Should I do it?

uintafly

Should I do it?

Post by uintafly » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:10 pm

I am trying to decide whether or not I should attempt to get into bird dogging. I will be bringing home a puppy (Wirehaired Pointing Griffon) in about another month. what I was originally looking for in a dog was a low shedding, good family pet that can also be my hiking and backpacking companion. I spend a lot of time outside year round so I needed a dog that could handle cold temps and had a lot of energy, but that could still be a well behaved house dog. I settled on a Griff because it met my requirements and I was lucky enough to find a good breeder nearby with some good dogs. When I chose the breed, hunting wasn't really a thought though the sire seems to have a pretty good hunting pedigree.

As I was doing my research I ran across this forum and have been reading through it the past few weeks, and I have to say I am intrigued about possibly getting involved. Here are my main worries:
1)I am not really a hunter, more like just a guy who has hunted a few times. How difficult would it be for me to train a dog while I am learning myself? I have good experience training basic obedience and house manners to dogs but I assume this would be quite a bit different.
2)Time. Even if I got into hunting, it wouldn't be my primary hobby. I assume I would get out maybe a dozen times a year, and could probably spend a few hours a week doing hunting specific training. Is this enough?
3)Access to birds. I live pretty close to quite a few fields but I don't know how many wild birds they hold and I am pretty sure my wife wouldn't be thrilled about a pigeon coup in the back yard. I also live about 5 minutes away from a large waterfowl management area so I do have decent access to waterfowl.

So what do you guys think, should I give it a try?

FYI: I am a little more interested in upland game than I am in waterfowl.

Don
GDF Junkie

Re: Should I do it?

Post by Don » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:21 pm

Why in the world would you ask us? Surely you have an idea of what the answer will be. So what do you think? Would you like to try it? Guy's that like it are on boards like this and think it's a hoot (addiction). We drive 4 wh drive's, attract beautiful women and get invited to Republican fund raiser's. We wear spiffy clothes, boot's and are concidered manly. Guy's that don't Watch Mr Roger's and drive station wagons! Ya gotta gun? :D
Last edited by Don on Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:21 pm

heck yeah! :D

Send your dog to a trainer for a month or two, and then follow his instructions beyond that.

If you think you are only going to get out 12 times, think again. It is addicting, and there is no going back. :lol:
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:32 pm

You better. Griffs, at least the few I know, like to be kept busy. If yours is out of hunting stock the dog is going to want it. Do you have a fenced yard?

They don't shed but get used to wet floors, LOL. We did!

Also a note on the cold temperatures, like Spinone, they don't fully coat out for a couple years.

uintafly

Post by uintafly » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:36 pm

Don wrote:Why in the world would you ask us? Surely you have an idea of what the answer will be. So what do you think? Would you like to try it? Guy's that like it are on boards like this and think it's a hoot (addiction). We drive 4 wh drive's, attract beautiful women and get invited to Republican fund raiser's. We wear spiffy clothes, boot's and are concidered manly. Guy's that don't Watch Mr Roger's and drive station wagons! Ya gotta gun? :D
Yeah I guess I should have figured what answers I would get here. :lol:

Luckily for me I already have the 4WD, beautiful woman (singular), and even the gun! And I guess I can overlook the Republican part :wink:

I have always figured it would be something I like, I just wonder if my time constraints would allow me to get the dog trained well.

uintafly

Post by uintafly » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:40 pm

mcbosco wrote:You better. Griffs, at least the few I know, like to be kept busy. If yours is out of hunting stock the dog is going to want it. Do you have a fenced yard?

They don't shed but get used to wet floors, LOL. We did!

Also a note on the cold temperatures, like Spinone, they don't fully coat out for a couple years.
I do have a fenced yard, and after his/her first few months, that is where they will spend the day while the family is at school/work.

As for the wet floors, luckily we have a lot of hardwood floors (and patience)

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:02 pm

Patience is good when you have a dog with a beard. We also keep paper towels in various places throughout the house.

Good luck with the pup!!!

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:42 pm

Whatever you do, you will NEVER have enough outlets for your dog's abilities, and you'll never see the bottom of them. These dogs can do so much it's insane.

Yes hunt. Yes train. Yes do all the other stuff you want to do. If you think about it, it gives the human some pretty good ways to spend time as well!!

Congrats on your dogl-to-be!

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:23 pm

No.

Go with a started dog for hunting.

Let him teach you...or indicate directions and questions.

Then, if the time to devote to a hunting pup actually exists and the interest in hunting/dogs is indeed flourishing, consider a pup.

A hiking buddy is something different, IMHO and far less demanding in training and maintainence of training.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:13 am

I got a rescue golden a few years back and after i taught him to rollover and high 5 and whatever I thought theres got to be something else, so I started training him as a retriever. It didn't really work out, as he lacks a lot of desire so I got a versatile. My rational was, I have to go walk them everyday anyways, and I hate leashes so I walk in the woods, maybe I should bring a gun. I was never a hunter before I got my dogs either, didn't see a point in it, didn't think it was fun. Although hunting with dogs and training dogs is awesome. If you do a lot of hiking where there are a lot of game birds then you are all set. You will be able to accomplish a good 80 to 90% of your upland training just by doing that with a well bred pup.

Wasen't really clear, I got the versatile after the golden sparked the passion for hunting with dogs.

P.S. I still hunt the golden, he just isn't very good at it, he has fun though.

solon

Post by solon » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:37 am

There is a NAVHDA chapter that seems to be in Provo. Get in contact with them. There are probably members near you. They will help you with your pup and be a valuable training resource. You can get involved with training for tests or not, as you wish. I think having one or two experienced mentors is the best route for you to get the best results with your pup. Early experiences of the pup are important in its development as a hunting dog, so get connected with good help.

Solon

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:16 am

Don wrote:Why in the world would you ask us? Surely you have an idea of what the answer will be. So what do you think? Would you like to try it? Guy's that like it are on boards like this and think it's a hoot (addiction). We drive 4 wh drive's, attract beautiful women and get invited to Republican fund raiser's. We wear spiffy clothes, boot's and are concidered manly. Guy's that don't Watch Mr Roger's and drive station wagons! Ya gotta gun? :D
GREAT POST and of course I agree 100% :D

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:34 am

I have cross-posted Don's astute observations with full credit to him and to this board on another excellent upland hunting, gun and dog board (with separate "politics"and "joke" sections), http://www.notssmbbs.com/viewforum.php . It is posted in the "hunting" section. You are welcome, of course, to visit if inclined.

I have rarely read such a factual and unbiased post. It is a known fact that (male) birdhunters have much higher testosterone levels than the rather effete non-birdhunters, with all the attendant positives which that implies.

Fine post, Don!

uintafly

Post by uintafly » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:15 am

Alright you talked me into it! But I hope you know that means you can expect a bunch of questions to the forum. :)

My breeder has mentioned that he wouldn't mind giving me help along the way, including trips out into the field with him. From what I have read on here most people respect the Huntsmith puppy DVD's and that will probably be the way I go. I will keep you guys posted on how things go.

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:07 pm

Lots of good traineres aboard here. Enjoy.