5 mos old GSP - how much exposure

perro flaco

5 mos old GSP - how much exposure

Post by perro flaco » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:25 pm

I have a 5 mos old gsp bitch - first one. I have been getting her on wild birds (chukar) since she was 4 mos with a cap gun (3-4 times per week). She is pointing some and busting some. This past wknd took her on first "hunt" - short 2 hour hunt. I got a couple points and killed a few birds. She found them - no retrieve yet. Everything I've read says exposure to wild birds is a great teacher. I'm just wondering if at this age how much actual hunting she should be doing? Ideally I would like to have her steady to wing and shot at some point. I guess my question is this: I've read alot of posts on here about taking it slow and easy with puppies keeping it fun (which I'm 100% for) but if she likes to go hunting, is crazy about birds, and isn't bothered by the gun is there some reason I shouldn't take her until she is older?

BrittGSP818

Re: 5 mos old GSP - how much exposure

Post by BrittGSP818 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:59 pm

Short answer is, No, I believe it is never too early if the pup is able to handle what is thrown at it. My 6 month old gsp/brittany is steady to wing and shot (most of the time) after teaching him just a couple times. Thats my opinion, im sure others will disagree.

George

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:36 pm

Hello PF,

6 mos is pretty young and while you can't do irrepairable damage the question will be whether you can overcome the imprinting you are doing now with your time and skill set. One school will say that when you have a dog pointing confidently and consistently pull it off birds. At 6 mos old I would be inclined to enjoy it. I would never however shoot a bird even at this age with a dog that was not steady to the flush. At some point no later than say 12 mos terminate the whole chase concept and DO NOT return to shooting until pup is broke. WSF is not common it takes time and discipline. There are pros here that may chime in differently and I wouldn't ignore their experience.

BTW where are you shooting wild Chukar this early?

Ridge-Point

Post by Ridge-Point » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:03 pm

Idaho's season usually starts mid september, I believe next year they are bumping that up to the first weekend in October.

If it was me I would just make sure the pup can handle the physical demands of the hunt and try to get her back to the truck before she is tuckered out. I shoot at every covey they hold point for and pass on anything they put into the air. Pretty simple and it has worked well for me.

perro flaco

Post by perro flaco » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:45 am

Thank you for the input. Colorado opened Sept 1, which is ridiculously early but we managed a short cool morning outing. The vast majority of what I'm doing is short outings without the gun - very concious of physical limitations of the pup though its amazing at how quickly they get their legs under them. Any pointers on the steady to flush at this stage? I understand lots of different approaches. Thanks again.

quailrunner

Post by quailrunner » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:17 pm

I think except for the killing of the birds that you are doing good getting her on all the birds you can. I would not shoot the birds yet, because if she goes to retrieve a crippled bird, carrying a bird with it's wings flapping in her face, beating on her nose could turn her off to retrieving, and even to hunting for dead birds.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:48 pm

I am taking my GSP 5 months old to camp with the old dogs this next week Ruff hunting. IMHO Take advantage of the wild birds while you can. Imprinting and learning on wild birds, No substitute. I do not have a problem shooting birds for a pup. but, Now that you have shot a few birds for her,(she knows what they are, I would not shoot until the pup is holding at least till the flush. If she is busting birds or even bumping birds I would not shoot. If she holds till the flush, go ahead and shoot. Don't make a big deal about the retrieve at this point. Right now the pup can do no wrong. If it busts birds it hopefully will learn not to. i.e. start holding point longer on its own with out any word from you. This is a fun time and you need to be patient , praise her up with every bird and enjoy.
Have fun.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:10 pm

its never too early to start training a gun dog. i get many young dogs at that age in for training and the best thing for them is a ton of birds and to start bringing out that pointing instinct. dont over work the dog to where it is physically worn out, short and sweet sessions and hunts but start them early. 8)