Where to go?

ddoyle

Where to go?

Post by ddoyle » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:50 pm

All right know that is an easy straight line! But what I am asking is where to go to bird hunt? Live in EC Iowa and there are no birds over here anymore! Last year we went to NW Iowa and saw birds but that is a 6 hour drive so the thought process why not invest more time driving and get somewhere great. He are things looking forublic land and wild birds, cabin or lodge to rent so buddies can stay together, and somewhere 10 to 12 hour drive from EC Iowa.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Doyle

Birddogz

Re: Where to go?

Post by Birddogz » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:12 pm

Larned , KS is one place that would be a good place. Lots of birds. Phez more than quail, but quail are there. ND is great as well. Sharpies, Huns, Phez. Many places are very good. SW part of the state has the most phez. If I were you I might try Northern Wisconsin for grouse. Lots of cabins and the grouse are in very good supply. Ruffs are so darn fun. Try Clam Lake, WI. I always did well there. Go about October 15th.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:00 pm

Central Eastern South Dakota for Phez. Go in late October. Opening day crowd is mostly gone & in a normal year crops are more harvested than not. The strip from Aberdeen South to Winner has good populations of Phez. even in non peak times. Hunt W.I.A.-s, Game Prod. areas,
Waterfowl Prod. areas (cat tail sloughs and edges). If you have a "Private land" connection out there all the better.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:31 am

South Dakota is a great trip, just much more pressure.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:37 pm

Birddogz wrote:Larned , KS is one place that would be a good place. Lots of birds. Phez more than quail, but quail are there. ND is great as well. Sharpies, Huns, Phez. Many places are very good. SW part of the state has the most phez. If I were you I might try Northern Wisconsin for grouse. Lots of cabins and the grouse are in very good supply. Ruffs are so darn fun. Try Clam Lake, WI. I always did well there. Go about October 15th.

Larned KS is a good spot but it also gets a TON of pressure.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:35 pm

Nothing compared to SD.

triplebbirddog

Post by triplebbirddog » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:17 pm

South Dakota public land from the eastern border west past pierre is good hunting. the james river valley from mitchell up through aberdeen is hot but a lot of flooding this year. If crops are out find the biggest chunks of public and go. Brookings area is good if crops are out. lost of area. timed right north dakota could be fun waterfowl bird/ upland hunts.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:25 pm

Don;t overlook north central Nebraska.....lotta birds and less pressure.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno