Heel/Here by side

ledl2048

Heel/Here by side

Post by ledl2048 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:23 am

So I have been through formal obedience, FF, CC, pile work, some casting work, etc with my lab. We took quite some time off due to school, work, and an internship I had. I have been refreshing drills with him everyday now and when it is cooler, I will throw marks in the evenings. My question is this:

When I was doing obedience when he was younger, I never did the heel "meaning back up or turn to the left" and here "swing with me and turn to the right" (this is the dog is on my left side). I would like to teach him this as it seems very useful and is always present in dogs running tests and trials. I have the SW and TRT systems and primarily followed TRT, but would you drills and FF from SW as it was easier to understand by me. Is there a good video or demonstration on teaching the dog this? I use a pinch collar and heeling stick when doing obedience. He is a big lab and just trying to turn him turn with the collar does not work. He does not understand that I am trying to just keep him at heel and facing the direction I am.

Thanks in advance!

triplebbirddog

Re: Heel/Here by side

Post by triplebbirddog » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:26 pm

when you are starting go back to heel and while he is heeling take a step forward before turning. he should follow and turn with you. do 10 to 20 minutes of this every day until he his traveling and turning with you. you may need to walk more than one step at first. make him successful following and turning. once he is doing this back down to fewer steps until you are standing and turning. have someone help you and as soon as dog turns with you have them throw a bumper. it will show dog that there is a reward for following on the turn. make it fun. good luck and don't shortcut repetitions.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:07 am

Wagon Wheel Lining drill. In its basic state, WWLD is far more about moving with the handler than it is about lining. Start with 4 bumpers 90 degrees apart (four-way drill), and advance at the dog's pace.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:45 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bdFZAwCo5s

Not exactly what you're asking for, but you can get "here" from there.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:20 pm

You're getting some excellent advice on the other board you requested this information on. I'd look at that again.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:00 am

*You* gave him some great advice elsewhere on executing, GH - I only chimed in with the whys and wherefores of having a dog that will align with you, whether in the duck blind or especially in trials or tests, which was what he asked for. It's almost a science and among the most fun a dog trainer can have with yardwork - especially the backward heeling. No matter how many dogs, including your own, you've seen go in reverse on four legs, it's something to behold every time.

MG