whoa bench and whoa barrel,whoa post how to build them?

sjkennels

whoa bench and whoa barrel,whoa post how to build them?

Post by sjkennels » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:28 am

i have been doing a little research and cant find anything on how to build a whoa bench,whoa barrel,whoa post anyone have any pictures and/or directions on how to build them? i have tried to build a whoa barrel and have been told that they have seen better scaffolding in Jamaica so go easy with the difficulty of them please :lol:
kick'em up knock'em down

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: whoa bench and whoa barrel,whoa post how to build them?

Post by topher40 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:33 am

Use the tailgate of your pickup, it works fine. Then you dont have to worry about building anything and can take it with you wherever you go.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:35 am

Just get a barrel rack. Table can be a 1x12 c-clamped to two sawhorses. Pickup tailgates and cable spools work, too.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:46 am

The bench is more important about an area which fits YOU working on a dog if it is to high your arms are to high up to low and it makes you bend over to much

The whoa post if you are going to use A method like the Rick Smith method a heavy duty stake about 18=24 inches long pounded into the ground at least half way ..then you want to good check cords...again if you want to do the Rick Smith method then you need to follow their steps of conditions Points of Contact as that is what the post is for teaching a point of contact which means stand still not in the real sense teaching whoa, as you learn there is a BIG Difference

A barrel get a barrel lay it on the side get a couple wood boards to prevent the barrel from rolling away have one side where you can move board so you can bump the barrel to get dog to stand by balancing better

Key point when starting out Pick A Method and when you figure out that method and begin to read the dogs as to when they are learning and buying in to the method so to speak don't mix and match as it will only confuse you and worse will make the dog more confused at the inconstancy. Once you have something down then you will see where something from a different method may help get the lines of communication open between you and the dog you are working with
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:32 pm

i am going to try the ferrel miller common sense bird dog training dvd and it says that it uses all three. i got my whoa barrel done a little while ago not the best in the world but the total cost of everything was 4.50 and thats what the barrel cost me i had all the extra wood nails.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kick'em up knock'em down

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:27 pm

Did you double check that the dog's rear feet are on the ground if he goes off?

volraider

Post by volraider » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:35 pm

Just skip a few steps and teach it on the ground. Why teach it on a board, barrell, and post then have to do it all over again on the ground. Another thing just teach it on the ground in the bird fields but not on birds, that will cut out a few more steps. :lol:

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:31 pm

SJ, FM's video is a good one , but i don't think he necessarily meant you had to use all three.....

He mentions you can use the barrel as another tool. That said there is nothing wrong with going from the board to the barrel. The Whoa post is the part where the force is applied and as you know is done on the ground.

FM's video is more a guideline than a strict method.....I kinda wish he had of been more regimented in the way he showed the methods but its a good guide on how you can make a good dog.

VolR- I take it you don't have 1000 field trial placements yet :lol: There's more than one road to China. Not a thing wrong with having more than one tool/technique in the tool bag.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:29 pm

i whoa broke my short hair using the ps/pf method that uses only a cc and choke chain. i will need the barrel for training to steady to wing and shot no matter what. and yea i checked and made sure she can touch the ground with out killing herself.
kick'em up knock'em down

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:38 pm

sjkennels wrote:i whoa broke my short hair using the ps/pf method that uses only a cc and choke chain. i will need the barrel for training to steady to wing and shot no matter what. and yea i checked and made sure she can touch the ground with out killing herself.
The picture wouldn't enlarge for me, so I couldn't see how long the tie up was. We don't hook them up on barrels, but do on the breaking table. Casey is long and tall enough, he can just bail off and stand there looking like he's going to order a drink or something.

Can you do a side view next time you have her up?

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:30 pm

i can put one up now
kick'em up knock'em down

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:35 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
sjkennels wrote:i whoa broke my short hair using the ps/pf method that uses only a cc and choke chain. i will need the barrel for training to steady to wing and shot no matter what. and yea i checked and made sure she can touch the ground with out killing herself.
The picture wouldn't enlarge for me, so I couldn't see how long the tie up was. We don't hook them up on barrels, but do on the breaking table. Casey is long and tall enough, he can just bail off and stand there looking like he's going to order a drink or something.

Can you do a side view next time you have her up?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sjkennels on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kick'em up knock'em down

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:36 pm

sjkennels wrote:i can put one up now
Okay. I'm more interested in the posture than the set up. I like to see how dogs use their muscles.

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:40 pm

ahh ok next time i have her up and working with her i will take another pic i just threw her up there to make sure it wouldn't fall apart or something stupid would happen to it. i will have one up friday or saturday for ya
kick'em up knock'em down

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:44 pm

Cool. Are you going to forcebreak the dog? If so, are you going to a table for that?

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:42 pm

yea i am going to FF her after i get her broke. i am planning on getting her a MH title and she is the only gsp that i have ever seen that doesn't retrieve naturally
kick'em up knock'em down

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:00 am

Slick bred?

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:03 am

nope gun dog bred i have no idea who is in her pedigree never sent in her papers. i know her dam was a sh. but everybody that i have hunted with her has always commented on her.
kick'em up knock'em down

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:16 am

sjkennels wrote:yea i am going to FF her after i get her broke. i am planning on getting her a MH title and she is the only gsp that i have ever seen that doesn't retrieve naturally
I have a Shooting Starr GSP that has zero natural retrieve. I had to FF him. He is a really good dog, but just wouldn't retrieve until FF.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:49 pm

Here is a pic of mine that I built a couple years ago.

Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:41 pm

do you have any front and back pictures? if you do i would like to see them that looks alot better then mine
kick'em up knock'em down

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:50 pm

I've used Jon and Cindy's method from PF/PF on 3 of our dogs and before I met them, I used the whoa post method. All four dogs are broke so I've decided to go with their method from now on as it is much more positive for the dog (IMO). I do use a table for the FF when needed (my Vizsla did not need FF, but the pointers and chessie benefited from it).

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:02 pm

sjkennels wrote:do you have any front and back pictures? if you do i would like to see them that looks alot better then mine
If can email some pics and measurements to you if you'd like. If so, PM me.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

steamer

Post by steamer » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:11 pm

can someone explain what you do with the bench barrel and post what are you teaching and that type of stuff would be great thanks for the info

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:34 pm

The bench (narrow board) and barrel begin to teach the dog to stand (whoa) and allow the trainer to work comfortably and have the dog get used to being styled and have hands laid on him while he's standing. The post is where the the whoa command is forced.

SJ , this is just my opinion personally, but i would rather have the dog be able to hang himself if he jumps from the barrel or the board.....the discomfort of having tried to escape what is being taught will stick in the dogs mind more (IMO) than if he can jump off and just stand there on the ground. It allows the bad experience to teach him rather than the trainer.

Reminds me of the other day (case and point) , I was riding my pup thru the local wildlife refuge, in the truck. She got a little crazy when some geese and ducks flushed close to the edge of the road. She jammed her head out the window in a rambunctious manner (i had been trying to get her to stop this previous). When she got her head and one paw out the window the other paw stepped on the window up button choking her (slightly) with the window. I said nothing, let her squirm a few seconds then pulled her paw off the button so i could hit the down button on my side. Now she sits on the seat and looks out the window and has 0 interest in jamming her head out the slightly open window. All taught by herself without any negative association with me. Same concept as letting the dog hang themselves a bit before being placed back on the board or barrel.

I believe Delmar also has a couple pictures of this in his book by Bill Tarrent, the dog trying to escape the FF table.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:50 pm

Sounds logical to me. :D

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:31 am

steamer wrote:can someone explain what you do with the bench barrel and post what are you teaching and that type of stuff would be great thanks for the info
barrel will help with teaching the dog whoa and to be steady to wing and shot and stand walking birds.
kick'em up knock'em down

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:40 am

birddog1968 wrote:The bench (narrow board) and barrel begin to teach the dog to stand (whoa) and allow the trainer to work comfortably and have the dog get used to being styled and have hands laid on him while he's standing. The post is where the the whoa command is forced.

SJ , this is just my opinion personally, but i would rather have the dog be able to hang himself if he jumps from the barrel or the board.....the discomfort of having tried to escape what is being taught will stick in the dogs mind more (IMO) than if he can jump off and just stand there on the ground. It allows the bad experience to teach him rather than the trainer.

Reminds me of the other day (case and point) , I was riding my pup thru the local wildlife refuge, in the truck. She got a little crazy when some geese and ducks flushed close to the edge of the road. She jammed her head out the window in a rambunctious manner (i had been trying to get her to stop this previous). When she got her head and one paw out the window the other paw stepped on the window up button choking her (slightly) with the window. I said nothing, let her squirm a few seconds then pulled her paw off the button so i could hit the down button on my side. Now she sits on the seat and looks out the window and has 0 interest in jamming her head out the slightly open window. All taught by herself without any negative association with me. Same concept as letting the dog hang themselves a bit before being placed back on the board or barrel.

I believe Delmar also has a couple pictures of this in his book by Bill Tarrent, the dog trying to escape the FF table.
thanks for your advice 68 you made a good point. my gsp has only been on the barrel once and wont move or try and get down when i say whoa so i am just going to use it for steady to wing and shot and standing walking birds when i get my pigeons in a couple of weeks.
kick'em up knock'em down