Whats the best way to teach 'load up'

bradtown

Whats the best way to teach 'load up'

Post by bradtown » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:56 pm

Whats the easiest way to train a dog to jump up into the bed of a pickup etc.?

Kindest regards,
Brad

snips
GDF Junkie

Re: Whats the best way to teach 'load up'

Post by snips » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:15 pm

Toss a bird up there :)
brenda

gsp3333

Post by gsp3333 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:20 pm

You really don't have to teach it. Once the dog realizes there is fun once they get out they jump right in. My dogs figured it out in about 2 trips to the bird field. Just make it fun whatever it is.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:22 pm

Clicker training is fun!

Nitrex

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:25 pm

snips wrote:Toss a bird up there :)
That just made me bust out laughing Brenda :D :D :D
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

bradtown

Post by bradtown » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:27 pm

snips wrote:Toss a bird up there :)
Good idea. I've tried everything 'cept a bird. :lol:

windswept

Post by windswept » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:34 pm

Try backing the truck into a ditch to lower the distance from ground to tailgate. Start with that and the dog will be much more likely to make the jump. After they are used to that they will not give a second thought to loading up on flat ground.

bradtown

Post by bradtown » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:47 pm

windswept wrote:Try backing the truck into a ditch to lower the distance from ground to tailgate. Start with that and the dog will be much more likely to make the jump. After they are used to that they will not give a second thought to loading up on flat ground.
More great advise. Thanks.
The dogs may be so aware of not jumping up on people its effecting their willingness to jump in the truck.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:29 pm

Brenda that was good:) when u throw the bird give the comand there go problem fix

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:33 pm

gsp3333 wrote:You really don't have to teach it. Once the dog realizes there is fun once they get out they jump right in. My dogs figured it out in about 2 trips to the bird field. Just make it fun whatever it is.
That's it!! I have never taught it, it just happens. It takes some longer than others, just be patient.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:31 am

I let my dogs jump in but not out, suit yourself.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:12 am

Bradtown,
Brad I usually train the kennel command as part of my home/yard training when I put the pup in his kennel each night, using my kennel command.
After the pup has learned to kennel up, by repetition and watching the older dogs, the pup is then allowed to watch as the older dogs are commanded to
kennel up in the Expedition. Usually after just a few times the pup follows the older dogs right up into his travel kennel, inside the Expedition or pick up truck which ever is being used. I also have been known to throw a Grouse wing or even an entire training bird into the cage while giving the kennel command. As was said the bird does work most times.
RGD/Dave

BrittGSP818

Post by BrittGSP818 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:48 am

What I have done is just pick the pup up and put him in the kennel while giving him the command, they will eventually get it and love going in because they know kennel=fun.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:37 am

"Toss a bird up there " True, so true. :lol:
Dogs love treats, put the treat in the kennel, command kennel or load up what ever, help them in the first few times. Really, how many times do you unload grocery's or training stuff, dead birds etc. and find your dog trying to help you. Won't take long plus they dog learn that when they load up it leads to fun, hunting, training, birds etc.

When loading up make sure it is not slippery, I have a piece of plywood in the body before the kennel boxes, also the tail gate. Can get some pretty messed up toe and broken feet if they slide into the crack betweent he bed and tailgate.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:08 pm

Just a little caution when letting dogs jump in & out of trucks etc.This might not happen often but have seen dogs hit their knee joints jumping in & out while doing this.I have not seen any injuries myself but had a trainer chew my butt out good the only time he saw me do it.That was yrs ago & I always lift them out & in ever since.

He use to train & trial dogs for Bob Evans,but anyway he told me of a top prospect he had that injured his knee joint while jumping in or out,don't remember which.The dog never fully recovered from that injury.This might not never happen to a dog you own but if it happens just once is it worth the chance? Your choice.
Just something to think about! :)

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:45 pm

My dogs have always "loaded up" by using the kennel command before going hunting. Most times they get in the dog box as soon as they see me load up the shotguns. Honest. After the hunt I load them up by hand to prevent any injuries from a tired dog getting hurt.
A side note about the Bob Evans farm, near Rio Grande, Ohio. There was (is) a fenced in area up the road from there where they kept deer penned up. One had a near state record rack on it until one night some idiot "criminal" shot it and cut the rack off. What a class act. Not.
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

wes_gsp

Post by wes_gsp » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:26 pm

When it is feeding time, make the pickup box the place, or...Throw a bird :wink:

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:11 pm

I have always just picked my dogs up and put them on the tailgate while saying load up. As a kid on some stuborn young coyote hound pups I just grabbed em by the loose skin on the base of their tail and their neck and gave em a toss. that takes about twice before they figure it out.
However, I dont let my dogs jump into the truck any more, and am very careful about leting them jump out of the truck. I have heard horror stories from some retriever guys about torn ACLs from dogs jumping in and out of trucks. On a load command my dogs put their front paws on the tail gate and i lift them in.
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

K9luke

Post by K9luke » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:37 pm

Some purist's will frown on this method but it works. I use the cheapest hot dogs I can find for treats during obedience training. An 89 cent pack goes a long way when you cut them into 1/4 inch pieces and they are cheaper than store bought dog treats after its all said and done. When I have a dog reluctant or skittish to "load up" (I use "mount up"). I just toss a couple chunks of cow lips and bung holes up in the crate, command "MOUNT UP" and get out of the way. After doing this a few times the command is all you need. You can go out in the driveway and make it a 3 repetition training exercise, make it a fun and rewarding game for your dog.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:55 pm

My vet says that "loading up" is a common way for a dog to be injured.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

boone0405

Post by boone0405 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:56 pm

I start in the house by elevating the kennel just a few inches to get the dog used to jumping up into the kennel. After a week or so, the kennel is about two feet off of the ground. After he is jumping up into his kennel in the house with it elevated, transitioning to the vehicle is really simple.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:16 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote: I have heard horror stories from some retriever guys about torn ACLs from dogs jumping in and out of trucks. On a load command my dogs put their front paws on the tail gate and i lift them in.
Jim
There was a member on here that had a young GSP snap a femur jumping out of his pickup bed. Freak thing, but...

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:22 pm

I was trying to teach m boy "up" to get in the truck and it just wasn't working so just out of curiosity once, I said "kennel" and he jumped right in! I've been using that command ever since.

Bill