feedin venison to my gsp

fishfinder

feedin venison to my gsp

Post by fishfinder » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:49 pm

i have heard that feeding my dog venison is healthy for her. i was wondering if it needed to be cooked or fed raw? also wanted to know the benefits, if any? any help would greatly be appreciated. thank you.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: feedin venison to my gsp

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:02 pm

fishfinder wrote:i have heard that feeding my dog venison is healthy for her. i was wondering if it needed to be cooked or fed raw? also wanted to know the benefits, if any? any help would greatly be appreciated. thank you.
It is good cooked or raw. I would feed it raw. But the thing to remember is it should be used more as a treat than to feed very much in a day as it will unbalance the complete diet of dry food.. But your dog will likea little and it is good for them. Just keep it a small amount and you will be fine.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Its great if you are running her hard.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:22 am

Raw all the way but feed it after the dog eats its regular food so it views it as a reward. Some come to expect it and wont eat or they just pick it out of the kibble if you mix.

If you can get some of the organ and bones from that deer get those too. Heart, tripe, spleen, liver, lungs, breast plate.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:16 am

There is a store down here that sells tubes of refridgerated venison for cat and dog food. If it wasn't so dang pricey, I'd be feeding it to mine.

High end breeders and owners of working dogs also feed what they call RMB's - raw, meaty bones, like joint bones, knuckles, etc. Make sure they're raw and take them up if they get dried out (can get hard and break teeth). Dogs LOVE them.

Ezzy nailed it - if you are mixing kibble and raw, keep the quantity of one or the other small, NEVER equal. Dogs process kibble and raw meat at different rates, and it can really mess with their digestion/processing if their systems are dealing with both at once.

If I could feed 100% raw venison exclusively (including organ means with supplements) I would do it in a heartbeat. Can't do it - pockets aren't deep enough and deer aren't plentiful enough in Az.
Last edited by AzDoggin on Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:23 am

I agree with the others on here...but stick to the rule "everythings good in moderation"...i would only give your gsp a little and increase gradually each time and feed it only as a "treat" unless you feed a BARF diet and its system is use to it...but your dog will love it..especially the bones..we have never hunted deer but a friend brad goes every year and brings our dog some bones as a treat so everytime he sees brad he assumes brads got them and looks at him like "um arent you forgetting something"?....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:10 am

I feed my dogs raw venison every now and again and usually feed it in place of a meal. I can't afford to buy a lot of raw either so I asked some of my friends who hunt to save me parts they aren't going to use. I get a lot of meat in the trimmings. I bag it up and freeze it. The dogs love it...

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:26 am

i had a frezzer die on my 2 weeks ago and lost a bunch of food including about 10 pounds of last year's deer. :( found out about it too late, couldn't save anything. instead of throwing all the venison away i got the barbque out and cooked everthing. i now have a nice supply of dog "treats" that get used regularly. :mrgreen:

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:11 am

Don't feed too many deer bones at a time!!! Before I had britts I used to have 3 springers that I kept in the same pen.. After boning out a deer, I thru all the bones into the pen at the same time. They loved it--in 2 days the bones were gone. It bound the dogs up and they couldn't poop. I took them to the vet--he gave me a tube of laxative(for the dogs, not me :lol: :lol: ) and told me when they do poop, it will be gray and look like powdered cement. Sure enough when they did start pooping (after alot of straining), out came a bunch of grey compacted cement looking plugs. Lesson learned :!: :!:
Don't overfeed bones.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:45 am

deseeker wrote:Don't feed too many deer bones at a time!!! Before I had britts I used to have 3 springers that I kept in the same pen.. After boning out a deer, I thru all the bones into the pen at the same time. They loved it--in 2 days the bones were gone. It bound the dogs up and they couldn't poop. I took them to the vet--he gave me a tube of laxative(for the dogs, not me :lol: :lol: ) and told me when they do poop, it will be gray and look like powdered cement. Sure enough when they did start pooping (after alot of straining), out came a bunch of grey compacted cement looking plugs. Lesson learned :!: :!:
Don't overfeed bones.

Yikes. Good point.

We had a dog on a raw diet for about 4 months, long story. It was mostly chicken quarters, turkey necks and a beef rmb with some supplements. His poops were small, whitish grayish, and desintegrated in the Arizona heat (summer time) within a day or two. You could kick the poop with your foot and it would just go "poof" and crumble away. Eventually, we transitioned him back to kibble, and the big smelly ones returned. :cry:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:56 am

AzDoggin wrote:There is a store down here that sells tubes of refridgerated venison for cat and dog food. If it wasn't so dang pricey, I'd be feeding it to mine.

High end breeders and owners of working dogs also feed what they call RMB's - raw, meaty bones, like joint bones, knuckles, etc. Make sure they're raw and take them up if they get dried out (can get hard and break teeth). Dogs LOVE them.

Ezzy nailed it - if you are mixing kibble and raw, keep the quantity of one or the other small, NEVER equal. Dogs process kibble and raw meat at different rates, and it can really mess with their digestion/processing if their systems are dealing with both at once.

If I could feed 100% raw venison exclusively (including organ means with supplements) I would do it in a heartbeat. Can't do it - pockets aren't deep enough and deer aren't plentiful enough in Az.
Plus your dogs would suffer if all you are feeding is meat. They need the vegetable matter just as much as they need the meat sources. Dry kibble type feeds are so popular because they provide the best nutrition and are reasonably cheap in comparison and save so much mess that you would have to go through to feed anything else.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:03 am

ezzy333 wrote:
AzDoggin wrote:There is a store down here that sells tubes of refridgerated venison for cat and dog food. If it wasn't so dang pricey, I'd be feeding it to mine.

Plus your dogs would suffer if all you are feeding is meat. They need the vegetable matter just as much as they need the meat sources. Dry kibble type feeds are so popular because they provide the best nutrition and are reasonably cheap in comparison and save so much mess that you would have to go through to feed anything else.

Ezzy
Yes they do need some veggie stuff too. The folks that feed raw alot make up this "goop" with all the veggies and supplements in there that they serve along with the meat. Here's a pretty balanced article on the subject http://leerburg.com/diet.htm I have no desire to get into a "raw versus kibble" debate, both have plenty of advantages and proponents. Have you ever seen the teeth of dogs fed raw, though, Ezzy? They are unbelievably clean - just a white as puppy teeth in a 10-12 year old dog. For the amount of $$ I've spent on teeth cleanings, extractions, surgeries over the years, I'd probably be ahead if I'd just jumped on the raw bandwagon 10 years ago. Here's some of the ingredients in a responsible "raw" diet from the link above:
A list of ingredients to feed in your kennel:

Raw Meat - Any raw muscle meat will work, I feed turkey hamburger because of price but normal hamburger is also just as good.

A raw egg 3 to 5 times per week (with the shell)

Turkey necks, chicken necks or chicken backs

Chopped Veggie pulp (carrots, cauliflower, celery, green beans etc)

Kelp and alfalfa - the fine powdered type

Powdered vitamin C

Essential Fatty Acids
Cod liver oil
Salmon oil OMEGA 3 - VERY IMPORTANT EVER DAY
Flaxseed oil

Glucosamine Powder (99% pure)

Vitamin E - EXTREMELY IMPORTANT - YOUR DOG MUST HAVE THIS !!!!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:08 am

Most do have pretty nice teeth. But I have three eating dry and two don't have a sign of tartar and the oher one is bad. Just a difference in the PH and other things in their systems.

Ezzy

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:11 am

ezzy333 wrote:Most do have pretty nice teeth. But I have three eating dry and two don't have a sign of tartar and the oher one is bad. Just a difference in the PH and other things in their systems.

Ezzy
Yeah, I've just had bad luck with some individual dogs, I think. Not all of our dogs have had the problems. I'd have to say allowing the teeth problems to build up is our fault for not brushing them or keeping up with them better.

It's alot easier to blame dog food than it is to take personal responsibility, though. :wink:

fishfinder

Post by fishfinder » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:36 am

thank you for the feedback, very much appreciated. i still want to keep my dog on kibble food, i was just wanting to know the pro's and con's of feeding venison. i have a one year old GSP and she seems to be a little on the skinny side, but i feed her more than enough food (kibble) in a day. is this just the nature of a GSP when they're young?

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:39 am

According to my vet the reason you don't feed raw with kibble is because the digestion system works slower with kibble, so your dog cannot process dangerous bacteria quicly enough, thus giving your dog a risk of contracting a serious infection.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:45 pm

fishfinder wrote:thank you for the feedback, very much appreciated. i still want to keep my dog on kibble food, i was just wanting to know the pro's and con's of feeding venison. i have a one year old GSP and she seems to be a little on the skinny side, but i feed her more than enough food (kibble) in a day. is this just the nature of a GSP when they're young?
I have one comment, you say you are feeding more than enough food in a day. I question that because you then say your dog is skinny. Your dog is the only one that can tell you what is enough. It varies with every dog's metabolism and age, plus environmental conditions and exercise amount.

And young dogs many times can not eat enough to keep them heavy just like a teenager compared to us when we get older. If your pup is a little thin I would guess it is in excellent condition and it will put on a little more weight and conditioning as it matures.

Sounds like you are doing well, just stick with it and don't worry about every little thig as long as your dog is healthy.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:08 pm

"For the amount of $$ I've spent on teeth cleanings, extractions, surgeries over the years, I'd probably be ahead if I'd just jumped on the raw bandwagon 10 years ago. Here's some of the ingredients in a responsible "raw" diet from the link above:"

This is very true one full cleaning where I live is at least $500. That is 2,000 lbs of good quality chicken necks and backs.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:55 pm

mcbosco wrote:"For the amount of $$ I've spent on teeth cleanings, extractions, surgeries over the years, I'd probably be ahead if I'd just jumped on the raw bandwagon 10 years ago. Here's some of the ingredients in a responsible "raw" diet from the link above:"

This is very true one full cleaning where I live is at least $500. That is 2,000 lbs of good quality chicken necks and backs.
Oh heck my dogs are 11 and 14. I plan on $1000 every other year. I'd be THRILLED with a $500 dental bill.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:03 pm

Oh heck my dogs are 11 and 14. I plan on $1000 every other year. I'd be THRILLED with a $500 dental bill.
You pay $1000 for a cleaning? Even in the pricey Northeast that is unbelievable. Maybe a cleaning with about 8-10 extractions but a routine cleaning should be under $500.

Try raw knuckle bones. I have never had to have a dogs teeth cleaned...

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:38 pm

AzDoggin wrote:
mcbosco wrote:"For the amount of $$ I've spent on teeth cleanings, extractions, surgeries over the years, I'd probably be ahead if I'd just jumped on the raw bandwagon 10 years ago. Here's some of the ingredients in a responsible "raw" diet from the link above:"

Well just get the necks and backs then and feed after the kibble it will probably save you a bunch of money. What kind of kibble are you using?

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:45 pm

mcbosco wrote:
AzDoggin wrote:

Well just get the necks and backs then and feed after the kibble it will probably save you a bunch of money. What kind of kibble are you using?
Blue Buffalo senior the last couple years. Some other premium (forgot the name) about the 5 years prior to that.

Now that you mention it, the necks would be good tooth-scrubbers. We may try that. You don't think a neck would conflict with the kibble digestion-wise?

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:52 pm

jlp8cornell wrote:
You pay $1000 for a cleaning? Even in the pricey Northeast that is unbelievable. Maybe a cleaning with about 8-10 extractions but a routine cleaning should be under $500.

Try raw knuckle bones. I have never had to have a dogs teeth cleaned...
Cleaning with 2-3 extractions has been in the vicinity of $1000. Vet prices here are outrageous. Years ago, we got that vet insurance and kept it for awhile. The problem was that they paid something like 80% of fees from an "average fee schedule." The problem was that our costs were so high that the reimbursement ended up being less than 50% as I recall, so we dumped it.

The other problem we have is that our vet, though very competent, received her certification in animal dentistry a couple years back. She bought a bunch of expensive equipment...you know the story, costs went through the roof. Does excellent work, can't fault her for that, but the CO$T is killing us.

I think we need to go to another vet. Maybe one that drives a Ford Pickup instead of a Mercedes. :oops:

jlp8cornell - NEVER had to get your dog's teeth cleaned? Do you feed raw exclusively? Kibble and brush teeth several times a week? Have YOUNG dogs? Do tell...

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:57 pm

Over the past 50 years and several hundred dogs if I had all of the money I have spent on teeth cleaning, extractions, and surgeries plus a dollar I could get something off of McDonalds dollar menu.

Ezzy

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:00 pm

I have had dogs, and plenty of ones that lived to a ripe ole age, but NEVER had any dental work. I will re-iterate, these are animals.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:06 pm

ezzy333 wrote:

Over the past 50 years and several hundred dogs if I had all of the money I have spent on teeth cleaning, extractions, and surgeries plus a dollar I could get something off of McDonalds dollar menu.

Ezzy
Guys, I need to give you my wife's cell phone number.

I won't give any more $$ #'s because it's getting embarrasing.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:12 pm

topher40 wrote:I have had dogs, and plenty of ones that lived to a ripe ole age, but NEVER had any dental work. I will re-iterate, these are animals.
I'm from farm country so I know what you are saying. We take a little different approach toward our critters now that I'm "civilized." :lol:

That's meant to be humor. We all get to care for our animals in the manner we want.

For what it's worth - you and I are "animals" too. :wink: :D

Maybe the fact that my wife originally planned to be a veterinarian figures into her thinking, I don't know. Let's just say ours get plenty of care in lots of different ways. I'm OK with how we are doing things, but I am going to look for a less pricey vet.
Last edited by AzDoggin on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:13 pm

jlp8cornell - NEVER had to get your dog's teeth cleaned? Do you feed raw exclusively? Kibble and brush teeth several times a week? Have YOUNG dogs? Do tell...
That explains the high cost- the dentistry specialty, equipment, etc. Same with horses around here. I would pay Cornell Ambulatory (traveling lg animal vet/resident) about $50 to float my horses tetth while others would pay $250-300 for a dentistry from a DVM with fancy equip.

Never had teeth cleaned. 1) I had a 13 yr old GSD that was fed only kibble. Teeth were immaculate. He wasn't a chewer either. I was prob just lucky. 2 and 3) My 12 yr old Hound cross and 2.5yr old GSP have always been fed kibble. I do give them raw ever now and again but their diets are 95% kibble. I feed Orijen and ProPac high perf. They also get raw knuckle bones about 1-2x/week (feed the refreeze-they last about 5 sessions). I also started giving them bully sticks as well. The both like to chew on Nylabones now and again. I also feed them the Canidae snap biscuits which are really hard and have ridges in them.

I have never brushed their teeth. Before I started feeding the knuckle bones, I had probably chipped a little tarter off the old girl's back molars maybe 4 times over her life. If your dogs get tarter build up, you could scrap them before they get too bad. And I am with you on the vet care issue- tarter build up can lead to nasty problems down the road for those dogs. All that bacteria washes into their bloodstream and causes heart, kidney, etc problems plus the gum disease.... If they need to be cleaned, they need to be cleaned.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:22 pm

Thanks for the details, jlp8cornell. Other than brand of kibble, our approach is pretty similar. I could give them knuckles a little more often. They do get bully sticks and a variety of other chewable stuff. Our old boy just plain has bad teeth, and really, has since we got him. Unfortunately, as you know, bacteria in the mouth migrates into their system and leads to a whole host other health problems. If I was still on the farm, I guess we'd chalk those up to "natural causes" but now that we have the means, it's hard in good conscience to look the other way.

I'm glad I got this info - it's reminding me to get a different vet. Also, we've been on the cusp of switching over to raw altogether. Need to dedicate some freezer space, and the though of returning to the dog dentist may be the impetus I need to get us there.

Apologies to the OP - didn't mean to lead your "venison" thread so astray.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:25 pm

AzDoggin wrote:Thanks for the details, jlp8cornell. Other than brand of kibble, our approach is pretty similar. I could give them knuckles a little more often. They do get bully sticks and a variety of other chewable stuff. Our old boy just plain has bad teeth, and really, has since we got him. Unfortunately, as you know, bacteria in the mouth migrates into their system and leads to a whole host other health problems. If I was still on the farm, I guess we'd chalk those up to "natural causes" but now that we have the means, it's hard in good conscience to look the other way.

I'm glad I got this info - it's reminding me to get a different vet. Also, we've been on the cusp of switching over to raw altogether. Need to dedicate some freezer space, and the though of returning to the dog dentist may be the impetus I need to get us there.

Apologies to the OP - didn't mean to lead your "venison" thread so astray.
Don't forget the green tripe on the way to raw feeding......

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:36 pm

Have some of that nasty tripe - and man, the dogs LOVE IT.

mc - I may start another thread or resurrect one on raw feeding one of these days. Sounds like you may be there - or close anyway.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:56 pm

Would love to. I use kibble as a base but always have raw on hand. In the NY area getting raw stuff on the cheap is easy once you establish suppliers, like the abattoir that keeps the whole tripe :wink: just for his pals. After the County Fair season, the sky is the limit on organ meat.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:23 pm

Some really good insight on this thread! If you do have overflowing stores of venison and if you own a dehydrator; venison of any pieces makes a great chew treat for your dog if prepared properly. Cut with the grain(makes more chewy) and dehydrate until beyond dry! Cook in the oven on a baking sheet prior to dehydrating for 20 minutes at 160degrees to kill any bad bacteria. Just pure, good protein as a great snack while on the road or in the field. Trust me and and Klondike mushers on this one! Lasts a long shelf life and is a healthy treat! -Mark

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:30 pm

There is no way I am feeding good venison to the dogs. If I wasn't going to eat it myself it would go to the food pantry for people who need it. There is plenty of scraps or roadkill to feed the dogs if you want to go pick it up.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:11 am

ezzy333 wrote:There is no way I am feeding good venison to the dogs. If I wasn't going to eat it myself it would go to the food pantry for people who need it. There is plenty of scraps or roadkill to feed the dogs if you want to go pick it up.

Ezzy
Oh yeah agreed, we are talking about leg & neck meat, offal, etc. The tenderloin gets a dusting of flour, a bath in hot butter and shallots then a nice red wine reduction. :D

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:15 am

mcbosco wrote:Oh yeah agreed, we are talking about leg & neck meat, offal, etc. The tenderloin gets a dusting of flour, a bath in hot butter and shallots then a nice red wine reduction. :D
What time is dinner and what kind of beverage should I bring? :mrgreen:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:10 am

mcbosco wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:There is no way I am feeding good venison to the dogs. If I wasn't going to eat it myself it would go to the food pantry for people who need it. There is plenty of scraps or roadkill to feed the dogs if you want to go pick it up.

Ezzy
Oh yeah agreed, we are talking about leg & neck meat, offal, etc. The tenderloin gets a dusting of flour, a bath in hot butter and shallots then a nice red wine reduction. :D
And the leg and neck meat all go into the hamburger which is mixed and used for chili and spagetti plus a few other things. Never have enough it seems to get through the year.

Ezzy

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:43 am

fishfinder,
I feed Deer meat to my dogs during hunting season, mixed in with their regular feed, I semi cook it, My Vet advises me that my dogs
live & hunt to a very old age because of the way they are housed and fed. It works well for my gun dogs, so I keeping feeding the Deer meat during hunting season.
RGD/Dave

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:14 am

I feed raw deer meat also as a supplement. About once a week in normal winter weather and 2-3 times a week in very cold weather I give about a 1/2 - 1 lb of scrap meat/fat/bone from the deer we have processed. I also save and freeze the leg bones and give those raw. Agree though not to give too much bone at once. In the summer I am usually out of the scraps but if I still have some, I back down to 1 raw bone every 2 weeks or so and I feed it frozen. They knaw away at it, but have to have it outside as it has a sweet/freezer meat smell that seems to stay in the house forever. BTW they can devor a pretty big bone in a half day, so it doesn't "sit around" much.

I won't lie. I started this to help cut the feed bills. Some GSP's are hard to keep weight on and the raw venison seems to help. But I really think it has a lot of benefits. I don't know if I would be so ready to feed stor bought raw though. More chances it's gonna have e-coli or something with all the factory high volume processing ...