Doc's Choice Dog Food?

Onk

Doc's Choice Dog Food?

Post by Onk » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:57 pm

I've been researching dog foods and have found nothing negative about this food. This food was founded by a vet. and only comes in two differant choices. None of their foods have any fillers. Has anyone had any experience with this feed and what is the cost like. Thanks http://www.docschoicepetfood.com/retailLocations.shtml
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Doc's Choice Dog Food?

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:05 pm

It is a Super store market food designed for house pets not active hunting dogs and the fat to protein is not designed truly active dogs...the week night walks versus a dog that is designed to run and hunt for hours at a time require more fat in the fat to protein ratio.
Look to your feeds stores
We are feeding Loyall performance which the bad states is a 24 /20 but the way it is processed my dogs are getting more out of it then they do Exceed or Pro Plan Performance

There are plenty of Posts on here about different feeds and opinions on them so you might want to try and do research here on this board
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:06 pm

I do not like the ingredients at all. Get something that isn't sold in a grocery store.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Never mind, after I posted this I did find several bad reviews on a forum called paw paw's, I think was the name anyway! I won't be feeding this!

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:14 pm

Onk wrote:Never mind, after I posted this I did find several bad reviews on a forum called paw paw's, I think was the name anyway! I won't be feeding this!
:)

What does the breeder feed? If you are interested in cost savings, be sure to check company websites and FaceBook fan pages. A lot of dog food companies have gone to FB for promotions because the offers go directly to opted in interested parties.

Don't rely on internet reviews for as fed results. Look at some dogs that look good and perform well and ask what they eat.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:21 pm

Thanks Casey, am leaning toward the Diamond Naturals EA. I can get it at or local feed store and at a local farm and home store here. Several people on this forum have had good luck with it and their dogs look pretty darn good to me. Just trying to do my homework.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:06 pm

It looks like a good feed to me, but I agree that I like a higher fat content for a working dog. It should sell for no more than .65 a pound, but I don't know the cost.

I feed Loyall also because it's a superior feed, well processed, and cost effective.
big steve

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:03 pm

Went to the Kansas City Outdoor and Boat Show Saturday and the people from Doc's Choice had a booth and free sample bags of food. I think I was walking around with 50 lbs of sample bags by the time we left. Anyway I was asking them about their food and I told them what I was planning on feeding, the man did not blink an eye and just said, " they make a really good food,I just think ours is a little better. If I did not feel that way I would'nt be here". Thought that was a pretty good answer,did'nt try putting down the other food company and had a passion for his work. Thought I'd pass this along for what it's worth!

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:56 pm

Just one word came to mind when I read the ingredients. YUCK!

I wouldn't feed it to my house dog.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:07 pm

Well it does look better than Beneful. Seriously, does it look any worse than Pro Plan?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:35 pm

Onk wrote:Went to the Kansas City Outdoor and Boat Show Saturday and the people from Doc's Choice had a booth and free sample bags of food. I think I was walking around with 50 lbs of sample bags by the time we left. Anyway I was asking them about their food and I told them what I was planning on feeding, the man did not blink an eye and just said, " they make a really good food,I just think ours is a little better. If I did not feel that way I would'nt be here". Thought that was a pretty good answer,did'nt try putting down the other food company and had a passion for his work. Thought I'd pass this along for what it's worth!
MikeB wrote:Just one word came to mind when I read the ingredients. YUCK! I wouldn't feed it to my house dog.
mcbosco wrote:Well it does look better than Beneful. Seriously, does it look any worse than Pro Plan?
Well there you have it! The official response is Yuck! or Beneful and ProPlan!

I think it looks like the type feeds you normally find in the grocery stores. Dogs do well on them but just not geared to the higher performance type dogs like ours. But many dogs have been fed a lot worse and have performed fine. Sounds like their representative was a good honest individual from his response. Nice to hear people like that after all of the people we run into that are constantly knocking the competitor's products and the people who make them and feed them. Feed your samples and let us know what you think even though you probably don't have enough to really run much of a test. Ezzy

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:09 pm

Well they can't be that honest because on the website they say this "Many competitors use cheap and lower nutritional grains such as corn gluten meal, brewer's distilled grains, soybean meal, etc."

But, the fourth ingredient is "distiller's dried grain"

Go figure. That is the only reason I bothered to respond.

This is a good supermarket dog food for most dogs (made by Blue Buffalo) and its not much more money:

http://www.harmonypetproducts.com/produ ... hicken.cfm

Same price as Beneful.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:28 pm

mcbosco wrote:Well they can't be that honest because on the website they say this "Many competitors use cheap and lower nutritional grains such as corn gluten meal, brewer's distilled grains, soybean meal, etc."

But, the fourth ingredient is "distiller's dried grain"

Go figure. That is the only reason I bothered to respond.

This is a good supermarket dog food for most dogs (made by Blue Buffalo) and its not much more money:

http://www.harmonypetproducts.com/produ ... hicken.cfm

Same price as Beneful.
Interestingly, many of the competitive brands include ingredients that aren’t of the highest quality. Chicken or poultry by-product meals (which can include lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain), corn, wheat or soy (which have been linked to allergies in pets) and glutens (corn or wheat, which are not as easily digestible as meat-based proteins)… these are all examples of ingredients that we choose not to use at Harmony Farms.
Can you imagine a responsible company putting out garbage like this? ANd do you know there is quite a difference between distillers dried grain and brewers dried grain? Oh well, It doesn't impress me as a new break through in dog food but don't think I will be foolish enough to think I can judge the quality of the feed from looking at a list of ingredients and having no idea how much of each they are using.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:23 am

Ooops missed something last night.

Why does Doc's Choice use only two grains?
Doc's Choice uses two grains - whole oven-roasted corn and heat-processed wheat because that is all that is needed. Many competitors use cheap and lower nutritional grains such as corn gluten meal, brewer's distilled grains, soybean meal, etc.

"Chicken by-product meal, oven roasted whole corn, distiller's dried grain, whole wheat, feeding oatmeal"

Cut and paste error last night. Two grains or more? That was the point.

Question: Is the difference between "brewer's distilled grains" and "distillers dried grain" just that one is a by-product of beer making and the other spirits?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:10 am

Sal, remember you are a by-product of someone having sex. Being a by-product does not make something bad but most times it enhances the final product. A good example is corn gluten which is alcohol by-product. Same with brewers and distillers grains and the difference is in the process and what has been removed from the original product. You can even look at it from the view point of the pork you eat. Back a hundred years the meat was the by-product of the lard industry. Now because of different needs lard has become the by-product of the meat industry.

We put tags on things for identification and not as a testimony to their worth or quality.

Whats your thing with having two grains?

Ezzy

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:51 am

Ezzy- I almost fell outta my chair laughing over the last post of yours. Interesting analogy. :lol:

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:55 am

McBosco is now "Sal The By-Product!" :D :D
big steve

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:23 am

ezzy333 wrote:Sal, remember you are a by-product of someone having sex. Being a by-product does not make something bad but most times it enhances the final product. A good example is corn gluten which is alcohol by-product. Same with brewers and distillers grains and the difference is in the process and what has been removed from the original product. You can even look at it from the view point of the pork you eat. Back a hundred years the meat was the by-product of the lard industry. Now because of different needs lard has become the by-product of the meat industry.

We put tags on things for identification and not as a testimony to their worth or quality.

Whats your thing with having two grains?

Ezzy
I have no problem with any grains, mine eats grain. I was merely pointing out that the company's makes a very specific statement that it only uses TWO grains, but there are four in the product. You are like my father I have to explain things a hundred times.

As for those by-product grains, I wont pay for them because there are better choices. I am more frugal than you.

Onk

Post by Onk » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:16 pm

Update on the Doc's Choice: I got samples of this food in the puppy and regular and did a taste test using my sons, daughters and daughters boy friends dogs by placing the food used by the dogs now and the Doc's down at the same time side by side. All three inhaled the Doc's first thing. Just thought I'd update, they say this food is 90% diegestable and you feed less and clean up less. I called the company to check and they only make the regular and the puppy, they rec. feeding the puppy to working and active dogs. Might be worth a shot!

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:52 pm

Onk wrote:Update on the Doc's Choice: I got samples of this food in the puppy and regular and did a taste test using my sons, daughters and daughters boy friends dogs by placing the food used by the dogs now and the Doc's down at the same time side by side. All three inhaled the Doc's first thing. Just thought I'd update, they say this food is 90% diegestable and you feed less and clean up less. I called the company to check and they only make the regular and the puppy, they rec. feeding the puppy to working and active dogs. Might be worth a shot!

As I said before, it looks like a decent feed, especially for maintenance only. Again, what is the cost per pound if you buy?
big steve

jayhawkj

Post by jayhawkj » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:13 pm

A 40 lb bag is $25.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:24 pm

jayhawkj wrote:A 40 lb bag is $25.

Not a bad price. I pay about that for Loyal AA before tax. I'm sure I would prefer what I feed, but most dogs would be ok with Doc's Choice for maintenance.
big steve

Onk

Post by Onk » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:40 am

Jayhawk I am ordering it dropped at my door for $25.90 for the regular and $27.70 for the puppy, that is 50 lb. bags 5 bag minium order with $10. shipping charge. 10 bag order is a $5 shipping charge. That is thru Lambert Vet Supply 800-344-6337. I'm going to give it a try, its close to the same price as what I am buying now and if it is what they say it is.....!

bellabrownn

Post by bellabrownn » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:05 am

Best dog food for all over the world is EUKANUBA,PEDIGREE these both have lots of good qualities in it.. and doc's recommended mostly one of them..

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:36 pm

Onk,
Besides everything said by those who have posted(which were great comments by the way) I will add that I would be very nervous buying 5 / 50lb bags per minimum dropped shipped for a food that I have not fed for a trial period(except the hand out samples and that is not even close to so seeing a dog fully acclimate positive of negative). 250lbs.That's alot of food! I hope it works out for your dog. Keep us posted. I have to add; anonymous ingredients that end in things saying "...grain" are to be held in high suspicion...I am not anti-grain. It's just that I want to know what type of "grain" it is!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:59 pm

northUpland wrote:Onk,
Besides everything said by those who have posted(which were great comments by the way) I will add that I would be very nervous buying 5 / 50lb bags per minimum dropped shipped for a food that I have not fed for a trial period(except the hand out samples and that is not even close to so seeing a dog fully acclimate positive of negative). 250lbs.That's alot of food! I hope it works out for your dog. Keep us posted. I have to add; anonymous ingredients that end in things saying "...grain" are to be held in high suspicion...I am not anti-grain. It's just that I want to know what type of "grain" it is!
I have to agree with this. % 50# bags is not the way to try a new food you know nothing about. I think you will be OK but there are safer ways of spending your money. That is getting close to a years supply for one dog.

Ezzy

Onk

Post by Onk » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:15 pm

I got several and I mean several sample bags of the food at a outdoor show in KC! The pup loved it and my sons dog loved it, we even did a taste test with our old food and the new ( dogs did the tasting not us) ! So it was not a blind investment of 50 lb bags by any means. I might also add that my friends one with a lab and one with a brittany are also feeding this food so the shipment is for all of us. So this will be a every two month order, not near a one year supply. Liked the other food I was using also but this is working real well with less waist and almost no oder, so far I'd say they are what they advertise to be. The Brittany club I am a part of even indorses this food.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:53 pm

Onk,
Sorry for jumping to conclusions on you about the bulk order! I also should have made my original post a little more clear. Taste testing aside, just keep in the back of your mind it can take upwards of 4-6 weeks of feeding a food for a dog to fully acclimate and to clearly see any positive or negative results...i.e. increases/decreases in performance, stamina, recovery, skin/coat, overall health, etc. I hope it all works out for you guys! This also seems to be a high Salt content food and one of the few that actual includes additional stand alone Salt in the top 10 of it's ingredients(I suspect as an inexpensive preservative and flavor enhancer) on top of it naturally found in other ingredients or way much lower down the list. Lot's of positive and negative opinions(more negs) floating around out there about high salt supplemented foods. But that's for another day! Best of luck. -Mark

tgh626

Post by tgh626 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:53 am

I have been using Doc's Choice for more than 10 years, and I love it. My shorthairs look great, their healthy, and they have plenty of stamina in the field.

I noticed after reading the threads about Doc's Choice that most of you have commented on the ingredients, but you are all missing out on the most important feature about Doc's Choice - they don't over process the ingredients. That's what sold me on Doc's Choice to begin with. If you are buying a dog food that floats in water, then you are feeding a "kibbled" dog food, which means you are feeding a dog food that exposed all of its ingredients to high temperatures. I remember talking to the Vet that developed Doc's Choice, and he asked me to imagine what your steak would be like if you threw it on the grill three times. That is what the kibbling process does. My dogs love the taste of Doc's Choice, and I'm glad I'm feeding a dog food that preserves the nutrients.

Regarding the posts about buying a "grocery store" dog food, I'm glad I can buy it at my local Hy-Vee store. It is convenient and they don't mark up the prices like the pet stores do. Be glad there is an affordable and healthy dog food.

Onk

Post by Onk » Mon May 23, 2011 7:46 pm

Well I guess an update is needed on this post....while I love the Doc's Choice food and the way my dog has done on it, I find I now have to switch dog foods because the place I spoke of earlier in this post now seems unwilling to deliver 5 to 10 bags of the food at a time. In fact they seem unwilling to call for my monthly order or feel the need to return my calls. I can't get the 50lb bags ordered in at the local Hy-Vee ( the main carrier of this food ) so the search is once again on for the new food. I think I have learned my lesson and will only be using not just a good food, but a good food that I can find in more than one local feed store. Live and learn!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:37 pm

northUpland wrote:Onk,
Sorry for jumping to conclusions on you about the bulk order! I also should have made my original post a little more clear. Taste testing aside, just keep in the back of your mind it can take upwards of 4-6 weeks of feeding a food for a dog to fully acclimate and to clearly see any positive or negative results...i.e. increases/decreases in performance, stamina, recovery, skin/coat, overall health, etc. I hope it all works out for you guys! This also seems to be a high Salt content food and one of the few that actual includes additional stand alone Salt in the top 10 of it's ingredients(I suspect as an inexpensive preservative and flavor enhancer) on top of it naturally found in other ingredients or way much lower down the list. Lot's of positive and negative opinions(more negs) floating around out there about high salt supplemented foods. But that's for another day! Best of luck. -Mark
Not sure where you get the idea the feed is high in salt but if it is because of where you see the salt listed in the list of ingredients you are basing your info on a false premis. That is not an indication of the amount of salt in the feed. You may be right but I would like to see the figures that show you are.

Thanks
Ezzy

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Mon May 23, 2011 9:20 pm

I think the Main Point we all should take away from the "Food Wars " we have on the Forum is that everyone feeds what they prefer and what is easier for them to get or easier on there wallet (that is simply a generalization not at all a Fact ) no matter how much we argue about ingredients or cost or what ever, Opinions are just opinions everyone has one, If you have honest first hand knowledge or experience with it give the info you gained from your experience and leave it at that, or leave it alone, Just because its not something you would do doesn't mean it is wrong, our farm dog growing up ate whatever amount of corn she wanted right from the crib all the scraps we had and a weekly dose of whatever meat grease we had laying around to make her coat shiny and a monthly dose Redman chew for worming she lived to be 16, would I feed my dogs like that now.... No but many dogs have gotten along fine with less again people are gonna feed whatever they like that's fine.

JMHO

Joe