vanguard Plus5. I worm my pups starting at 3 weeks with Nemex (although it now has a new name) Rabies vaccines are given to my dogs at 20 weeks. I start vaccinating for Lepto when pups are about 6-10 mos..
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:12 pm

lvrgsp wrote:Birddog3412,
Where are you located that Purina Pro Plan is $50, not doubting you at all just curious.....It's 36.99 for #37 here in central illinois

Im in central Illinois also, I do not feed purina pro plan, i just searched a couple sights and put a modest average price, here is one of them $54.99 for a 37lb bag

http://www.ranchoutlet.com/mfg_Purina-P ... pplies.htm

I feed Red Flannel Prime made by PMI industries (very happy with it) it is about $23 for a 50# and every 6 bags you buy you get a free bag. I have been feeding it about 2 years excluding a 3 month trial of Diamond Extreme athlete.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:02 pm

It's much clearer now. :roll:

Snips: You deworm every week?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:40 pm

I have seen and heard of all to many pups get parvo by 7-8 weeks of age. I am in a high traffic area of people dogs and coyotes so I do earlier program via a vets suggestion and the one time I listened to another new vet I regretted it on a litter of the S/O setter pups.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:04 pm

CherrystoneWeims wrote:Holy Cow you guys vaccinate a whole lot more and earlier than I do!! The newer research (actually a couple of years old) from Ronald Schultz is saying to vaccinate starting at 8 weeks and then at 12 and 16. The vet school at NC State is also advising that.

I vaccinate at 8, 12, and 16 weeks with Pfizer Vanguard Plus5. I worm my pups starting at 3 weeks with Nemex (although it now has a new name) Rabies vaccines are given to my dogs at 20 weeks. I start vaccinating for Lepto when pups are about 6-10 mos..

Yeah they do. Dodd's Protocol or some version like at NC State has been adopted by all the Vet schools. Vaccinating before 8 weeks is not only a waste of money but potentially dangerous.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:22 pm

I have done it ths way for close to 30 yrs. Not a problem with even 1 pup. I will stick to it:)
brenda

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:20 am

mcbosco wrote:
CherrystoneWeims wrote:Holy Cow you guys vaccinate a whole lot more and earlier than I do!! The newer research (actually a couple of years old) from Ronald Schultz is saying to vaccinate starting at 8 weeks and then at 12 and 16. The vet school at NC State is also advising that.

Yeah they do. Dodd's Protocol or some version like at NC State has been adopted by all the Vet schools. Vaccinating before 8 weeks is not only a waste of money but potentially dangerous.

cant be more dangerous than parvo. a client of ours lost almost 3 whole litters to parvo before we had him start using neopar at 2 weeks. he was vaccinating at 6 weeks prior to that. the neopar stopped it cold. i think he has since moved it back to 4 or 5 weeks now.

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:09 pm

CherrystoneWeims wrote:Holy Cow you guys vaccinate a whole lot more and earlier than I do!! The newer research (actually a couple of years old) from Ronald Schultz .........
Want to get a Southern WI/Northern IL vet with 15+ years of working experience, especially those with experience in field/hunting/performance dogs, worked up? Mention the words "Ronald Schultz". The guys who graduated from Madison tend to get really worked up about him. These are guys that see squeaky fresh new vets & interns straight from Madison. The protocols they come into the clinics with is immediately replaced by the clinic's standing protocols, which are always more aggressive about vaccinating.

My own vet nailed it right on the head when he said "we vaccinated aggressively for years, to the point where certain diseases became very rare. So then the guys stuck on University campuses decided we didn't need to vaccinate so aggressively. And now we see things we've not seen for decades. I wonder why! Sporting breed pups usually are exposed to a much wider range of viruses and bacteria, both in disease type and geographical location, in their first 6 months of life than the average pet dog. As a result, we need to give them as much protection, via vaccine, as is reasonably possible. I have yet to see a dog die from over-vaccinating, but I see them die of under-vaccinating on a regular basis"

All of the studies look at a very wide range of puppies. The pups we all breed, own and sell are not sold to the "typical owner"; they are whelped in one corner of the country, shipped to another part of the country, and then at 6 months the pup is put with a pro who is traveling all over the place. That's a perspective that I those broad-based university recommendations don't address.

JMO,
Dave

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:20 pm

Dave Quindt wrote:
CherrystoneWeims wrote:Holy Cow you guys vaccinate a whole lot more and earlier than I do!! The newer research (actually a couple of years old) from Ronald Schultz .........
Want to get a Southern WI/Northern IL vet with 15+ years of working experience, especially those with experience in field/hunting/performance dogs, worked up? Mention the words "Ronald Schultz". The guys who graduated from Madison tend to get really worked up about him. These are guys that see squeaky fresh new vets & interns straight from Madison. The protocols they come into the clinics with is immediately replaced by the clinic's standing protocols, which are always more aggressive about vaccinating.

My own vet nailed it right on the head when he said "we vaccinated aggressively for years, to the point where certain diseases became very rare. So then the guys stuck on University campuses decided we didn't need to vaccinate so aggressively. And now we see things we've not seen for decades. I wonder why! Sporting breed pups usually are exposed to a much wider range of viruses and bacteria, both in disease type and geographical location, in their first 6 months of life than the average pet dog. As a result, we need to give them as much protection, via vaccine, as is reasonably possible. I have yet to see a dog die from over-vaccinating, but I see them die of under-vaccinating on a regular basis"

All of the studies look at a very wide range of puppies. The pups we all breed, own and sell are not sold to the "typical owner"; they are whelped in one corner of the country, shipped to another part of the country, and then at 6 months the pup is put with a pro who is traveling all over the place. That's a perspective that I those broad-based university recommendations don't address.

JMO,
Dave

well said

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Thanks guys for one of the MOST HELPFUL threads I have ever seen on any forum. There was lots of "vet school" info as well as practical experienced based advise.

I have used an aggressive shot program for almost 30 years now after having Parvo problems in the early 80's. Every so often I start to second guess myself and start to think I'm overdoing it. I haven't had a case of Parvo since about 82, so I'm not gonna fix what is working without some real concrete evidence that I'm doing harm.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:24 pm

Sharon wrote:It's much clearer now. :roll:

Snips: You deworm every week?
Yes. That is what is recommended on the Nemex bottle. It is very safe and pups lap it up. After about 2 doses they just stand up and lap it right from the syringe:)
brenda

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:45 am

Is that a prescription medication?

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:00 am

No it is not a prescription wormer. It is pyrantel, the same chemical in HeartGuard Plus.

The same chemical can be prescription at one level and not at another. Always wise to check if you don't know for sure.

Ezzy

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:57 am

Great thread. I just started doing my own vaccines and am pretty much following what my vet does. DHPP (I'm using Vanguard) between 6-7 weeks, then again at 11 and 16 weeks. Rabies at 16 weeks and lepto at 5-6 months if at all. I've heard that I am wasting time and money for giving that first shot so young, but our farm sees so much traffic--human, canine, wildlife--that I am uncomfortable exposing unvaccinated pups to it all. The nemex I started at 5 weeks and have given every other week, but in the future, I will start that younger and more often.

Doc--tell me more about the neopar. Is that for parvo only? Parvo is my biggest fear and the reason I vaccinate younger than the WCA recommends. Is it perscription only?

Aline
http://zzfarms.com
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:08 pm