Placement of a call back cage ?

Brad6260

Placement of a call back cage ?

Post by Brad6260 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:46 am

Hello everyone. New member here.

With a new pup in the house and the closest place I can get him in birds an hour away I have constructed a small call back cage to keep 10 or so bobwhites here at my house for daily work.

I have a 7 acre CRP type field behind our house and it is 50 yards from an open tobacco/equipment type barn.
I'm curious if I can just leave the cage in the barn ? Will the called birds enter the structure as easily as if the cage is sat out behind the barn near the field. The barn would certainly offer protection from the elements and predators but would it lessen the chance of the birds being recaptured to the cage ?

Thanks for input.

Brad

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Placement of a call back cage ?

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:25 pm

Probably not. Leave it in the field and let them recall to it in the field.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

K9luke

Post by K9luke » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:20 pm

The birds will look for any type of cover. I would place it at the nearest hedgerow or any type of cover that is nearby. Definately not in the barn.

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:46 pm

Better off in some type of thicket, definatley make sure there are no cats around the barn.

Brad6260

Post by Brad6260 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:49 am

Ok so if I am placing the call back cage in field cover how can I protect the cage from predators? In my case mainly coyotes.
I'm assuming the cage needs to be left out overnight if I'm working the dog in the evenings ?

How bout this idea. The field I'll be working in is 50feet from my 1/4 acre fenced in back yard. The dogs are kept in at night.
What if I fenced off a small area in a corner of the yards inside the fencing to leave the cage n days when I have released birds ?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

K9luke

Post by K9luke » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:18 pm

All you can do is try it and if it doesn't work set the pen out to a better place the next evening. I would set it in a brushy area and retrieve the call back pen an hour or so after dark. I never left mine out overnight.

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:10 pm

Once its dark the birds will just hold their and not move so any birds not in after its dark will not recall till the morning. If its one of those small cages just go get it after dark.

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:16 pm

Build a little platform on a tree, or free standing that you can put the pen on. leave the pen under the tree until sundown then put it up on the paltform, any birds not back in will call under the tree early in the morning. Why not build a small johnny house to put in your back yard? Then you only have to deal with a door to close at night, you can even get the predator proof funnels.

Brad6260

Post by Brad6260 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:58 pm

Tall Boy you may have a good idea there putting the cage off the ground overnight.
Here's a look at the field out back and a finger of woods with heavy cover where a cage could be placed.
And I can watch how high a Coyote can jump from my bedroom window!

Thanks.

ImageImage

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:16 pm

Should work nicely, they will learn to fly straight to the branch once flushed. Just remember to leave one bird inside to call the others, and entice them to walk inside.