Need some info finding a breeder.......

jimbo&rooster

Need some info finding a breeder.......

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:03 am

Alright guys I know that this has been beat to death, but we are getting ready to move down to my wife's family farm here this spring. Now that I will finally be back down in an area where ill have plenty of ground to train and keep a couple more hounds, im going to be looking to pick another pup in late spring.

Now for the specifics. I will be looking for a female shorthair out of FT lines, im looking for a pup from lines that will produce a medium to long range dog, im really looking to get into some dog games, but first and foremost im looking for a hunting dog, and a dog needs to cover some ground to find birds in our area.

Now for the Kicker..... my wife wants a black and white pup, so that will become a deciding facactor :roll: . Im just starting this search so if you guys could provide some direction that would be awsome.

thanks Guys
JIm
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

grousetales

Re: Need some info finding a breeder.......

Post by grousetales » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:26 am

Send me a email know where you can get a good Black and White shorthair.

GT

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:13 am

Check out Southwind on here, he has some goodlooking BW's and could point you in the right direction if he doesn't have anything coming up.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:19 am

Snips aka Walnut hill Kennels has a very nice proven breeding program
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:39 am

I am a huge fan of Rick and Brenda. The OP, however, wants black. Rick and Brenda do not have it. Though, some of fritz's pups' liver is so dark that it appears black at first glacne. People often asked if my Gunner was a black. From the current litter, this little feller comes to mind

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:33 am

gpblitz wrote:Another source for B&W is Clyde Vetter, Sharp Shooters Kennels. Medium range , good looking dogs.
B&W's, that would be the place I'd look.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:14 pm

Thanks Guys ill start looking at these places, like I said itll be Aprilsh befor i am ready to pull the trigger on anything, so i dont really want to start bugging people now about somthing that is still 6mos out. I just wana do my homework and have my ducks in a row before I make a decision and just buy a pup on a whim......
thanks
Jim

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:20 pm

better talk to some now as many of your better breeders will have a waiting list
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:33 pm

Also, I guess i failed to mention this in my original post but I have hunted with some dogs that came from NAVHDA lines and Im not sure that I have any desire to own a dog bred for that particular venue..... not trying to ruffle any feathers, the 3-4 dogs Ive, hunted over just didnt blow my skirt up. It may have been the particular line, or the training but i want a little more independant dog..... i guess in a perfect world id just dock the tail off an EP :D , but Im hoping to find a GSP to fit what im looking for..... Im a sucker for these goofballs.
Jim

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:39 pm

JMO But I think your going to be hard pressed to find what your looking for in FT lines. Not saying there isn't any but I am not aware of any FT people breeding black and white.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:46 pm

There is some black and white, patched and ticked, in NSTRA here, but most of the trial lines of GSPs are running to white with liver. There are some great roan trial dogs, but the base color is liver, not black.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:58 pm

If it was up to me they could be green, but my wife saw a buddies black and whit dog and said that what our next one would be. i just want the best bred dog I can get my hands on. My first and formost concern is to get a hunting dog that will cover some ground, i would like a dog that will get out and hunt to about 100-200yds +- when hunting the fields and mine ground that we hunt around here. if I can get a dog that will do that and be a fairly independent dog then id be satisfied.
Jim

Ridge-Point

Post by Ridge-Point » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:33 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:If it was up to me they could be green, but my wife saw a buddies black and whit dog and said that what our next one would be. i just want the best bred dog I can get my hands on. My first and formost concern is to get a hunting dog that will cover some ground, i would like a dog that will get out and hunt to about 100-200yds +- when hunting the fields and mine ground that we hunt around here. if I can get a dog that will do that and be a fairly independent dog then id be satisfied.
Jim
Where are you located?

You don't have to go to Field Trial stock to get 100-200 yards out of a dog. There are alot of options if that is the kind of dog you want.

I know Brian Derrick is thinking about breeding his Ruger female in the Spring, but she runs alot bigger than 100-200 yards.

I have litter right now that is a 100-200 yard litter, but the two pups I have available are in limbo and might already be sold.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:29 pm

Dirtysteve wrote:JMO But I think your going to be hard pressed to find what your looking for in FT lines. Not saying there isn't any but I am not aware of any FT people breeding black and white.
We are. FC/AFC Levy's City Slicken Clown. An awsome all age and foot dog. Bred him to a Rusty top side and a Clown bottom.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:22 pm

Guys I appreciate the info. I guess, what i have in mind isnt necessariy an FT dog but id like to have a dog with wheels, my Current GSP hunts to about 100yds max and more like 50sh which is fine but i would like to have one stretch that out a little. for where I geneally hunt 100-200 yds is a fairly big running dog. i realize that in alot of places that is not the case. I also understand that there are some NAVHDA breedings that would probably fit what im looking for so I am willing to look into some of those breedings too. Right now im just beginning to look for a pup so im pretty wound up about that next hunting prospect. I grew up hunting with my dads setters and his buddies pointers and i liked the way they hunted I just am a big fan of the GSPs. I wont be able to make a purchase till Spring so ive got plenty of time to find what im looking for.
Jim

raven34

Post by raven34 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:46 pm

Sending you a PM

up-hunter

Post by up-hunter » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm

I know you really like the shorthairs but black and white pointers are pretty easy to find with that kind of range. But i would also think that with as many shorthair breeders as there is you should be able to find a good one.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:40 am

Yeah, if I wanted a black and white EP that would be a no brainer, but Thats not what im after right now. I will be going that route eventually, But right now im looking for another GSP. thanks to those of you who have PMd me about variouse options. At this point I am looking at two planned litters, but am more than willing to look at more.
Jim

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:52 am

There are at least a couple that are thought to be good breeders on this site. Brenda has been here a long time and I believe Keith Gulleridge (sp), is still here. There may be other's. Wagon Master breeds a litter now and then I think, or use's his dog's at stud.

I forgot Charly Rose. I konw a guy here thay has a coulps of his dogs and he tells me their the best he's ever seen. He's finished one nat ch and has been a judge at Boonville, he has an idea about dogs. Charly is the first one I'd talk to.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!