DIY Piegon Trap

usmc4295

DIY Piegon Trap

Post by usmc4295 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:02 pm

Hey Guy's ya'll know I'm from new orleans and pigeons are my primary bird for training well.....

Alright everyone I was amazed when I saw the prices of double door pigeon traps and decided ya know what I'm gonna build my own and keep my budget to $30,well here's the results,and just a heads up I know there aren't any door bob's installed at this current time I'm still deciding exactly how I want to tackle that aspect with the remaining money from the budget anyway here's my step by step instructions with pictures. Total measurements on my trap are 36" long 12"tall 24"wide

Here's the tools used nothing more nothing less

Here's the wire I used the most expensive part of this,it is 1"x1" mesh 24" wide and 15' long total $12.99

30 feet of 1/2" pvp piping at $2.06 a 10foot length total $6.18

8x 1/2" 90 degree elbows @ $0.28 each and 8x 1/2" "T" fittings at $0.32 each total cost $4.80

First cut 8x 1 1/4" long pieces of the 1/2" pvc

Next join the "T" and the 90 elbow with these 1 1/4" pieces like so

When you are finished you should have something resembling this, we will call these the corners and braces

Now cut 4x pvc pipe 32 1/2" and 4x pvc pipe 21 1/2" and insert them into the corner and braces looking like this

Now cut 4x pvc pipe 10 1/4" long and insert them into the upright "T" fitting (upward bracing) and join the two halfs together

Now unwrap the roll of wire and count 3 holes(this will be 3inches)and create a sharp 90 degree angle,I just used my hands and creased it at the seam,word of advice,unroll a section of wire,hold the roll in your hands and "walk it out" unrolling and stepping on the wire at the same time,bending out the form it took while in the roll
Now set the frame over the 3" lip and pull the roll of wire all the way around the frame and back to the 3" lip bending and sharpening the corners where needed and pull 3" more and overlap this seam

This will cover 4/6 sides of your cage,now use the remaining length of wire to cover the side and snip it,whould have about 8 inches of wire total left over,I overlayed the wire on each corner by about 5 inches for extra sturdiness and strength of the cage but you can choose to snip it clean on the corners,completely your choice

I used the old time method of fashioning the wire to itself by cutting the straight edge off and rolling the protuding end over it's counterpart with the pliers thus creating a nice extremely sturdy seam,just roll by hand 1 complete loop then grab with the pliers and continue to roll over until it looks like the last picture

Total time invested about 3 hours including lunchbreak and a few smoke breaks :)
Total cost of project $26.14

Ken Lynch

Re: DIY Piegon Trap

Post by Ken Lynch » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:24 pm

Good start. Waiting to see how you put doors in.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:23 am

Probably end up being a Hall of fame post good start !

wills1235

Post by wills1235 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:55 am

I got mine even cheaper. I found it in an outbuilding at the farmhouse I just moved into. I've got a barn full of pigeons and a pup on the way so I'm thinking it will get some use.
The best place to hunt is where the birds are. Next best is where they ain't. Anywhere else works too.

hotrod13

Post by hotrod13 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:50 am

I made doors out of the same wire I built the cage with. I cut the door one one length longer, and then cut out and bent in the middle (to make it more inviting), I tried cutting the door with just long strips (no cross sections) out of the wire, but they could push through. I used j clips to fasten the door, just left a little room in the j clips for the door to close after a bird entered the trap. I caught over a 100 birds with this one. Sorry not the best picture, but took it this morning to try and help out.

Good Luck,

Rod
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

usmc4295

Post by usmc4295 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:24 am

Actually to stay true to my budget I was thinking one of two things for my doors, either some old bent aluminum arrow's cut down for bob's or spending the remainder of the budget and getting some 1/4" pvc and putting some lead fishing sinker's on the bottom will finish this today I do believe,thanks for the info everyone

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:47 am

I always used the wire to make a funnel, tie it up to the roof so it angles up. No different than a funnel on a minnow trap just a bit bigger so the birds can get in. It works great.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

PointingQuail

Post by PointingQuail » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:39 am

If anyone could post some pics of the funnel system they use that would be much appreciated. Nice job usmc4295, thanks for letting us in on your project.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:23 pm

IT IS EASY. Make a funnel, make sure a pigeon can get through the end of it, about 2-3 inches in diameter. Catching birds isnt rocket science :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:41 pm

PointingQuail wrote:If anyone could post some pics of the funnel system they use that would be much appreciated. Nice job usmc4295, thanks for letting us in on your project.
http://www.lcsupply.com/searchprods.asp
If this link doesn't bring up the actual pictures, type "funnel" in the search area on the LCS website page.

http://www.lcsupply.com/Pigeon-Trap-Doo ... info/PTDL/
just a premade bob door

usmc4295

Post by usmc4295 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:22 pm

Alright everyone the trap is finally finished,single door for now will become a dual door later if I like the results of my trailer park pigeon trap hahahaha

Simple pattern for a 6"x6" opening (drilled holes for use of the jigsaw)

Rigged up an old brake line and twisted the straightened wire coat hangers around it for added strength(didn't like the flimsy feeling of just one strand)

Bob Door is now installed via staple gun

Almost forgot,cut and hinged in a door on top to get the birds out!!! Held down with a simple bungee cord

Hope someone finds this useful if you have any questions on the exact procedure to the bob door pm me I have a lot more pic's of detailed steb by step instructions

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:37 pm

Nicely done. Thank you for the pictures and the project.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Bandito

Post by Bandito » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:12 pm

I made a much less elaborate pigeon trap and used a wire coat hanger for the bobs. Just an idea.

Nice work, I'm interested to see your success. What was your final total cost?

usmc4295

Post by usmc4295 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:09 pm

I spent $.50 on 10 wire coat hangers which i cut up for the bob's,so $26.68 total cost and about 5 hours total of my time,was a bit time consuming making the bob door but I redid it 3 times until I was happy with the outcome,settled on 10 bobs for the 6" opening