Retrieving

heelerdog

Retrieving

Post by heelerdog » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:25 am

Hello all.
New to the forum, and new to gun dog ownership. I adopted a fairly well trained 2 yo GSP last month. He is awesome. For the most part as he is I have no complaints. Right now he is better than 80% of the dogs I have hunted with in the past. My question is I tried a little retrieving with him tonight. Nothing too serious. He retrieved the dummy the first couple throws, very soft mouthed by the way, then lost interest completely. Wouldn't leave my side, just no interest in running it down. When we go on our daily walks (anywhere from 2-5 miles for me), I dont have the leash on him at all. Lots, and lots of distractions on the walks too, deer, rabbits, birds, birds, and more birds. Should I even concern myself with this, and just be content in the fact I have a great dog already?

Thanks in advance for all replies
Dan

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Retrieving

Post by ACooper » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:16 am

Some dogs get bored with retrieving quickly, no need to throw it more than a couple of times. Make sure you stop before he does. Praise him a lot when he does bring the dummy. How does he retrieve birds?

triplebbirddog

Post by triplebbirddog » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:42 pm

great point about not letting dog get bored. short and sweet. try and track down a pigeon pull flight feathers and see what he does with life movement and smell. i am betting he will dig it. same thing applies STOP before he does. aquiring a 2 year old dog not only has an adjustment period for you but also the dog. Don't be in a hurry, love him and love him up some more. even at 2 you got plenty of good years with the gsp.

mmduncan

Post by mmduncan » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:43 am

Show him its fun toss it up and play it up as much as you can just a few retrieves is fine then put it up when he really wanting more. Also zip tie a wing to the bumper that oughta keep him interested longer and after he gets that desire built up take the wing off. good luck
HRCH Walkers Puddle Jumpin Koda "KODA"
Duncan's Haulin a Limit "LIMIT"