Dog food and ear infections

MTO4Life

Dog food and ear infections

Post by MTO4Life » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:59 pm

Quick question to see if anyone has information on this. Can a dog be prone to ear infections from the food they eat? My bitch seems to get one no matter how diligent I am with keeping her ears clean. I feed her Purina Pro Plan-Performance. My other dog is fine, with no issues. When I send her to the trainer, they feed a different food, and I've never seen her have an issue with ear problems. Once home, she seems to get one within a month or two. I just clued into the food thing and thought i'd ask if anyone has experienced this, or am I going crazy!!

tn red

Re: Dog food and ear infections

Post by tn red » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:16 pm

Ive got a gsp that has a grain allergy ,even after surgery he kept ear infections.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:25 pm

an allergy canpre-dispose to ear infectons. doesnt have to be the food, though, could be anything. does she swim alot at your place??

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:33 pm

She rarely swims. She will in the summer, but she has never got an infection from this as I monitor it and keep it clean and dry after the swim. It can be spring or fall, and once she is home, it is almost guaranteed to start about a month later. I may try her on a different food to see if it could be it. Otherwise, it's back to square one to determine the cause.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:09 pm

MTO4Life wrote:Quick question to see if anyone has information on this. Can a dog be prone to ear infections from the food they eat? My bitch seems to get one no matter how diligent I am with keeping her ears clean. I feed her Purina Pro Plan-Performance. My other dog is fine, with no issues. When I send her to the trainer, they feed a different food, and I've never seen her have an issue with ear problems. Once home, she seems to get one within a month or two. I just clued into the food thing and thought i'd ask if anyone has experienced this, or am I going crazy!!
No I don't think you are crazy.

Put her on a higher protein diet where most of the protein is not grain or grain-by product. The stores are filled with them and being in Canada you have access to some of the better ones. My mom's Cavaliers suffered for years before she listened and put them on Canidae ALS grain-free. Ears cleared up and they lost weight as well.

I would also put that dog on probiotics every day and see if that helps.

No guarantees but it could help you. You are spending a lot already for food so going to a better grade is pretty much a wash and has no downside.

You still have to clean them up so search on here for the gentian violet ear wash.

What was she eating at the trainer?

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:02 pm

Ummm.....I would think that it could VERY well be food related since she hasn't any ear issues when she is with her trainer :roll:
FYI...the dog goes from PP to Enhance Professional Athlete when she is with the trainer which is a 31/22.....compare ingredient lists Travis and maybe you will find the ingredient(s) combo that is kicking things off when she gets home?

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:41 am

Kiki's Mom wrote:Ummm.....I would think that it could VERY well be food related since she hasn't any ear issues when she is with her trainer :roll:
FYI...the dog goes from PP to Enhance Professional Athlete when she is with the trainer which is a 31/22.....compare ingredient lists Travis and maybe you will find the ingredient(s) combo that is kicking things off when she gets home?
I know it isn't an issue with the trainer (or his wife!! :wink: ) as she does fine down there. Since you feed a different food, that is why I thought it could be the food that is doing it. I'll look at the ingredients you feed and what I do and go from there. Gunner has no problems, but he likes to be a bit different than all other dogs!!! :D

Thanks for all the input from everyone.