What Is Your Feeding Time Like?

Ken Lynch

What Is Your Feeding Time Like?

Post by Ken Lynch » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:44 pm

What is your feeding time like? 8) Sorry for the darkness of the picture. Only have an old camera that does not do well in low light. :roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Dk-nTgEJI
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

dan janssen

Re: What Is Your Feeding Time Like?

Post by dan janssen » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:04 pm

teach those dogs to sit before you feed them. I did that to my dogs at feeding and before I let them out of the kennel It proteces my grandkids when they want to help. Dan Janssen

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:32 pm

This is how it goes at my house. Have to excuse the video I was trying out a pair of I-Kam glasses that I had just purchased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwNJABXXJ4Q

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:09 pm

tnbndr, that is what I was hoping people would do. Show videos of the different things their dogs do at supper time. By the way, with one or two dogs that is easy. Try it with 6 in the house. They each wait for their food dish to be put down and their name is used to release them for their food. Notice that the jumper sits and waits for her name once her dish hits the ground. When I travel in my camper I can line them up on one of the fold out beds and have them stay while I fix their food and place all the dishes on the floor in different parts of the camper. I can then point to a food dish and say a dogs name and they will go to that dish to eat. What other games do people play at feeding time and what strange things do dogs do while waiting for food?
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:49 am

Feeding time at my house....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HcA2mEr87M

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:51 am

We've got 4 dogs at home, so we crate everyone at dinner time.

We get home from work, let everyone outside. Chase Chloe off the deck or she'll pee on the deck waiting to come in for dinner. Once everyone has emptied out, we let them in, and they go tearing through the house to their crates. Tess & Blaze kennel up without saying a word to them (they're in the farthest crates from the door). Courage and Chloe play musical crates....all the while Chloe is spinning like a whirling dervish. Once they go in their own crates, we take bowls to the garage to fill. Chloe usually barks until she gets her bowl.

It's funny as heck to watch...it lasts all of 90 seconds, then back outside.

On the weekends, the "dinner dance" starts at around 3:00 p.m. with Blaze letting out a single bark and running to the office and jumping in his crate...half the time the other 3 go with him, then running back to wherever we are to "remind" us again. Feeding time at the zoo is around 5:30.

We're adding 2 more dogs to the zoo this summer/fall. We better get that basement finished by then! :D :D
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:57 am

dan janssen wrote:teach those dogs to sit before you feed them. I did that to my dogs at feeding and before I let them out of the kennel It proteces my grandkids when they want to help. Dan Janssen
+1 here, except I use whoa and my dogs are separated They stand still until I release them and then I clean the kennels while they are eating. I should add that I do this one at a time. Quick, no stress, no kayos :D

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

V-John

Post by V-John » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:59 pm

Man, I usually have to call mine into the room to get them fed. I feed them all in crates, so there is no sort of problem. Works for me.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:41 am

jlp8cornell wrote:Feeding time at my house....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HcA2mEr87M
The little one sure doesn't waste anytime eating lol

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:51 am

LOL. We call her "Piggy Princess".

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:57 am

jlp8cornell wrote:
LOL. We call her "Piggy Princess".
That's a great nick name !

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:05 am

I do a constant feed for my dogs, they eat what they need and I keep the feed bucket full. All are in great shape. I can put 4 feed buckets in there and it will last a week or longer, same with the water. Helps the guy I use when I go away on work or vacation.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:07 am

3.5 year old always Roxi fetches her dish and prances down the hallway and out to the garage with me. She holds it until I say give, otherwise she has to fetch it up and hold it again. Once I take the dish, she makes a mad dash back into the house to wait. She's been doing that voluntarily since she was a pup and loves to carry stuff around. When she's done eating, she'll often pick the dish back up and carry it some more. It's not like she's hungry and begging for more food, because if I add more food, she'll leave it untouched. Guess she just doesn't like to see an empty dish. It always amazes me too, that she remembers where she left the dish last.

Almost 2 year old Brandi trots behind us to the garage. Once Roxi passes her dish off, Brandi watches me scoop food into them. The bins are low to the ground, and she has a hankering for my old labs food, so she usually gets to take a taste off of the top.

On the way back into the house to the feeding area, my 14 year old lab will be doing her happy dance at the end of the hallway, shifting back and forth on her front feet.

None of them get too bossy about feeding time, so I don't have any protocol there. Sometimes Roxi will want to start in Brandi's bowl, but a quick finger point and calling her name, gets her to go to the right bowl. No squabbles either, even if one of them is trying to share bowls.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:00 am

I do a constant feed for my dogs, they eat what they need and I keep the feed bucket full. All are in great shape. I can put 4 feed buckets in there and it will last a week or longer, same with the water.
that would not work with my dog. she eats 1 1/2 cups in about 15seconds and would probably try to eat the whole 40 lb bag if i let her.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:09 am

wems2371 wrote:3.5 year old always Roxi fetches her dish and prances down the hallway and out to the garage with me. She holds it until I say give, otherwise she has to fetch it up and hold it again. Once I take the dish, she makes a mad dash back into the house to wait. She's been doing that voluntarily since she was a pup and loves to carry stuff around. When she's done eating, she'll often pick the dish back up and carry it some more. It's not like she's hungry and begging for more food, because if I add more food, she'll leave it untouched. Guess she just doesn't like to see an empty dish. It always amazes me too, that she remembers where she left the dish last.

Almost 2 year old Brandi trots behind us to the garage. Once Roxi passes her dish off, Brandi watches me scoop food into them. The bins are low to the ground, and she has a hankering for my old labs food, so she usually gets to take a taste off of the top.

On the way back into the house to the feeding area, my 14 year old lab will be doing her happy dance at the end of the hallway, shifting back and forth on her front feet.

None of them get too bossy about feeding time, so I don't have any protocol there. Sometimes Roxi will want to start in Brandi's bowl, but a quick finger point and calling her name, gets her to go to the right bowl. No squabbles either, even if one of them is trying to share bowls.
Great stuff!! :D
Charlie

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:27 am

brad27 wrote:
I do a constant feed for my dogs, they eat what they need and I keep the feed bucket full. All are in great shape. I can put 4 feed buckets in there and it will last a week or longer, same with the water.
that would not work with my dog. she eats 1 1/2 cups in about 15seconds and would probably try to eat the whole 40 lb bag if i let her.
Same here for one of my dogs [8 mo. old shorthair]. I went on a four day hunting trip a couple of months ago and bought an automatic feeder and a heated water bucket so my wife would not have to worry about the pup, except for keeping water in the bucket. When I returned home, he looked more like a pig than a dog. :oops: :roll: :lol: I have him back under control now, but it could have been tragic. I will not do it again. I tried it years ago with one of my other dogs and he did great for a couple of months. Never over ate and looked great. Then he learned if he kept pawing at it, it would keep coming out and it was great fun. As soon as I would fill it, it would all end up on the ground and the starlings would have a feast. :x

Charlie

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:20 pm

I taped mine last night, they are very well trained.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVwlMVYq ... r_embedded

taxidermy

Post by taxidermy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:47 pm

I almose never smile but this made me!

by nikegundog » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:20 am

I taped mine last night, they are very well trained.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:10 pm

nikegundog wrote:I taped mine last night, they are very well trained.

Nike, yours are trained well to eat but i train mine to clean up afterwards :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Brittlover

Post by Brittlover » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:17 pm

markj wrote:I do a constant feed for my dogs, they eat what they need and I keep the feed bucket full. All are in great shape. I can put 4 feed buckets in there and it will last a week or longer, same with the water. Helps the guy I use when I go away on work or vacation.
If I did this, I'd have an 80+ pound Brittany.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:25 pm

I freefeed about every three days. My pen is on the front of an old shed, so the feed is in the dry. I feed a good feed, Loyall AA, plus my young dog is a Llewellin Setter which means he's smart enough to not gorge. :D
big steve