Hunting Etiquette

bossman

Hunting Etiquette

Post by bossman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:59 am

Going to the prairie's of Nebraska and Montana for grouse, huns, and a few pheasants. Could be 6 or 7 hunters. 10 -11 GSP's. Would love some input on how many dogs on the ground at the same time are too many? How many shooters at the same time are too many? Assume different dogs may be handled by different owners. I'm really just trying to get some comfirmation on my opionion. We will not be hunting corn rows,etc....Thanks

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Re: Hunting Etiquette

Post by birddogger » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:35 pm

FWIW, I prefer to not have over four dogs on the ground at one time and a maximum of four gunners. I would only have two of my own dogs on the ground at one time. Keep in mind, I am only going on the areas I hunt, so it might be different in big wide open areas.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Kirklan1

Post by Kirklan1 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:35 pm

Big groups of hunters and dogs like that is way too many in the same place. I prefer to split up when the group has more than 3-4 people and personally 2 per group is ideal. We usually just set a time or distance to meet back at the truck at, etc. You should have plenty enough room to split things up where your going.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:04 pm

2 dogs down, 2 live guns per find. Any more dogs is a cluster, any more live guns is dangerous.

Personally I don't care for big hunting parties like that. Someone is always having a crisis of some sort - running late, forgot something, etc. I would definitely say you guys will want to divide and conquer like Kirklan suggests vs. going for the carpet bomb approach. Personally, for my hard earned vacation time, give me one or two die hard hunting buddies with one or two dogs apiece, hunting 2 at a time, and we'll usually have an enjoyable, productive time. :wink:

triplebbirddog

Post by triplebbirddog » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:59 pm

I agree on divide and conquer. If you choose to hunt with party hunt with what can be controlled in the enviroment. If it don't feel right probably not.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:32 pm

I won't hunt with more than three guns and three dogs on the ground at once, and i hunt the open praries and sand hills of Western Oklahoma.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:38 am

I would think it all would depend upon the dogs and the hunters.
For me,one dog and two hunters is tops in Iowa and Kansas, and more so for ruffed grouse, et al but I have no interest in seeing "backs or packs" however when we have 6 dogs in the truck that limits each their time in a day.
I don't get the skirmish line hunting fun thing but the "etiquette" part falls upon the individual dog owner...if he can control his dog then the number of dogs can be increased to ...whatever.
The individual dog owner should and must be the one to say..."I'll head this way as Pooch don't play well with others."
That is not slam on Pooch and is a plus for Pooch's owner, to me.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:41 pm

Split into 2 groups of 3. 2 dogs down at a time. Change dogs out every 1.5 hours.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

bossman

Post by bossman » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:21 pm

Thanks for all the input. I would agree, 2 dogs and 2 live guns is ideal, three live guns at the most. More than that it gets to be confusing. Particularly if the other dogs are not under control. Could end up with people shooting over 3 different finds and pellet's going in all directions. May be from the old school, but must maintain consideration for the other hunter's, the dog's and the bird's...Thanks

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:18 pm

bossman wrote:Thanks for all the input. I would agree, 2 dogs and 2 live guns is ideal, three live guns at the most. More than that it gets to be confusing. Particularly if the other dogs are not under control. Could end up with people shooting over 3 different finds and pellet's going in all directions. May be from the old school, but must maintain consideration for the other hunter's, the dog's and the bird's...Thanks
I may get flamed for this but there is a simple solution to that. I don't hunt with people who do not have control over their dogs.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:58 am

Gentlemen,
I agree small hunting parties are the way to go, 4 dogs max, that is two dogs for each owner/hunter and two guns. However I prefer using the triangle Grouse hunting technique that calls for one dog and two gunners, on oppsite sides of a serious Grouse dog. To me other than hunting alone, its the very best way to hunt and enjoy your dog.
RGD/Dave