Favorite GSP Bloodline

LBH

Favorite GSP Bloodline

Post by LBH » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:33 pm

What's your favorite line in the GSP breed? What are the strengths and holes of your favorite line?

I have a Sonny grand daughter that I really like. High tail, great animation, power, and a super personality. I think she is a great dog to have around, however she does have some holes. She is only 1.5 years old so her holes now might not be holes anymore when she is fully mature.

I also have seen a few Slick dogs run ( out of Cutter ) and find them to be cooperative, honest, and all bird dog. I really admire what I saw in many of the Slick dogs I have seen.

So.... lets hear about your line and what you like and dislike about it.... I'd love to hear about it.

Elkhunter

Re: Favorite GSP Bloodline

Post by Elkhunter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:41 pm

I have only been around two different lines, Slick and Sonny. I did not really like the Sonny dogs I had, chewed the crap out of stuff. Kinda renegade, but all style and power. I have a GSP that is a Slick grandson and he is a rockstar. So I will prob keep going that direction in the future!

kbshorthairs

Post by kbshorthairs » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:21 pm

The first nicely bred dog I owned was a Rusty grandson on his mother's side. He was all bird dog, but it wasn't really a linebred litter so the holes could have came from almost anywhere. I raised a few Billy litters and loved most things about them. The most recent dogs in that line that I had experience with could be pretty soft, but again Billy has been gone long enough that other contributors might have influenced that. KB's Rockin Rollin Rebel (Bubba) threw lots of nice pups no matter who he was bred to. Quiet on the chain or in the backseat and great bird dogs. He threw an AKC futurity winner, an NGSPA futurity winner, and this dog named Moon did pretty well. Career changes took me out of dogs for several years so the goals I was working towards kinda fell by the wayside.

Robbi said that Slick rode in the truck with Thompson all the time and was a great "pet". I have a five month old pup right now that I have been posting about non-stop. She has the early traits of a rockstar. She is a product of Slick lines down to Mr. Wasserman's dogs. I have no complaints so far, but she goes so fast that her ears blow back. :D Robbi says that Cutter throws that trait, but I can definitely deal with it.
It seems that there aren't tons of really tight linebred stuff. People constantly proclaim Rusty or Clown bred dogs and he will appear once in four generations. I am not a geneticist, but I seem to grasp the basics better than most people. Either that or they are trying to take advantage of inexperienced people by namedropping.
I really admire the diligent work that Mark Wasserman has put in. I have admired his work from afar, but this is the first puppy that I have owned from his "lines". That is the other thing about linebreeding. It takes TIME. Mark has taken Slick bred dogs and continued to IMPROVE the line.
Investing that kind of time and money isn't fashionable today.
(oh yeah......those Gulledge people aren't bad either) :D

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:43 pm

Linebred Rawhide's Clown. Cool personalities, tons of drive, compliant (mostly), and just fun to watch, quirks and all.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

gspdog

Post by gspdog » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:29 am

I have a sonny dog that is an outcross but definetly has the sonny style, power, ect. He's a real friendly dog but doesn't sit still around the house much yet. As far as his holes, he is hard headed and has been a little slow to mature mentally. That said he's only 22 months old and improving every time out. Very powerful and stylish dog. Also he holds up for multiple day chukar hunts without signs of slowing down, 18- 26 miles per day type hunts. Never had any pad issues.

stever58

Post by stever58 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:26 am

Maybe im not qualified to comment on " Favorite " because I haven't owned a wide enough variety of dogs. But i am very fortunate to own one of Mr. Wasseran's dogs. He is a Cutter son out of Kate. He is an absolute perfect dog in the house , the truck , the kennel. He is all Hunter when you cut him loose. He has only one thing on his mind and that is finding the next bird. He will point a bird all day . I mean all day !!! He will run the edges like he is on fire in open country. Or i can hunt him on grouse in thick stuff. We took him up to Northern Ontario grouse hunting this past fall I put him down on the ground and he nailed a double in about two minutes out of the truck. Loves to retreive. I even took him out to find some geese we knocked down in some heavy cover. Easy to handle like a sports car. Even though he is bred to the heels as a trial type dog he loves to hunt and be a really nice dog to have around. He loves attention but when he is down on the ground he is out looking for birds he will come in when i call him but he is quivering waiting for me to release him to hunt more. He is deadly serious about his job.
Bryan Long did a heck of a job training him. I get no credit on this dog. Only smart enough to buy him when the opportunity came along when he was a derby.

So I guess I think Mr.Wasserman has done a heck of a job on this line.
What would life be without a bird dog.

Really boring I guess!!

Southwind

Post by Southwind » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

A couple things I like about slick dogs is the fact that first and foremost they are birddogs. Second, is that even though they are bred to run horseback, I use mine as guide dogs as well. They are so good at adapting to the terrain they are hunting. I can have mine out making a 1-200 yard cast and then bring them in to work a draw 20 yards infront of me without me having to hack on him.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:16 pm

Saddle X Clown cross gets my vote!

Nitrex

wes_gsp

Post by wes_gsp » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:15 pm

I have a Sonny and Slick granddaughter. Holly... thats a lot of dog. This dog is amazing to watch. Very animated, athletic, and loves to point birds but is a handful in the kennel. very vocal and you will know she is around. And an escape artist :oops:
I have heard some other comments that dogs out of sonny can be this way. Are these common traits in this line? She is still young and I like her overall, just her manners are hard to deal with. I got her because her dam is a litter mate to one of my male dogs dam and I love almost every thing about him. Easy to train/handle, tons of style, can find birds and run his socks off, and has produced some amazing puppies.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:54 pm

Hmmm all this talk about the Sonny dogs being chewers,vocal,etc.I had a litter directly sired by Sonny & they are the sweetest most loving & affectionate dogs I have owned.Star my Sonny daughter will lay next to me & let me cut her nails,scale her teeth,what ever I want she just loves to be near me.Makes me think of the last trial we were at & Chris her handler was putting them up for the night his help was taking the dogs off the Stake outs to the back of the trailer then turn them loose to Chris in the middle of the trailer to put them in teir crates for the night.
My wife & I were setting at the back of our camper about 100 ft away when he turned Star loose to go to Chris she made a beline for us & jumped in my lap.No one can believe how calm & affectionate she is but cut her loose at the breakaway & watch her go.Yes they are very athletic,stylish,animated,Star can jump straight up in the air from a stand still as high as my shoulders but she is everyones favorite to love on.
I have to give some of that credit to her mother Wendy all 3 litters out of her by different sires are pretty much the same.Wendy come from 2 dogs a bought from Bob Merkel at Wrenegade Kennels & every dog in my kennel but one started with those 2 dogs so I would say that's my favorite line & anyone who knows Bob Merkel knows what line that is.I'm an just expanding on that.
The linebred Clown bitch I crossed with that just did not cross well & have alot of quirks I want no part of.They eat wood like beavers among other traits I don't care for.I'm not knocking Clown in anyway just don't work with what I have & going to stick with. :D

remmy

Post by remmy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:06 pm

I can only speak for what I have and that is Saddle bred dogs. Pure running hard hunting machines. Bell is a sweetheart who lays on the couch most of the day. You can walk up to my pro's string and she will be the only one just sitting there not barking or doing circles. My male is out of Nuke but goes back to saddle on both sides. He is the same way but not quite as laid back, but not hard headed either. But he is still young.
6xCH, 2xRU CH FC Alpenblick's Southern Bell

NGSPA CH, FC Cruzin's Probable Cause "Mac"

3xCH, NGPDA NC, FC Cruzin's Rocket Queen "Roxy"

Pineland's Streak "Sadie"

Cruzin's Moneymaker "Penny"

Cruzin Kennels on Facebook

Cruzin Kennels ~ http://www.cruzinkennels.com/

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:29 pm

Well I have Rawhide Clown, Five Jays, and Vom Flesiomberg. Love all three line alot, hard retrievers, style, drive and sweet temperments.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

Meller

Post by Meller » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:15 am

Dixieland x Grief

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:43 am

Of course we are pretty partial to the lines we breed....There is lots of Hustler, Wildburg, Lancer, Beires Evolution. These are lines we linebreed pretty heavily...Fritz has lots of Grief so thats mixed in there too...Good stuff.
brenda

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:47 am

kbshorthairs wrote:
I really admire the diligent work that Mark Wasserman has put in. I have admired his work from afar, but this is the first puppy that I have owned from his "lines". That is the other thing about linebreeding. It takes TIME. Mark has taken Slick bred dogs and continued to IMPROVE the line.
Investing that kind of time and money isn't fashionable today.
(oh yeah......those Gulledge people aren't bad either
I couldn't have said it better myself. I have 3 from Mark's lines, and had one I got from Robbi that was tightly bred on Strike the Gold/Heidi Ho. Very nice dogs. All ride in the truck when possible. All are serious bird dogs. They LOVE birds as a matter of fact! 8)
Lots of natural ability.

Doug

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:18 am

Not that anyone should pay any attention to what I've got to say. But, the more Heidi Ho Pinehurst the better.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:56 am

CHJIII wrote:Not that anyone should pay any attention to what I've got to say. But, the more Heidi Ho Pinehurst the better.
An interesting perspective. Her pedigree shows a classic linebreeding off Jig's White Smoke and if you dig further back, you will find most of her ancestors were from well established performance lines. She was truly designed for greatness. Which leads to the question of whether she was the driving force behind her HOF son, Slick (II) or was it his sire? Or a combination?

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:02 pm

Hands Down the best GSP bloodline is the Honky Tonk Attitude stuff :P . Everybody knows that :roll: .
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:07 pm

Ron R wrote:Hands Down the best GSP bloodline is the Honky Tonk Attitude stuff :P . Everybody knows that :roll: .
Fiddler's Ace.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:13 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
IS Right

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:16 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote::roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
IS Right
Really. Everyone knows HTA was a walking dog. Geez.

GUNSMOKE

Post by GUNSMOKE » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:22 pm

Von None :D

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:38 am

Now this is getting good. LOL

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:07 pm

I am secretary for the Lone Star GSP Clubs field trial beginning January 22 and just logged in two puppy entries sired by Uodibar's Koonas. I figure they are about as close to Rusty as one can find.

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:22 pm

Tejas wrote:I am secretary for the Lone Star GSP Clubs field trial beginning January 22 and just logged in two puppy entries sired by Uodibar's Koonas. I figure they are about as close to Rusty as one can find.
Ken,

Who is the dam?

Dave

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:29 pm

Dave Quindt wrote:
Tejas wrote:I am secretary for the Lone Star GSP Clubs field trial beginning January 22 and just logged in two puppy entries sired by Uodibar's Koonas. I figure they are about as close to Rusty as one can find.
Ken,

Who is the dam?

Dave
Uodibar's Pearl Booth , pups bred by John, owned by a lady you are familiar with.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:17 pm

Tejas wrote: I figure they are about as close to Rusty as one can find.
Assuming one would want to. Find one. Isn't it time to move on after twenty some years?

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:11 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Linebred Rawhide's Clown. Cool personalities, tons of drive, compliant (mostly), and just fun to watch, quirks and all.
My experience with the Clown line is of very soft dogs, couldn't tolerate even very minor correction. Good finders of birds, but didn't come out of the box hunting like the Slick and Dixieland's lines.

mrcreole

Post by mrcreole » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:31 pm

Didn't know John had straws. I bought a Koonas pup in '89 I think. My first gsp. Great dog. I bet I know who they belong to!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:17 am

Tejas wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:Linebred Rawhide's Clown. Cool personalities, tons of drive, compliant (mostly), and just fun to watch, quirks and all.
My experience with the Clown line is of very soft dogs, couldn't tolerate even very minor correction. Good finders of birds, but didn't come out of the box hunting like the Slick and Dixieland's lines.
I'll mention that to my Ricky son next time we top out the TT on him. :) I had heard that soft description forever, but both of my Clown grandsons are tough as nails to correction and border on hardheaded if they have the motivation.

My longtime dogs run heavily on Rusty lines, through several offspring, including Koonass. P J Wildfire is the other foundation for most of them and there's a hefty chunk of DK in most. I'm on my fifth generation, so I guess I'll keep 'em.

kbshorthairs

Post by kbshorthairs » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:13 am

[/quote]

Didn't know John had straws. I bought a Koonas pup in '89 I think. My first gsp. Great dog. I bet I know who they belong to![/quote]

Did someone else have the straws? I'm a bit surprised that John wouldn't have used it prior to this if he had it. Just wondering.

mrcreole

Post by mrcreole » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:08 pm

kbshorthairs wrote:

Didn't know John had straws. I bought a Koonas pup in '89 I think. My first gsp. Great dog. I bet I know who they belong to!
Did someone else have the straws? I'm a bit surprised that John wouldn't have used it prior to this if he had it. Just wondering.
Me too Karl, I would love to know the story behind these pups. I would love to have a straw of Dixieland's Luke!

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:23 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
Tejas wrote:
I'll mention that to my Ricky son next time we top out the TT on him. :) I had heard that soft description forever, but both of my Clown grandsons are tough as nails to correction and border on hardheaded if they have the motivation.

My longtime dogs run heavily on Rusty lines, through several offspring, including Koonass. P J Wildfire is the other foundation for most of them and there's a hefty chunk of DK in most. I'm on my fifth generation, so I guess I'll keep 'em.
I've got a line bred grandson of Clown and very birdy and very tough. My TT is always on six and he just twitches his head and keeps going. Love the toughness. I've also have a linebred grandson of Rusty top and bottom just pure bird dog, his sons are the same way with no quit in them. Also have a linebred granddaughter of Rusty she also is just bird dog. Also owned a son of Tell years ago. Great bird dogs. If it isn't broke you shouldn't try to fix it. :lol:

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:10 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
I'll mention that to my Ricky son next time we top out the TT on him. I had heard that soft description forever, but both of my Clown grandsons are tough as nails to correction and border on hardheaded if they have the motivation.
Your Ricky son may take the heat, but I doubt he got it from from his daddy. A nick from a TT on 1 or 2 would shut Rick down like a light bulb being turned off.

I had a grandson of Clown crossed with some Doc Haag stuff. Now he was hard headed. A 6 on a TT was just about enough. I also have a double bred Clown dog out of that male and a Clown daughter. That dog does not take corrections well at all. Runs like the wind and looks great doing it, just can't get him broke with any style. So, now he's just a hunting dog. (a great one)

Doug

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:14 pm

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:Cajun Casey wrote:
I'll mention that to my Ricky son next time we top out the TT on him. I had heard that soft description forever, but both of my Clown grandsons are tough as nails to correction and border on hardheaded if they have the motivation.
Your Ricky son may take the heat, but I doubt he got it from from his daddy. A nick from a TT on 1 or 2 would shut Rick down like a light bulb being turned off.

I had a grandson of Clown crossed with some Doc Haag stuff. Now he was hard headed. A 6 on a TT was just about enough. I also have a double bred Clown dog out of that male and a Clown daughter. That dog does not take corrections well at all. Runs like the wind and looks great doing it, just can't get him broke with any style. So, now he's just a hunting dog. (a great one)

Doug
Other than his color and his run, I'm not sure he got much at all from Ricky. He's 27" at the withers and 65 pounds. He was standing broke before he left for south Texas, but the new ground got to him and his training went down the road. He's just 20 months old, so I'm not too concerned. He just needs some exposure to generalize.

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:47 pm

TT my hiny, the Clown son I fed for thirteen years couldn't even stand being on a check cord. If someone tried to correct them he acted as if the corrector was trying to castrate him without anasthesia. He was very affectionate, but just very shy. He was a great singles dog ......seemed to hold them much better, but breaking him was simply out of the question.

kbshorthairs

Post by kbshorthairs » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:21 pm

I talked to Rabidou last night and asked him about why he had waited so long to use the straws on Koonas. In typical Rabidou form he danced around a bit and said that you need to wait a while and find just the right bitch before going back to it. When I said I thought usually a granddaughter or great granddaughter would have been the norm he just kinda changed the subject and mumbled some. :roll:
I also speculated that collecting dogs wasn't very common when Koonas was alive. He said it was definitely not common, but that everything worked out and that there were 6 healthy pups and the ones he knows about are doing really well.
I had fun giving him a hard time about several things and then asked if he had any other frozen straws of legendary dogs............he still has a few tricks up his sleeve for a 71 yr old. :D