Looking for names of dog haulers

okchiefsfan

Looking for names of dog haulers

Post by okchiefsfan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:02 am

I'm just looking for names and phone numbers of dog haulers in the midwest or perhaps nationwide. I've been told that using dog haulers is a lot less complicated than flying pups or dogs. I've always sold my pups locally or within a reasonable driving distance but have a few people interested in my pups that are not very close. Thanks for your help.

BdBHunts

Re: Looking for names of dog haulers

Post by BdBHunts » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:35 pm

Where are you hauling to? I can check with some hound guys.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:36 pm

I used "Vegabond Hounds" a few months ago to ship from Kansas to New York. They took about 5 days to make the trip, but took great care of the 11 week old pup. They let the pup stay in the cab due to cold temps. I wished they could have made better time, but I didn't have much choice since it was too cold to ship with the airlines.

Nitrex

okchiefsfan

Post by okchiefsfan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:44 pm

BdBHunts - Guymon, OK to around Verlan, UT.

Nitrex - Thanks for the info. I'll check into using them.

BdBHunts

Post by BdBHunts » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:49 pm

PM me your contact info.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:39 pm

I have used these guys in the past, Redwing Hound haulers Chuck Thomas. 208-263-6007, Cell 509-680-2602 . They did a good job for me both times and were MUCH easier than the airlines to deal with.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:09 pm

Duane M wrote:I have used these guys in the past, Redwing Hound haulers Chuck Thomas. 208-263-6007, Cell 509-680-2602 . They did a good job for me both times and were MUCH easier than the airlines to deal with.
I can second Redwing Hound Haulers had a pup brought from GA to OK, no problems at all. Easy to deal with.

okchiefsfan

Post by okchiefsfan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:53 pm

Thanks guys

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:46 pm

I had a very bad experience with Redwing Hound Haulers. He quoted me a price and a approximate delivery date.
Dog was two weeks late and evey time I called Chuck he had excuses. When I picked the dog up he was extremely skinny, stained yellow with piss and he tried to charge me $50 more bucks. Said the pup was too old and he needed more money. After a few choice words from me he settled for the original price.
Do a search for redwing hound haulers and see the negative posts on other forums.
I will never, ever use him again. For a few extra bucks I have flown two other dogs in and never had one bit of problems with any airlines.

BdBHunts

Post by BdBHunts » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:34 pm

I had a dog shipped to me by NWA from Iowa to Ontario for breeding, no problems there and back. Had a pup shipped from Tucson to Ontario, same airline, delay in Dallas but the pup was fine. Shipped two pups together to LAX from the extreme opposite side of the continent, Newfoundland, for $250 with Air Canada, no problems.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:00 pm

I've used American Airlines a least 10 times and have never had a problem.

Nitrex

Singleshot

Post by Singleshot » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:04 pm

I just used a guy from Illinois. Excellent results and I would/will use him again. Picked a dog up in TX on Sunday and was here last night (monday).

Mark Hinkle cell # is 815-509-1469, shop # 815-984-3115

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:29 am

Problem I found with airlines is last year the standards changed. Adult dogs depending on breed cannot ship via air, the dog MUST be able to stand erect without the head touching the crate which means even for a small Pointer I had to buy a crate designed for a Great Dane. With airlines you also have the temperature issues which have gotten stricter over the last few years, in Daves case location of a major airport is a big issue as well I bet.

Intersting experience Steve to say the least. I found out about Red Wing through the coon hound guys one who ships about 100 dogs a year with them, and none had any issues with them ever. I had a problem with one ground transport place though that was similar to yours outside the cost thing so I am not saying these things don't happen.

Steavan Ball

Post by Steavan Ball » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:10 pm

try us for your next dog to be hauled resonable rates, stops every 4 to 6 hrs to water, excerice your pet, insurance on your dog itself USDA liscense.......... try us you want be disappointed

www.salvationkennel.com

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:02 pm

Duane M wrote:Problem I found with airlines is last year the standards changed. Adult dogs depending on breed cannot ship via air, the dog MUST be able to stand erect without the head touching the crate which means even for a small Pointer I had to buy a crate designed for a Great Dane.
I guess it all depends on the airline, or better yet, the person that is checking the dog in. I just shipped a 47# GSP from Kansas to Los Angles via Dallas/Ft. Worth. She could stand up and turn around, but it was a standard large crate. I think the measurements were 36L x 22W x 26H. The total weight was about 75# and cost me about $225.

Nitrex

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:31 am

Myles Guffy 417-247-0533. He has been hauling dogs for me for a few years and I really like the care he provides. He is located in MO.

NM quail hunter

Post by NM quail hunter » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:45 pm

Ive used Vagabond Hounds and also Adventure bound gundogs (I believe his name is Chuck) both did a good job getting the dogs down here in good shape, both ran about $400.00 to get the dogs to NM, PM me if you want there numbers.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Tue May 04, 2010 8:38 am

nitrex wrote:
Duane M wrote:Problem I found with airlines is last year the standards changed. Adult dogs depending on breed cannot ship via air, the dog MUST be able to stand erect without the head touching the crate which means even for a small Pointer I had to buy a crate designed for a Great Dane.
I guess it all depends on the airline, or better yet, the person that is checking the dog in. I just shipped a 47# GSP from Kansas to Los Angles via Dallas/Ft. Worth. She could stand up and turn around, but it was a standard large crate. I think the measurements were 36L x 22W x 26H. The total weight was about 75# and cost me about $225.

Nitrex
Must have been a small dog in heigth. I shipped one to LA last year for my friend just back from Iraq, Pointer female not a big one either and had to buy a 700 class vari kennel for her, no way she would have fit in that kennels dimensions you listed. I know that some of my adult males would not even fit in that according to federal regs, it's not an airline choice it is federal regs, but the person doing the check in can make a difference as well I guess. I have used Myles that Ross listed as well but had forgotten his name and contact info, good operation.

SeaSprite

Post by SeaSprite » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:26 am

Yes, the airlines have changed all of their guidelines and not just the size and height of crates.

NOW, any crate larger than a 400 series must be transported between HUB airports.

i.e. I am trying to get my Ibizan Hound here to Montana from Illinois. The closest airport is St. Louis International Lambert Field.
HOWEVER, NO AIRLINE will accept a 500 Series crate at St. Louis which is what she MUST travel in except at HUBs. So she would have to
be driven to Indianapolis and shipped from there. BUT she would not come to Montana. She would be shipped from Indianapolis
to HOUSTON. From Houston, she would be routed to either, Denver, SLC or Seattle where I would have to pick her up. There
is no option to receive a Series 500 crate within Montana. :x

And the cost?? Over $1,000 and that did not include the cost of the crate or my costs of traveling to get her at one of the HUBs.

It is over a 3,000 round-trip drive for me to go pick her up in Illinois but even with the cost of gas, it would be cheaper except
that it is the wrong time of year to attempt that lengthy of a trip by car.

So here I am stuck - a great dog in Illinois but no way to get her to Montana.

I have tried multiple dog transport businesses without success so far. I will try some of these numbers even if this blog is over
two years old.