Need training help

kencraft206

Need training help

Post by kencraft206 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:41 pm

I have a four year old SH weim that is very good when we are in the field. I want to keep training with her, but due to where i live i am unable to trap or get bird easily. Has anyone come up with other options for training without birds?? If so can you elaborate on your methods, or any webpage links that you might have.

Thanks,

Keith

Don
GDF Junkie

Re: Need training help

Post by Don » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:20 pm

You cannot train a bird dog without birds. Where do you live? Pigeon's are about everywhere and free for the catching. What is an SH Weim?
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:47 pm

Don wrote:You cannot train a bird dog without birds. Where do you live? Pigeon's are about everywhere and free for the catching. What is an SH Weim?

SH = Short hair I would guess

kencraft206

Post by kencraft206 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:17 am

Senior Hunter

She is already trained, i just want to continue to do some work with her. I realize birds would be the best choice, but i dont have a trap or any place to keep them. just want to see if anyone has some other up-keep ideas.

K9luke

Post by K9luke » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:40 pm

Take the dog out where it can hunt and point wild birds. Lots of praise when it does a good job. Work on retieving exercises with bumpers. If possible find a source to buy 3 birds at a time whether they are pigeon, quail or pheasants and go place them for the dog and do the best you can.