our first NAVHDA MEETING, any thoughts?

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

our first NAVHDA MEETING, any thoughts?

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:10 am

We have been invited to an obedience class/meeting with our chapter here in ontario for this sunday to give them a chance to meet and have a good look at our pup and to see what everyones been doin with their dog over the winter ect..!!..its being held about 3 hours from us and my husband wants to go and meet everyone and bring JERSEY to see what its all about..i cant go cause i have to pick up my daughter at the airport sunday but wish i could :( ..anyway has anyone went to this with their pup or dog and what should he expect from the meeting?....thanks..ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: our first NAVHDA MEETING, any thoughts?

Post by ultracarry » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:22 am

In case people bring their dogs I would leave your pup at home to avoid it getting sick.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:40 am

ultracarry wrote:In case people bring their dogs I would leave your pup at home to avoid it getting sick.
I think everyone is bringing their dogs..that was a concern i had as well she only had one set of shots so far and goes next week for her next set..thanks...ruth :D

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:38 am

I would wait till a couple weeks after her second shots. But otherwise, might as well go. It probably is just a meet and greet with a discussion of what to expect in the NAVHDA group and what the years events may be. Your pup does not need the obedience yet, IMO. NAVHDA is great for folks in many ways. Usually knowledgeable people leading the training clinics, plenty of socialization. Usually good access to birds and ducks. Very good organization. The other thing to remember is you don't have to test your dogs to belong. You just need to a member to take advantage of the organization. Although, I usually will test just because it does help give me focus on my training goals and I become more consistent in my efforts.

Usually good food too. :wink:
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:12 am

Well i just talked to a few other members that are attending and EVERYONE is bringing their dogs and lots of people are bringing their new pups as well..it seems that NAVHDA is very efficient on making sure all dogs have shots and they are up to date..they will be working with us on sit, stay, heel and proper collar use as well as whoa(on the whoa table) and force fetch/retrieve..SO i have made arrangements for my daughter to be picked up at the airport and going to go with hubby and bring the pup..i think it makes more sense to bring her since they will be showing all these techniques using our dogs..thanks for the info and anyone else who has been feel free to comment on what you experienced at the meeting!!....ruth

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:38 am

Lol wow. Let me know how the whoa lesson goes, the collar intro and the force retrieve lessons go with The new pup you have. remember most dogs do not have to be force broke to retrieve.
by getting sick it does include kennel caught and other communicable diseases. just though I would mention it before you post how sick your dog is. remember its list a small pup without all of its shots and not getting an immune boost from moms milk. I doubt they are checking shot records at the door or else they wouldn't let your dog in.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:50 am

I would not think a three hour drive would be conducive to a positive learning experience for a young pup. If you are going to take her, I think I would just let her explore and have a positive exposure to new people, dogs and things. And, seriously, I wouldn't dump my kid for a dog.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:14 am

Cajun Casey wrote:I would not think a three hour drive would be conducive to a positive learning experience for a young pup. If you are going to take her, I think I would just let her explore and have a positive exposure to new people, dogs and things. And, seriously, I wouldn't dump my kid for a dog.
OK now you have crossed the line CAJUN CASEY..suggest if you may on my dog especially since i posted for peoples info on this meeting... but DO NOT in any way EVER suggest i DUMPED my kid for a dog!!!!!!!!!!!..have some knowledge before talking!!!!!!. i dont need to explain anything to you cause who are you anyway, NOBODY!!! but since you made such a stupid comment i will address it..my daughter is like the rest of my children my world!!..she is on a trip with 14 kids from her highschool for graduation and her best friend is my neighbours daughter so i asked the neighbour to bring her home from the airport when she gets her daughter since I DROPPED THEM OFF to meet the rest of the class when they left cause her mom had to work (guess thats dumping her kid too) it was no problem for her to do that..geez how bout stayin off my posts and go rescue something.ruth :evil:

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:33 am

Lol are you taking your meds this morning??

Read what you typed and then read what he posted. Then think slowly and logically.. then delete your comment Ruth.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 am

ultracarry wrote:Lol are you taking your meds this morning??

Read what you typed and then read what he posted. Then think slowly and logically.. then delete your comment Ruth.
I read it..my husband read it..my oldest daughter read it..still says im dumping my kid for the dog..its NOT dumping my kid and no need for that to be stated!!! ..we all are seeing the same comment here and so are the people who pm'd me saying he was WAY out of line but dont want to get in the mix..maybe we all need meds then cause its not just me who doesnt appreciate it......ruth

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:50 am

gpblitz wrote:GUNDOGS, Mind if I ask how old your pup is?
Sure shes 11 weeks tomorrow.....ruth

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:05 pm

If your feelings were hurt so badly by a small comment like that, you would be upset enough to have your husband read it then your oldest daughter.. that tells me you might get your feelings hurt a lot on a public forum.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:07 pm

ultracarry wrote:If your feelings were hurt so badly by a small comment like that, you would be upset enough to have your husband read it then your oldest daughter.. that tells me you might get your feelings hurt a lot on a public forum.
Or at a NAVHDA training day......

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:10 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
ultracarry wrote:If your feelings were hurt so badly by a small comment like that, you would be upset enough to have your husband read it then your oldest daughter.. that tells me you might get your feelings hurt a lot on a public forum.
Now, when did I ever hurt your feelings........ :mrgreen:

CR64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:13 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:I would not think a three hour drive would be conducive to a positive learning experience for a young pup. If you are going to take her, I think I would just let her explore and have a positive exposure to new people, dogs and things. And, seriously, I wouldn't dump my kid for a dog.
OK now you have crossed the line CAJUN CASEY..suggest if you may on my dog especially since i posted for peoples info on this meeting... but DO NOT in any way EVER suggest i DUMPED my kid for a dog!!!!!!!!!!!..have some knowledge before talking!!!!!!. i dont need to explain anything to you cause who are you anyway, NOBODY!!! but since you made such a stupid comment i will address it..my daughter is like the rest of my children my world!!..she is on a trip with 14 kids from her highschool for graduation and her best friend is my neighbours daughter so i asked the neighbour to bring her home from the airport when she gets her daughter since I DROPPED THEM OFF to meet the rest of the class when they left cause her mom had to work (guess thats dumping her kid too) it was no problem for her to do that..geez how bout stayin off my posts and go rescue something.ruth :evil:

Come on get real...

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:20 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:

CR64
You? Never! You're adorable and have impeccable table manners. I just hate ducks.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:25 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
Coveyrise64 wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:

CR64
You? Never! You're adorable and have impeccable table manners. I just hate ducks.

You must have him confused with Bruce!

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:25 pm

Your pup is 11 weeks old- a baby. You can start working her on sit and down- simple stuff at home. There is not much you can do beyond that. Whoa and Force fetch are WAY down the road. The only obedience you should be doing at this point is fun stuff at home and in very short sessions and with lots of play. In addition to NAVHDA, joining a local obedience club would be a great idea but most don't enroll pups under 4 months old.

Best thing to do is leave her home, and you and/or hubby go to the meeting. Meet your NAVHDA chapter, watch the dogs work, etc. You'll have a great time and enough on your hands just learning what NAVHDA is all about.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:40 pm

i did not show them because my feelings were hurt..i showed them because you said read it again as if to say i mis understood the comment..i did not misunderstand anything and neither did the other people who read it!! ..my feelings dont get "hurt" just because i post an arguement back to something i dont appreciate!!..why do you assume im a little wuss or need meds or whatever if i post back to someone who offended me?..give me a break!!..every time i get into a debate back and forth with someone im a wuss or my fricken buns too tight or i need meds..what the heck is wrong with some of you..you wouldnt take lightly to some of the comments that are personal attacks either..should i start talking about your families and my opinions on your lack of parenting skills seeing as i know you so well :? ..BUT hey i can play the game too from now on if thats how its played!!!......ruth

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:50 pm

jlp8cornell wrote:Your pup is 11 weeks old- a baby. You can start working her on sit and down- simple stuff at home. There is not much you can do beyond that. Whoa and Force fetch are WAY down the road. The only obedience you should be doing at this point is fun stuff at home and in very short sessions and with lots of play. In addition to NAVHDA, joining a local obedience club would be a great idea but most don't enroll pups under 4 months old.

Best thing to do is leave her home, and you and/or hubby go to the meeting. Meet your NAVHDA chapter, watch the dogs work, etc. You'll have a great time and enough on your hands just learning what NAVHDA is all about.
From what i understand from the people running the event that day is there will be lots of different areas teaching different things and they are aware lots of young pups will be there including ours..they dont expect to be teaching our pup all those things that day, its just mainly to get her out to meet them, socialize with the other dogs and pups and in 5 weeks we take her there for her first training day on birds ect..ya i looked into the obedience and your right its 4 months which isnt to far away..thanks for the info....ruth

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:13 pm

I read this forum pretty much everyday but don't post much....it is my entertainment at work :D and I must say since GUNDOGS has joined it has got a lot more entertaining :lol:

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:17 pm

High Voltage wrote:I read this forum pretty much everyday but don't post much....it is my entertainment at work :D and I must say since GUNDOGS has joined it has got a lot more entertaining :lol:
Hey thanks :lol: i think so too ..i just wish all the folks that are sending me pm's telling me they agree with me would grow a set and post it instead of pm ing me :D .....ruth

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:21 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
Coveyrise64 wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote: Or at a NAVHDA training day......

CR64
Just curious since you only came to one training day. It's usually the third training day before I hurt anyone's feelings, thats after were still going over the three things introduced at the first training day. :x :x

In your case I thought I might have made an exception........... :mrgreen:
ACooper wrote:You must have him confused with Bruce!
Watch it pal. I take offense being compared to Bruce, good or bad......... :mrgreen:

CR64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Drahtsundbraats

Post by Drahtsundbraats » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:25 pm

All first time NAVHDA members must be aware of a decade long tradition....you are required to by a beer for every gray haired chapter member that you meet....as a tribute to those that have come before you...don't forget to tip the waitress/bar maid too!! :lol: :lol:

djloder

Post by djloder » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:27 pm

Bring your dog and have fun, it's what it's all about!
Derek Lodermeier
TR GUN Derrick de L'Etoile du Nord NA-PZ1TAN http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2204

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:28 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:
Just curious since you only came to one training day. It's usually the third training day before I hurt anyone's feelings, thats after were still going over the three things introduced at the first training day. :x :x

In your case I thought I might have made an exception........... :mrgreen:
ACooper wrote:You must have him confused with Bruce!
Watch it pal. I take offense being compared to Bruce, good or bad......... :mrgreen:

CR64
Never again. I made it away from there to the first gas station before, well, let's leave it at I cannot stand the smell of ducks. Retriever events I can handle because they keep them far away and there are few live ones.

I have a puppy owner that is in Stillwater and I told him to get with your bunch out that way. Maybe he likes the smell of ducks.

I don't know Bruce. I know who you're talking about, but can't comment on his table manners or adorability. :D

volraider

Post by volraider » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:33 pm

Howie,
These people that call you wuss, just might be fluff nuts!!!

That's good!!!!

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:34 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:
High Voltage wrote:I read this forum pretty much everyday but don't post much....it is my entertainment at work :D and I must say since GUNDOGS has joined it has got a lot more entertaining :lol:
Hey thanks :lol: i think so too ..i just wish all the folks that are sending me pm's telling me they agree with me would grow a set and post it instead of pm ing me :D .....ruth
Hmmm, wasn't meaning that I agree with you.........maybe a couple of times. You remind me of a couple of gals that started posting on another board a bunch of us use to be on. They started saying how we should be toward each other and one even complain about a hunting pic that was posted :roll: now all the really knowledgeable folks are gone from that board.....
And now back to the original topic :mrgreen:

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:42 pm

gpblitz wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote:its just mainly to get her out to meet them, socialize with the other dogs and pups
I agree. When I get a new pup they go with me most every where. There intruduced to gun fire very early from a distance. There are some that I'm able to shoot a few birds over there points as long as the pup holds point and lets me flush. Enjoy your training day. These people that call you wuss, just might be fluff nuts!!! :lol:
For sure, our dogs go with us everywhere too..we will enjoy our training day thanks :D ..and fluff nuts is an understatement :wink: ....ruth

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:50 pm

High Voltage wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote:
Hmmm, wasn't meaning that I agree with you.........maybe a couple of times. You remind me of a couple of gals that started posting on another board a bunch of us use to be on. They started saying how we should be toward each other and one even complain about a hunting pic that was posted :roll: now all the really knowledgeable folks are gone from that board.....
dont care if you agree with me :D i never said you did...im just glad to entertain you at work!!!and the knowledgeable people dont need to post rude comments on peoples posts asking for info, cause they have knowledge to share :mrgreen: ......ruth
Last edited by GUNDOGS on Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:56 pm

High Voltage wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote:
So, it's a girl thing? :mrgreen:

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:58 pm

djloder wrote:Bring your dog and have fun, it's what it's all about!

Thanks, will do!! :D ...ruth

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Hey thanks :lol: i think so too ..i just wish all the folks that are sending me pm's telling me they agree with me would grow a set and post it instead of pm ing me :D .....ruth[/quote]
And now back to the original topic :mrgreen:[/quote]

So, it's a girl thing? :mrgreen:[/quote]
LOL, no not a "girl" thing.....I can think of some boys on here that would fit :D I think there are a lot of women on this board, they just don't make an issue that they are female.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:22 pm

Hey thanks :lol: i think so too ..i just wish all the folks that are sending me pm's telling me they agree with me would grow a set and post it instead of pm ing me :D .....ruth[/quote]
And now back to the original topic :mrgreen:[/quote]
dont care if you agree with me :D i never said you did...im just glad to entertain you at work!!!and the knowledgeable people dont need to post rude comments on peoples posts asking for info, cause they have knowledge to share :mrgreen: ......ruth[/quote]

The knowledgeable people didn't leave comments that I thought were rude but others might of :wink: They left because they got tired of of all the BS of someone trying to run the show so to speak.

Take your pup, have fun, NAVHDA is a great place to meet good people.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:47 pm

Thanks highvoltage but weve decided not to go after all......just kidding :P !!! .....ruth