Deciding between training or another dog

KHill

Deciding between training or another dog

Post by KHill » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:59 am

Hunting and training my dog has been limited financially. I have some money to invest in the situation and am trying to figure the best way to go. I’ve considered a started dog, sending my dog to a trainer or getting a launcher/ecollar.

About my dog: He is a 5 yr old Weimaraner. My main complaint is he bumps birds and when he does point he sometimes is not steady enough for us to get there. I used to think range was an issue but I realized if he would hold point, his range is not that problematic.
He swims and is a great retriever. His training so far has been yard work and hunting.
At 1 yr, he got a prize II 89 in the NA test.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Deciding between training or another dog

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:35 pm

Make a check cord from stiff rope and a sturdy brass snap. Make a pigeon coop from scrap wood. Catch a few feral pigeons from overpasses. You'll have to replace them till they raise there. Get a friend to help you, or get creative looping the check cord around a tree.

That Weim is pretty big. You might put a second collar around his flank to help your back when you set him back. If you need more "authority" when you stop him with the check cord, try using a prong collar.

Greg J

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:36 pm

KHill,
I work with Weimar dogs all the time, one of my best friends is a Weimar breeder in Lancaster, Pa. If you need help with your dog training I will help you.
I have a Grouse dog training business in Potter County, Pa, how far away are you from Pa. I have a Weimar pup of my own, your dog is young and will need to mature
before he understands what is going on, many good Weimar dogs are very slow to mature.

RGD/Dave

Pine Creek Gretchen, still a pup at a year old

KHill

Post by KHill » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:08 pm

Ryman,
Thanks for the offer but I'm about 12 hours from you as far as I can tell. Funny thing is I got my dog out of PA.

Mr Jennings...I was leaning toward the launcher in hopes that he would catch on and use instinct rather than trying to force him into a point. I have no problem intervening to get him to hold..but I want him to point on his own.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:56 am

KHill,
If you have a trainer who works with Weimar dogs out your way you might want to look that person up and acquire some help. Lots of Weimar dogs today have
less point in them than tracking and retrieving ability, where in Pa did you get your pup, from which breeder. Was it from Wilson here in Western Pa.
RGD/Dave

Meller

Post by Meller » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:02 pm

What state do you live in ? :)

KHill

Post by KHill » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:06 pm

Meller wrote:What state do you live in ? :)
Guess that was worth noting. I'm in N. Illinois...Rockford.