Decon Poisoning

rkelly

Decon Poisoning

Post by rkelly » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:29 pm

Anybodys dog ever get into Decon? Mine got into a small amount this weekend in a barn. So far isn't showing any signs or symptoms, but I guess it can take a few days. Took her to the vet today and got her on Vitamin K1 for 3 weeks.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Decon Poisoning

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:31 pm

Sorry to hear, hope all turns out well,,,,,,
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:34 pm

If you know the dog has eaten something you can induce vomiting with a dose of Peroxide.
brenda

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:12 am

rkelly wrote:Anybodys dog ever get into Decon? Mine got into a small amount this weekend in a barn. So far isn't showing any signs or symptoms, but I guess it can take a few days. Took her to the vet today and got her on Vitamin K1 for 3 weeks.
This is probably belt and suspenders but if you are feeding any type of fish oil or omega 3 supplement check with your vet. I frankly would stop until the pup is in the clear. Vitamin K1-3 is used to support clotting factors and you wouldn't want to supplement with anything that could negate it.

Just something to check on.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:44 am

snips wrote:If you know the dog has eaten something you can induce vomiting with a dose of Peroxide.
Always consult a vet or the Veterinary Poison Control Center. If you cannot make vet contact immediately & suspect a dog has eaten some poison you can induce vomiting with a cup of hydrogen peroxide OR a tablespoon of table salt. Vomiting should be induced as soon as possible to limit any digestion.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:22 am

BigShooter wrote:
snips wrote:If you know the dog has eaten something you can induce vomiting with a dose of Peroxide.
Always consult a vet or the Veterinary Poison Control Center. If you cannot make vet contact immediately & suspect a dog has eaten some poison you can induce vomiting with a cup of hydrogen peroxide OR a tablespoon of table salt. Vomiting should be induced as soon as possible to limit any digestion.
I'm not disagreeing with either of these statements but I'll add that in humans poison control has all but abandoned induced vomitting. If you see the dog eat something it's one thing but many times if it's been very long it's already been digested, plus if it's caustic it can cause more damage coming up than going down (especially if it's aspirated into the lungs on the way out). Most of what we do now is put a neutralizing agent in. The other posters are on track in that mouse poisoning is essentially the same thing humans take to prevent clotting for heart disease, blood clots in the leg etc.....except in larger, uncontrolled amounts.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:48 am

Most people are familiar with the chemical under the name Coumadin.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:34 am

Ethylene glycol in antifreeze & coumadin (anti-clotting chemical) in mouse or rat bait are probably two of the most common substances dogs will get into. Neither are caustic agents like gasoline or Draino. Vomiting must be induced within minutes, not hours and veterinary consultation is strongly recommended.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:10 pm

BigShooter wrote:Ethylene glycol in antifreeze & coumadin (anti-clotting chemical) in mouse or rat bait are probably two of the most common substances dogs will get into. Neither are caustic agents like gasoline or Draino. Vomiting must be induced within minutes, not hours and veterinary consultation is strongly recommended.
agreed

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:21 am

Couple years ago, upta camp, my Stella a 50 pound brit came from her visit next door, she was carrying a partial block of rat poison. I only gave her about 4 or 5 tblsp of Peroxide and she heaved all up. Then took her to the vets some 40 min away and they gave her the VK shot and charcoal. She was fine but all happened that quick, I did not wait and see. Always prepare for the worst and hope for the best. That is my philosophy. I knew what she got into and it came up, I could see chunks of the block.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

rkelly

Post by rkelly » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:38 am

Well she has been on Vit K three weeks as of last Saturday. I have had her off it 3 days now and had to bring her in for blood work. Said prothrombin clotting times are actually better than normal and should be totally out of the woods now. Time to get back to hunting, heading out to ND tomorrow for a long weekend.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:41 am

Good news & we'll be expecting a hunting report.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

rkelly

Post by rkelly » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:18 pm

Hunting was good. Plenty of birds around. Temps were still a little higher than I would like, but still a great time out on the prairies.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:51 pm

A little windy last Fri. & Sat. on the prairies. I'm stuck & can't go out until next weekend.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM