aggressive eater only with dogs

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

aggressive eater only with dogs

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:09 pm

So we have our first issue that i would like some ideas on...our GSP Jersey is about 3 months old now..we for the first time fed the dogs together today(usually they were on different feeding times) and Jersey growled and went after our other dog..i was so surprised cause WE can touch her food when she eats NO PROBLEM at all..my 3 year old can feed her from her hand treats ect and NO ISSUES at all..but after this incident today i wanted to see how bad the issue is and i gave her a biscuit and our other dog went to sniff it and she went nuts..how should i nip this in the bud..my poor 1 yr old dog is SO submissive and would NEVER bite her back, he just lets her do what she wants thank goodness cause hes almost 80 pounds and shes 15 pounds..thanks in advance for the INFO and HELP.....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: aggressive eater only with dogs

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:09 pm

Look up NILIF, nothing in life is free. It will help you with "resource guarding."

Nip it in the bud right away before it becomes habit. For now, until you implement NILIF, do not have any food or treats around the dog when others are around her.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:18 pm

Ruth, it sounds pretty normal to me. Puppies are very possessive, especially with food and she probably senses that the other dog is passive. Are you trying to feed them out of the same dish? If so, I would have separate dishes in separate places during feeding times. Also, when giving treats, I would make sure they each have their own. Now if she goes after the other dog when she has her own, that is another story and you would need to step in and nip it.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:43 pm

Ruth..deal with this now while it is easy.

My old dog eats first, gets a treat first etc. If Max challenges her, I step in and let him know who is boss. If he goes after her, which has happened 2 times in two years, he gets hung up by his collar and yelled at. Not a happy boy so we do not have this discussion often.

My 2 cents but the old guys have priority. It's very easy to set the rules now, while they are young.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:07 pm

They have seperate dishes and even a few feet apart..what happened in this incident is when our older dog was finished eating he walked over to her just sniffing her while she ate and she growled and turned around like the tazmanian devil !! They never had eaten at the same time since we got her and it just so happened we fed them at the same time today..i dont want to feed them together again because i dont want the older dog(tyson) to be biten, hes so calm and submissive i felt bad for him cause he didnt know what was going on!!..how can i get her use to eating with another dog in the room without her thinkin her food is going to get taken without putting tyson in the line of fire?..shes just starting this for some reason, this evening she was chewing her kong and he walked by and she starting to growl while she chewed yet any one of my kids can put their fingers near her and even pet her while she eats her kong or food and she could care less..should i just not give her anything and give him treats or would that make her more jealous of him and resentful?..or should i just tell her NO when she does it and still let him go near her to see hes no threat?..thanks again for the help....ruth

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:10 pm

RoostersMom wrote:Look up NILIF, nothing in life is free. It will help you with "resource guarding."

Nip it in the bud right away before it becomes habit. For now, until you implement NILIF, do not have any food or treats around the dog when others are around her.
I will look this up first thing in the morning..thanks so much...ruth

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:56 pm

You get her used to eating with another dog by feeding her with another dog. She can't just read how to act, she has to experience it. And the cure is to simply correct her when she is wrong. Just make sure you are severe enough so that she knows you are boss and she will act like you want her too. Just takes a couple of times normally if you tell her in a way she understands, such as lifting her off the ground by the collar or rolling her on her back and holding her till she gives up. But you have to set her up to fail again so you can correct it. I'll justbet your other dog survives.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:11 am

Having some progress...when she growls i pull her back from her food by her collar and tell her NO!!..then put her back to her dish and say OK..its only taken a few times and she already is stopping this behaviour.....ruth

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:36 am

I do you could do it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.