Young dog and trained dog hunt ?

K9luke

Young dog and trained dog hunt ?

Post by K9luke » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:23 pm

I have a young dog that I am taking to a preserve for a training session in a couple of weeks. I will take my old dog who is very good all around. The young dog is coming along very nicely on planted pigeons and has hunted grouse and woodcock a couple of times last fall. Her first and only retrieve during a hunt was a woodcock. I have been working with her all winter on holding point and being steady to wing and shot and not hunting her, just training. She is doing well on planted pigeons and loves the retrieve.
Any opinions on how you would conduct a training session with these two dogs and what you would not do would be helpful.
I am wondering if I should let her run with the other dog off lead to begin with or hold her back a bit on a check cord. See what happens with the first couple birds they point and make corrections accordinly ?
The dominance and competition factor is one thing I am worried about. They are both female. I have not worked the young dog on backing yet. Not enough time in a week.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Re: Young dog and trained dog hunt ?

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:55 pm

Run them seperately. The young one is learning well, but needs to learn how to do it solo before brace work.

Doug

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:44 pm

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:Run them seperately. The young one is learning well, but needs to learn how to do it solo before brace work.

Doug
Right on. Run the pup first with a CC if necessary then run the older dog. Afterwards if you want you can run them together after the birds are gone.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

penrod

Post by penrod » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:49 pm

A trainer that I used recommended that I run my dog by herself for her entire first hunting season. Another trainer that helps me out runs his youngest dogs first, then works the older ones.

K9luke

Post by K9luke » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:44 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:Run them seperately. The young one is learning well, but needs to learn how to do it solo before brace work.

Doug
Right on. Run the pup first with a CC if necessary then run the older dog. Afterwards if you want you can run them together after the birds are gone.

Ezzy
penrod wrote:A trainer that I used recommended that I run my dog by herself for her entire first hunting season. Another trainer that helps me out runs his youngest dogs first, then works the older ones.
All great advice. Thank you !

56-26

Post by 56-26 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:52 pm

Run them seperate. I wished I would of listened about that and now i"m paying the price. My pup I dont a lot of training with was doing awsome so I thought I would just run them together. Now I'm back to the basic with the pup again and dealing with flagging problems that he never had and it was messing with my older dog because the pup would just follow him around then run in a bust birds.