Nebraska Pheasant Hunting

uthunter

Nebraska Pheasant Hunting

Post by uthunter » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:20 pm

I am from Utah and my father in-law is purchasing a 13,000 acre ranch in Cherry County NE. The ranch is located just west of Merriman on the Hwy 20. He has asked me to go out there with him just after the first of the year and look at the ranch. I am wanting to take my dog and shotgun so I can chase Pheasants while he is in meetings. can any of you locals give me an idea of this area? Is it a good area that holds birds. I am not looking for your hunting spots because I will be hunting the private ranch he is buying. I just want to know if the bird numbers in that area are good or not.

Can anyone from that area of who has maybe hunted in that area give me some help?

Thanks

Coldwater

Re: Nebraska Pheasant Hunting

Post by Coldwater » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:45 pm

Not Sure , but I would be willing to go along and help you find out.

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:33 am

Uthunter,

I live two counties to the east of Cherry and have had decent luck on seeing birds. I would figure that you should be able to find some birds if the habitat is there. Grouse numbers have been good this year too but if you are coming after the first of the year that season will be closed. The area around Valentine has some birds but like I said, habitat makes a big difference. Chadron to the west of Merriman has some decent numbers to from what I have heard. If you want to PM me with some more info, I can touch base with a few people that I know that may have better info. Good luck

Jeff

grousewoods

Post by grousewoods » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:52 pm

uthunter,
Sorry I can't help you out about the birds but if there are good bird numbers do you have a single sister in-law no photos needed :P

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:19 pm

I woukf guess the pheasant hunting will not be that great if at all. Depending on lots of things but the Sandhills area isn't very good for pheasant hunting. I will guess there to be thousands of prairie chiickens and sharptails. Let me know how it goes though.
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:51 pm

That's good sharptail country, pretty spotty for pheasant. If he bought a ranch, I'm guessing that's mostly grassland. In the low, wet areas I am sure you will find some good numbers of pheasant, otherwise the further west you go the more cropland you will run into. Around Gordon (40 mi west), the phez numbers have been very good this fall but they just had one heck of a blizzard that is likely to put a wet blanket on that.

The good news is, that is some superb deer hunting in that country and if he has any timbered draws, the turkey population is out of control up that way.

uthunter

Post by uthunter » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:18 pm

That's what I was looking for. His property has a lake on it and a few steams running through it. They grow a lot of hay and some corn. the rest is grasslands for grazing Cattle.

bootsie814

Post by bootsie814 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:36 pm

Do you know the name of the ranch he bought? I am from the county just south of there. (Grant) I no longer live in western NE, but family tell me that there have been quite a few grouse and pheasants in the area. I was supposed to go hunting in northern Grant county over Christmas, but we have had blizzard here that put the brakes on that. Good luck with the hunting!

boots
"Just when you think you're a man of importance, try ordering another man's dog around."

airmedic1

Post by airmedic1 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:02 pm

Boots:

What town in Grant county? I used to date a girl from the Hyannis/Ashby area. Do you still hunt? :twisted: :D
Of all the places I've been, this is one of them!

uthunter

Post by uthunter » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:56 pm

the Coofey Lake Ranch.

bootsie814

Post by bootsie814 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:07 pm

I haven't heard of the Coofey Lake Ranch, but I've been gone for several years. There is some beautiful scenery up there. You should check out the Snake River when the weather is warmer. People canoe down it and there are some falls on the eastern end.
"Just when you think you're a man of importance, try ordering another man's dog around."

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:07 pm

I've driven through that area quite a bit this fall and their pheasant numbers in the wet lowlands areas are really good right now. Another good summer with no drought and you'll be looking at some good hunting there. There isn't any cropland but the tall grasses and hay meadows as well as the marshes hold some good numbers now.

uthunter

Post by uthunter » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:04 am

Thats good to hear. It does not look like I am going to get there this season but next year will be fun. Plus my pup will be hunting age so i will be able to run both my dogs together.

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:51 pm

Does your wife have a sister, might have to trade mine in..... :mrgreen:

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:19 pm

uthunter wrote:Thats good to hear. It does not look like I am going to get there this season but next year will be fun. Plus my pup will be hunting age so i will be able to run both my dogs together.

Make sure you take some rubber walking boots along. Lots of surface groundwater in those low areas.