Kuranda dog beds

wes_gsp

Kuranda dog beds

Post by wes_gsp » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:21 pm

Thinking of getting some Kuranda dog beds as some of my dogs are getting sores on their feet. Thought these might help the problem and work well for my setup. The dogs currently have platforms made of composite decking material. I think this surface is too rough and causing the sores. Any advice or recommendations?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Kuranda dog beds

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:31 pm

We use the Kuranda beds for almost all our kennel dogs. A few of the dogs are hard on them and those dogs we alternate between the Kuranda beds and a thick rubber mat. Some dogs will dig at the material until it rips others take good care of their beds. The material is completely replaceable and they have a few different types of material choices, which is nice. They are easy to wash and made of materials that won't corrode .

PS...I like the aluminum beds the best...they seem the toughest, nothing really to chew.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:37 pm

I have one that is 13+ years old. Not even the fabric has needed replacement. When I bought it only the Cordura fabric was offered. No complaints but Ballistic nylon will be easier to clean. I have the PVC model. I don't think the fancy aluminum model was available then. I have friends with the cheaper cot model no complaints either.

I just ordered a fleece top for mine.

wes_gsp

Post by wes_gsp » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:04 pm

Thanks guys. It looks like a nice product. not much to it but great idea. As far as the sores...is it pretty easy on the dogs that way.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:13 pm

Oh yea, it will eliminate those pressure points and abrasions on the ankles and hocks, as long as the dog likes laying on his bed and not the concrete.

If your dog is the type that will try to destroy the bed what I have begun to do is take the bed away and let them sleep on concrete that night. Next day give it back to them and stay within hearing distance....start compulsive digging at the bed just repeat....eventually the dog should learn not to tear up its bed.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:13 pm

I'll pretty much echo the above. I've had 'em for years in my indoor kennels and really do like 'em. Despite the company claims of indestructability, they are destructible - pretty much every part of them is destructible although most commonly it's the torn fabric that makes them nonfunctional. What I notice is the dogs scratch at them as mentioned and over time wear down thru the thick vinyl material - once they get to the canvas, it's pretty much game over for that fabric and it needs replaced within a few days - it's funny, I've had them completely destroy the fabric to where it's just an empty frame but they still climb inside and just lay on the concrete! :lol: I just ordered 3 new fabrics this week as well as some replacement corner assemblies and legs. It's about a once a year deal that I order replacement parts but I have had them actually ruin the fabrics in the span of a few days before. :twisted: That really gets a bit spendy on what are already spendy beds. IME, they tend to work better for older dogs that understand the benefits of sleep and just chillin' and they tend to succumb to the boredom of the youngsters. I usually will have a couple dogs housed together in the inside kennels so I like the beds because the dogs seem to share them plus it's easy to just put two of the beds in one kennel so they each have one. I've got three indoor kennels and 5 Kuranda beds...well 4 Kuranda beds at the moment with one completely torn up waiting for repair parts. Spent about $125 for repair parts this week - I usually order extras to have on hand. I've got 3 of the original steel ones and 2 of the aluminum ones - the fabrics last longer on the aluminum ones because the corners of the thick nylon are tucked in where the dogs can't get their teeth/claws on the edges...but the PVC corner assemblies and legs succumb to their chewing. The steel bed frames are pretty much indestructible, they'll take a beatin', show some serious abuse and still be usable but the fabric is much more vulnerable - I've 10+ years on the steel frames.

My personal preference for cost and durability is to hang barrels but my dogs don't seem to share those very well for some reason - putting two barrels per kennel just isn't really feasible space wise. I use them in my outside kennels. The barrels are cheap, they last forever, dogs seem to really love 'em, they're off the floor so I don't have to pick 'em up off the floor to clean kennels like I do the Kuranda beds (the Kuranda beds do hang nicely from the kennel wire mesh though for easy cleaning and drying as well).

wes_gsp

Post by wes_gsp » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:57 pm

I am going to order some. I have indoor kennels also so don't want anything that would require bedding. I think they will be the best (destructive "resistant") option. Some of the dogs I know will find a way to wreck them but most will just use them as intended. What fabric would you recommend? the 40 oz vinyl seems like it would be the toughest.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:56 pm

wes_gsp wrote:I am going to order some. I have indoor kennels also so don't want anything that would require bedding. I think they will be the best (destructive "resistant") option. Some of the dogs I know will find a way to wreck them but most will just use them as intended. What fabric would you recommend? the 40 oz vinyl seems like it would be the toughest.
That wasn't an option when I got mine, but it does seem tougher and easier to clean than the woven ballistic nylon or cordura nylon. I would think that with diggers the smoother the surface the better, so maybe the vinyl option is best. I would ask the company for advice.

windswept

Post by windswept » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:08 pm

It's been awhile since I ordered any but I always get the toughest fabric they have to offer. Like some of the guys above I have had a few young dogs dig a hole in them but there is a warranty. I don't recall the time frame but I have had Kuranda send me free fabric on two occassions.

There is another great thing about this design that I have never heard anyone talk about. I keep a couple in my house and I can bring a dog in from the kennel and regardless of age of the dog you can teach them literally in minutes to stay on the bed until you call them off. I don't know if it is the slight elevation with the solid PVC borders or what but for some reason the dogs all understand this super fast.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:22 pm

Well the initial warranty is 1 year. If you read the website, it says multiple replacements of the same part are handled case by case. That tells me that if you are civil the company will replace the fabric free of charge multiple times. My Lab was a digger and bed destroyer especially anything with a zipper and I still have the same fabric. The Spinone is not a digger or chewer so its still going strong even if the bed is a little bow-legged after all these years.

That is interesting about teaching stay on it. I do notice mine just sitting on it from time to time.

wes_gsp

Post by wes_gsp » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:03 pm

I found some aluminum beds on e-bay for $62. Apparently some oversea company copied the patent and now Kuranda has them and selling them for a discounted price. They claim that kuranda replacement parts will still work on these beds. Don't know about the warranty though.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:29 pm

I looked them up. They are painted and have the outdoor fabric. Interesting. You could always just replace the fabric. I would hope the powder coating is non-toxic.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:56 pm

I would mess with a painted bed, the aluminum framed beds will last a dogs lifetime .....

No reason to mess with a cheap imitation to save a few bucks....Just MHO

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Onk

Post by Onk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:23 am

There is another bed that is more or less the same but cheaper, its called Coolaroo Dog Beds. You might look into them, I have not had either of them to give an opinion.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:38 am

The Coolaroo is an outdoor kind of lounge. My sister has them. The material is like the webbing on an aluminum folding patio chair. For an older dog beyond the chewing years, they can work well too. I don't think anything is replaceable.

http://www.petcot.com/kennel-dog-beds.asp

There are few nice cot-style beds out there.