e-collar replacement

Danro

e-collar replacement

Post by Danro » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:33 pm

hey guys, i'm just wondering how often you replace your e-collars. I have a dogtra system that ive been using for about a year and i still absolutely love it, but i've noticed the battery life decreasing a bit. should i ride it out till its dead or begin saving to replace it? i love dogtra collars but id be willing to try another unit if anyone has any suggestions.
"They asked, and He brought quail...."
Psalm 105:40

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: e-collar replacement

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:35 pm

I had a classic 70 for 8 years which out lasted a bunch of other collars. I went to the Pro 100 because i needed the little lower intensity levels for my program...I sold my classic 70 which had to have the battery replaced a couple years ago and the client that has it still loves it as it still as reliable as the day i bought it
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:03 pm

I used to use a Dogtra also. Replaced it back in late '08. At that point it was 4 years old and the battery would no longer hold charge at all. Really the last year the battery would only hold charge for short periods of time. I needed a multi-dog unit anyway so I repleaced with a Tri-Tronics one. That was almost 2 years ago and it still holds charge better than the Dogtra did when it was brand new.

You can buy replacement batteries for the Dogtra. These guys usually carry most of the Dogtra batteries http://www.collarclinic.com/. Probably run you about $45 -$50 for both transmitter and collar. I'd just ride it out if you are still happy with it.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:07 am

A fellow who used to service electronics told me this about rechargeable batteries...

If you freeze them, they will very often be once again able to take a full charge.I have never tried it myself.

I would put a battery depeleted collar and transmitter in a Ziplock bag and stick it in the freezer overnight . Can't hurt anything and if it restores the battery's capacity, you just saved a bunch of time and expense.

RayG