Rescue Dog

wills1235

Rescue Dog

Post by wills1235 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:55 pm

Hey I just rescued a 5 year old dog from the pound today. It was kind of a package deal. My fiancee bought me a gsp pup( "bleep" MARCH 26TH IS NEVER GONNA GET HERE), with the understanding that we would also rescue a dog. Kind of a balance/karma thing. Anyhow the dog I brought home is supposed to be a chocolate lab, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he had some gsp in him. He's definitely not all lab. Now I didn't get this dog to be a hunter, and he's supposed to be the wife's jogging partner/pet. But if he did hunt, well I suppose it would be wrong of me to suppress those genetic urges......

So I'm going to take him out in the back 20 tomorrow where I know we have some quail, and huns, and maybe a phezz or 2. I thought I would ask if anyone has ever tried something like this and had some tur... I mean nuggets of wisdom for me.

By the way, his level of obedience training is amazing. Great on a leash, sits and waits to be released, etc....
The best place to hunt is where the birds are. Next best is where they ain't. Anywhere else works too.

K9luke

Re: Rescue Dog

Post by K9luke » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:05 pm

Might be that his previous owner trained/hunted him ! You might be surprised and I hope that's the way it goes.
Good luck !

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:34 pm

My guess is pointing Lab. My guess is also gunshy. But, good luck, anyway.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:13 am

I'd take him out and give him a chance. Not out anything since you adopted him to be a companion anyway. Like K9luke said, you might be surprised. Good for you guys for giving a dog a good home. Best of luck!

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:59 am

Cajun Casey wrote:My guess is pointing Lab. My guess is also gunshy. But, good luck, anyway.
Sure, if you want to hunt the guy, he'll need training. For now, better to leave the shotgun at home for a while and see how interested he is in birds. Never know, he might end up being a great teammate to your GSP.

Good for you for taking him on - he'll benefit from alot of the same training as your pup!!

JMc

Post by JMc » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:50 pm

I've had quite a bit of experience with rescue and AzHusker is right...leave the gun at home the first time or your rescue might become a ghost. However, if he's not gunshy, then congratulation and welcome to the world of rescued success stories. My GSP in the avatar is a rescue.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:04 am

JMc wrote:I've had quite a bit of experience with rescue and AzHusker is right...leave the gun at home the first time or your rescue might become a ghost. However, if he's not gunshy, then congratulation and welcome to the world of rescued success stories. My GSP in the avatar is a rescue.

JMc, did I see you and your dog in Gun Dog magazine last issue or the issue before?

JMc

Post by JMc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:16 pm

Yes, that's us. I'm the good looking one... :wink:

wills1235

Post by wills1235 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:04 am

Well, turns out he only likes birds behind a fence, meaning my chickens. He likes them even more when they get out. Fortunately he's got a soft mouth. Actually he likes any bird he can see from the window of a truck too. He gets really excited by pheasant, quail and turkeys we drive by. Not a hunter though. He likes to follow me in the field. Might have been over pressured in his training is my guess. Good lesson for me to learn with the GSP pup coming any day.
The best place to hunt is where the birds are. Next best is where they ain't. Anywhere else works too.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:32 am

JMc wrote:Yes, that's us. I'm the good looking one... :wink:
Hehe, yeah, I didn't know that GSP's could type! Kidding aside, I enjoyed the article and photos. :D

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:07 am

wills1235 wrote:Well, turns out he only likes birds behind a fence, meaning my chickens. He likes them even more when they get out. Fortunately he's got a soft mouth. Actually he likes any bird he can see from the window of a truck too. He gets really excited by pheasant, quail and turkeys we drive by. Not a hunter though. He likes to follow me in the field. Might have been over pressured in his training is my guess. Good lesson for me to learn with the GSP pup coming any day.
Maybe you could work him as a retriever. That's primarily what he is, isn't it? Lots of people use a team.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:55 am

I'd continue to take him to the field, maybe he'll come out of his shell, especially if you continue to keep it low pressure and fun. I would think if he gets excited when he sees birds eventually things will click and could make a decent bird dog, could be wrong though.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:44 pm

wills1235 wrote:Not a hunter though. He likes to follow me in the field. Might have been over pressured in his training is my guess.
Too early to tell. If he's basically never been run off leash, only been in a yard or whatever, this is all just brand new to him. Keep taking him out for happy times, let him run and explore and keep your mouth closed. He could surprise you yet. Basically treat him like you would a pup, take him into easy cover without too many pickers and in areas where he can see you. Just let him built up some trust that you won't run off, and some confidence. Who knows?

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:21 pm

wills1235 wrote:By the way, his level of obedience training is amazing. Great on a leash, sits and waits to be released, etc....
This may be part of his problem. I don't mean that teaching a gundog obedience is bad, but if that's all he knows, he might be confused and not feel free to take the lead. Take him for lots of walks in the field and give him free rein, and he might surprise you over time.

oops, that was kind of a repeat post on my part, huh AZ? :oops: :lol:

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:26 pm

wems2371 wrote:
wills1235 wrote:By the way, his level of obedience training is amazing. Great on a leash, sits and waits to be released, etc....
This may be part of his problem. I don't mean that teaching a gundog obedience is bad, but if that's all he knows, he might be confused and not feel free to take the lead. Take him for lots of walks in the field and give him free rein, and he might surprise you over time.

oops, that was kind of a repeat post, huh AZ? :oops:

Not at all - that's a better way to put it. 100% OB training and 0% field training would likely produce a dog whose "comfort zone" is beside his owner. He just needs to learn to expand that "comfort zone."

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:54 pm

JMc wrote:My GSP in the avatar is a rescue.
So is mine. Sort of - I adopted her when she was 5 years old.

Jester

Post by Jester » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:02 pm

i am working with a rescue now 2.5 months in two it she has figured it out shes finale hunting. we haven't put a caller on her yet and she gets to do what ever she wants. we made shure she was gun shy and then hunted her every time out.