Benelli Ultra Light, Montefeltro, or Browning Silver Hunter

gspkimber

Benelli Ultra Light, Montefeltro, or Browning Silver Hunter

Post by gspkimber » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:10 pm

Let me know what you all think about these shotguns. I narrowed down the shotgun I want between the Benelli Ultra Light, Benelli Montefeltro, and the Browning Silver Hunter. I'll take whatever you can give...

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: Benelli Ultra Light, Montefeltro, or Browning Silver Hunter

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:08 am

In a 12?..... BUL with the 24" barrel.
No comparison to the others.
With this scattergun you can't look at specs, it must be shot to understand.

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:08 am

In a 20 I'd go for the Monte.

Ryan_in_AZ

Post by Ryan_in_AZ » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:59 am

I have a Monte in 20. If you get one be aware they checker the forend by machine and if they set the cut too deep the checkering is very aggressive. Mine is too sharp, and the tips of the "pyramids" in the checkering break off but another guy I know has one that's just fine. The gun is very light and will kick with authority. I don't shoot it much since buying an O/U.
Last edited by Ryan_in_AZ on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:46 am

Ryan_in_AZ wrote:I have a Monte in 20. If you get one be aware they checker the forend by machine and if they set the cut too deep the checkering is very aggressive. Mine is too sharp, and the tips of the "pyramids" in the checkering break off but another guy I know has one that's just fine. The gun is very light a will kick with authority. I don't shoot it much since buying an O/U.
\

That 12 ga UL will make your nose run if you shoot anything more than field loads. I've got two Monte's, a 12 and a 20. They both shoot nice and you could even say "soft" with 1 and 1 1/8 oz loads. Shoot a 3" mag in them and they can be brutal.

Will

Post by Will » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:59 pm

Have both 12 and 20 BUL in 26" barrels. A joy to carry in the field, but they're so light they pack a good recoil wallop. Not much fun for plinking and shooting clays, but really a concern for me when wild bird hunting. I also have a 12ga Silver Hunter....quite a bit more substantial in the hands but felt recoil is very light.

Both models have been extremely reliable for me.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

hear duck

Post by hear duck » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:30 pm

I just bought a BUL 12 ga with the 24" barrel. I do not feel it packs a punch. I shot a round of sporting clays with no issues. Plicked pheasants with 3 1/4 dram 1.25 oz of 5's with no issue. I was a little worried about all the post saying how hard the recoil is but went arhead and purchased it because of how well it fit me. It is the best fitting, fastest pointing and smoothest gun I own.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:48 pm

tdhusker wrote:...That 12 ga UL will make your nose run if you shoot anything more than field loads.....
Not hardly...I shoot 1 1/2s as a matter of course late season with no problems.

A 3" turkey load will kick but one shot is hardly an issue.

Not sure who would shoot heavier hunting loads in a BUL, or any scattergun, for clays????but everyone handles or perceives recoil differently.

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:04 am

Mountaineer wrote:
tdhusker wrote:...That 12 ga UL will make your nose run if you shoot anything more than field loads.....
Not hardly...I shoot 1 1/2s as a matter of course late season with no problems.

A 3" turkey load will kick but one shot is hardly an issue.

Not sure who would shoot heavier hunting loads in a BUL, or any scattergun, for clays????but everyone handles or perceives recoil differently.

I've shot some 3" steel loads in mine. Pretty nasty.

gspkimber

Post by gspkimber » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:40 pm

Have any of you taken any turkeys with a 20 gauge Ultralight? I just held one and really liked what I felt. The shop did not have a 12 gauge but I really like the 20. With the right shot and load, it should be able to pattern nice at forty yards, right?

Will

Post by Will » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:35 am

Never used either on turkey, but sure...with the right load and choke combination that 20ga should be fine at 40 yards. You might want to see how many 20ga turkey chokes are available for the BUL before you jump in and buy it...just a thought that might save you some headaches.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:43 pm

I have a browning silver in 12 ga and love it. It has a reciever similar to the old A5 (which is what I learned to shoot with) only not as dramatic. I have had it 4 years, it has went to South Dakota the last 3 with me. It fits me good, shoots great. If I had it to do over I would have boughten one in camo and it would have been my all around gun.

The Ace

Post by The Ace » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:24 pm

I have never felt any problem with the recoil from my Ultralight 12ga. But I must say recoil rarely bothers me.
My only regrets about the UL is the limitation of just three shells. There have been many times on Roosters and Ruffies that I would have liked the extra two.
But it carries like a Red Ryder BB gun as far as weight. When people pick it up and it is in a sheath that is what they think it is.
I'm never the one complaining after a long, long day of luggin em through the popple or through the stubble.

rolawson

Post by rolawson » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:09 pm

I have a Benelli M1 Super 90 20 gauge. It is the same gun as the M2. It will be the last gun I part with. I use it to hunt grouse, quail, and woodcock. I have used it for the last 8 years to turkey hunt with. I have never failed to fill my turkey tags. I use the Under Taker choke tub. I use federal 3 inch nuber 5's in the turkey load. Patters well at 40 yards. The gun is very light and fast when shooting on the wing. I have shot thousands of rounds through it, and it has never malfunctioned. I just can't say enough about the gun.

Addict

Post by Addict » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:05 pm

I have a Monte 12 guage in left hand. I love it and take it out in all kinds of weather. It's light and recoil is light with 1 1/4 oz loads.

A gun that I would like to get is the Winchester Super X3 in 20 ga. Saw one at a youth pheasant hunt and I want one!

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:09 pm

Silver is a great gun, not sure about the benelli's

Gwendolyn

Post by Gwendolyn » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:40 am

gspkimber wrote:Have any of you taken any turkeys with a 20 gauge Ultra light? I just held one and really liked what I felt. The shop did not have a 12 gauge but I really like the 20. With the right shot and load, it should be able to pattern nice at forty yards, right?
Yes. I've took a turkey with a 20 gauge Ultra light last year. I can show you the proof.

Redfishrick

Post by Redfishrick » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:21 pm

I am picking up my 20 Monte on Monday, plan to shoot some clays next week. I really like the way the gun fit me.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:17 pm

I prefer the feel of the Montefeltro to the other two, but I shoot a SBE II so take that for what it's worth.

magspa

Post by magspa » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:26 am

I like the feel of the montefeltro but got a M2 12ga 26" becasue i like the matte finish and satin wood for turkey hunting. It is my only shotgun for now - quail, turkey, waterfowl . 20ga works fine for turkey, shot a turkey with a H&R single shot 20ga when i was about 14y/o squirrel hunting (season overlapped with turkey in PA) with #6..only takes a couple pellets in the head/neck.

USMC

Post by USMC » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:13 am

Another difference to take into consideration,

BUL has a rising rib.

The Monte has a flat rib.

I own a SBE and that's the only thing that bothers me about it. Believe it's most likely because of the I prefer shooting O/U... It's one of those things that shooters feel more comfortable not a right or wrong! In any event the MONTE is more attractive to me because of the rib and extra shells.

Have a great season!

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:31 am

I own a Benelli LH M2 12 ga. Very nice, reliable gun. The gun allows me to shoot whatever I want without too much recourse on my shoulder. The synthetic stock and Matt finish are easy keepers. I don't have to worry about the gun getting scratched or blemished nearly as much as a I would with a wood stock gun IMO. The adjustable stock allows for some adjustment. I am not sure if the Browning offer that.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:32 pm

I have the Monte in a 20------ never have noticed a kick - great gun . Haven't dropped in Chukar hunting- yet- I am sure it will come.

Vman

Post by Vman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:36 pm

A friend of mine has a BUL in 12 ga. for sale. Mint condition. You could save yourself hundreds of dollars. Located in Baraboo Wi. PM me if interested.

Stilly Bay

Post by Stilly Bay » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:23 pm

BUL hands down.

for the record: its not the gun that kicks, its the ammunition, and they make a wide variety of ammo.