Sprained front wrist

TXLabMan

Sprained front wrist

Post by TXLabMan » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:10 am

Treatments for dog with sprained front wrist? He can put weight on it but walks with a limp for past couple days, if he sees a squirrel he is off like it doesnt bother him however. He does this about once or twice a year, i think it is an old injury that he tweeks every now and then. Some times i will notice him limping and then an hour later he will be fine like he worked it out. No broken bones, no swelling, seems to be just a sprain that he aggrivates from time to time. In his younger days i would let the pain be his limiter and just not run him on purpose but let him do what he wanted in the yard and let him heal naturally, now that he is creeping up in age (getting close to 11) I dont want to risk a more permanant injury. So, anything to do besides try to keep him still for a few days? How long do i keep him in the house without much activity? I am not a big beleiver in pain meds unless recovering from a surgery. How long after he appears to heal up to i need to keep him contained, 2 days, a week etc? Thanks fellas, I would think a sprained wrist is pretty common with your big running bird dogs.

jlp8cornell

Re: Sprained front wrist

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:21 am

Here are a couple sites that discuss treatment options for carpal strains/hyperextension. It seems that most favor doing surgery but there is info about treating conservatively in these articles. Also, one shows a wrap that can be used to help stabilize the joint.

http://www.michvet.com/library/surgery_ ... injury.asp
http://www.vetsportsmedicine.com/surger ... juries.pdf

Hope this helps. Jen

PS- For some reason the 2nd link is not working. Try this one or google carpal strains and click on the vet sports med link:
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cac ... hj8GIypxow

TXLabMan

Post by TXLabMan » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:23 am

thanks for the info but i am looking for real world experiences, this is not something warranting surgery, no wimpering, no whining, not licking it or pulling at it. Just an old dog with a sprained wrist, anyone have an experience with this, and if so how long for the dog to lay off of it? My concern is that if and when it heals up in a day or two, he will re-sprain it. In his younger days, i ignored it and he was fine a few days later, back to normal activities, now that he is old, do i keep him off of it for x amount of time? Thanks again

steingre

Post by steingre » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:55 pm

My shorthair sprained his "wrist" while sharptail hunting in North Dakota in late September. I'm not a vet, but the sprain diagnosis is what I thought; I cut the trip a couple of days short, and headed home to my local vet. The vet said there were anti-inflammatory drugs we could try, perhaps a warm soak or two-----or, just monitor it, and hope it gets better on its own. I took him home, let him rest a couple of weeks, and he was ready for the Iowa opening of quail/pheasant season on Oct 24th. No problems noted now-- he's been out a lot in the last month, and several of the hunts were pretty strenuous.

Hope this helps!

TXLabMan

Post by TXLabMan » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:08 am

Thanks all, he hasnt been limping since Tuesday afternoon, so it looks like he is good to go again. I think he just tweaks an old injury from time to time, might be arthritis setting in. Either way, he seems to be good to go now, will take it easy and let him walk/trot around in a field this weekend.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:44 pm

Have you had him tested for lyme disease?

Front wrist pain is a symptom....2 of my dogs have shown ankle/wrist pain and tenderness and it was Lyme.

Latest is my white pointer appeared to have tweaked his back...wouldn't run at all which is a big deal for him.
Had him x rayed (all good), vet manipulated all his joints and back (he took it stoically ), He had gone off feed before and been treated for lyme and showed ankle/wrist pain. Vet thought it may be a muscle issue but also noted lyme could be the cause. Started hiim on a month of 2 doxy's a day and he is right as rain.

Just a thought.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Carl Porter

Post by Carl Porter » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:19 am

Try carring some Meti-Cam or Rymadyl. (Not sure on the spellings) They are both effective anti inflamitory meds. I prefer MetiCam because its liquid and it has a weight chart on the syringe for dispensing. I have had dogs come back limping and in an hour standing on it. These are only bandaids for something that might be more serious. But having them will ease the pain until the swelling or pain goes away.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours faithful and true to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Anonymous
www.huntingdogtrainer.net

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:36 pm

Try carring some Meti-Cam
Metacam is Meloxicam (generic). Metacam is the dog drug that costs a mint, Meloxicam is for humans. Ask you vet to write a script for the human meloxicam. You can get it through Walmart, Target, etc for $3/30 pills. Metacam is $80-100/bottle.

I have a ton of this in my supplies. It is a wonderful anti-inflammatory. If your vet will do this and most will, ask for the 7.5mg tabs- this should work for your Lab. Splitting the 15mg tabs is a pain.

I was going to recommend this for your dog when he was having off days. Cheap, works great and your dog will be happier.

TXLabMan

Post by TXLabMan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:15 am

Thank you all, he has been tested for Lyme a few months back during a general work up, snap test i think they called it. Negative. Anyway, he is fine now, ran him a little this weekend and he has been good since last Tuesday. I think just an old dog that had a hard hunting life, old sprain that acts up from time to time i guess. I appreciate the feedback and help on this board, great place for general questions about health, thanks again.