Pheasants in the rain?

Gonehunting

Pheasants in the rain?

Post by Gonehunting » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:06 pm

Hello,
I am very new to pheasant hunting. This is my first year i have shot one and i cant wait to get back out. My family and i have had plans to go out tomorrow but it is suposed to rain all day. It will be in the 50's so it wont be to cold to be outside and i dont mind hunting in the rain and i know my dog dont mind the water but will it be a waste if time? Ive read that the birds will hold longer but if its a light rain it shouldnt be to bad. Is this true?
Thanks for any info.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Re: Pheasants in the rain?

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:14 pm

The birds may hold longer yes, but that is driven quite a bit by the wind. If it is windy they won't hold, rain or no. Light rain won't have much impact on anything. Heavy downpour and they will be looking for cover, may even go into log and rock piles.

buckshot0074

Post by buckshot0074 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:25 pm

Looking for some info on this too ....

When I was a kid, my grandpa always said 'The dog can't pick up the scent of the pheasants very well in the rain"

Is there any truth to that ? or was my Grandpa just being a "fair-weather" hunter ?

windswept

Post by windswept » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:22 pm

Rain makes for excellent pheasant hunting. I promise. Wet ground is definately very good for a dogs ability to smell and track.
It's funny that Wagonmaster said that in the wind the birds jump more. My experience is that wind is an advantage if you work against it. The birds don't hear you nearly as well as they do on a calm day.
If I were you I would be very excited for the hunt. Good luck and let us know how it goes.