Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy

ckirsch

Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy

Post by ckirsch » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:53 am

I have a young pointer with an enlarged prostate, which one of the vets I've consulted deems responsible for the dog occasionally leaking what he suspects to be prostatic fluid. He recommends neutering the dog, which I am reluctant to do, given that his field manners and NAVHDA testing have been reasonably impressive, and I would like to breed him a time or two in hopes of getting another pup as nice as he is. I just read the Strideaway post here, which recommends that anyone considering breeding a male should first have him checked for benign prostatic hypertrophy (which I understand to be the term for an enlarged prostate.) For the breeders here, should the enlarged prostate disqualify this dog from being used for breeding? If that is the case, I might as well have him cut, if it will indeed rectify the problem and reduce the potential for additional prostate/testicular issues in the future.

Hoping for some perspectives from those more experienced in this area than I am.....

jlp8cornell

Re: Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:45 pm

Here is a good synopsis from the Merck manual. There is a short section that addresses dogs used for breeding.

Benign prostatic hyperplasia is the most common prostatic disorder and is found in most intact male dogs >6 yr old. It is a result of androgenic stimulation or altered androgen/estrogen ratio, but why some males are affected and others are not is unknown. In some dogs, hyperplasia may begin as early as 2.5 yr of age and, after 4 yr of age, cystic hyperplasia tends to develop. There may be no clinical signs, or tenesmus, persistent or intermittent hematuria, and bleeding may occur. The diagnosis is suggested by physical and historical findings and by a nonpainful, symmetrically enlarged prostate. Radiology can confirm prostatomegaly. Ultrasonography should show diffuse, relatively symmetric involvement with multiple, diffuse, cystic structures. Cytologic examination of massage or ejaculate specimens reveals hemorrhage with mild inflammation without evidence of sepsis or neoplasia. Definitive diagnosis is only possible by biopsy. Castration is the treatment of choice; prostatic involution is usually evident within a few weeks and is often complete in several months.

For males intended for use in breeding, medical therapy may be feasible. Estrogens have been used to reduce prostatic hyperplasia but cannot be recommended because of potential side effects. Whenever estrogenic stimulation is present (eg, exogenous administration or endogenous production by Sertoli cell tumor), squamous metaplasia of the prostate can develop. Squamous metaplasia can cause prostatic enlargement and worsen the clinical signs. It may also enhance the risk of cystic changes and infection within the prostate. In addition, estrogens can cause negative feedback to the hypothalamus and pituitary (thereby diminishing spermatogenesis) and are potentially toxic to the bone marrow with resultant anemia, thrombocytopenia, and leukopenia. Medroxyprogesterone acetate has been used to treat prostatic hypertrophy in dogs, but testosterone concentration decreased, testicular degeneration occurred, and only 53% of dogs had a detectable decrease in prostatic size.

Perhaps the most effective medical agent for treatment of benign prostatic hypertrophy in dogs is finasteride, which blocks the action of 5 α-testosterone reductase, an enzyme that converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone. Dihydrotestosterone is considered to be the key hormone for promoting prostatic hypertrophy in both humans and dogs. Giving 1 mg/kg of finasteride, PO, sid for 16-21 wk, to laboratory beagles resulted in a 50-70% reduction in prostatic hypertrophy with no negative effect on semen quality. Lower doses of finasteride (0.1 mg/kg, PO, sid for 16 wk) reduced hypertrophied prostate volume by 43%, resolved clinical signs, reduced dihydrotestosterone concentration by 58%, maintained normal testosterone levels, and had no deleterious effect on semen quality, fertility, or libido in a group of 9 dogs with prostatic hypertrophy. However, prostatic hypertrophy returns if finasteride administration is discontinued. The low dose (0.1-0.5 mg/kg) of finasteride correlates to convenient dosing of one 5-mg capsule of finasteride sid, for dogs weighing 10-50 kg.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:13 pm

how old is this dog?? it is very common for intact dogs to have a small amount of yellow to white fluid discharge from the prepuce. is he showing any other signs asociated with an enlarged prostate?? did the vet do a digital rectal exam??

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:58 pm

Dog just turned three. Discharge is completely clear and odorless with the consistency of water. Does not appear to be urine. (The dog's urine has been tested and nothing showed up.) Once every week or so, he'll leave a five-inch diameter wet spot on the dog bed that evaporates in an hour or so, leaving no stain or residue. Vet did perform a digital exam. The discharge is so random that collecting a sample will be a challenge.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:44 pm

so no straining or difficulty defecating or ribbon shaped stools? if he isnt having any other issues, sounds like a normal intact male to me.

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:58 pm

No visible straining at any time. Stools are purple-ribbon quality. I've owned a string of intact males, but have never experienced the leaking, and would love to get that stopped. I was also concerned after reading the Strideaway article that perhaps the dog's prostate situation was something that he could pass on to pups, so that I should not use him for breeding.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:21 am

the way i understand BPH, it can occur with any intact male and is simply an effect of testosterone on the prostate. wether there is a hereditary aspect to it, i dont know.

plus, i was always under the impresion that the prostate fluid was what gave the ejaculate its white color, and that any fluid that leaked would appear as the whitish discharge you often see at the end of the prepuce in male dogs.
Last edited by dog dr on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:55 am

Oh, dogs have wet dreams also, huh? :D
big steve

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:37 am

Steve;

This probably isn't an appropriate forum for you to air personal issues. Might I suggest that you consult your personal physician, or perhaps a qualified psychiatrist.

Jip8 and dog dr, thanks for the help.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:55 pm

ckirsch wrote:Steve;

This probably isn't an appropriate forum for you to air personal issues. Might I suggest that you consult your personal physician, or perhaps a qualified psychiatrist.

Jip8 and dog dr, thanks for the help.

:lol: :lol: Your guidance means a lot to me.
big steve

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:07 pm

big steve46 wrote::lol: :lol: Your guidance means a lot to me.
It's obvious that you need all the help you can get. Good luck with your problem.