When to check fo Hip Dysplasia?

uplandrsb

When to check fo Hip Dysplasia?

Post by uplandrsb » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:15 am

If there is a certain age to get the dog checked for Hip Dysplasia?? If so what age is that, or what age not to do it prior too? Also, can just any VET give the certification from an X Ray or what is the proper procedure to get the OFA cert?

Also what is optimal and what is bad when looking into the PINNHip as far as the numbers go..

Thanks for the help..

jlp8cornell

Re: When to check fo Hip Dysplasia?

Post by jlp8cornell » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:41 am

A dog has to be 2 yrs old before you can submit hip films to OFA. Although any vet can do your radiographs, you should find someone experienced in this area as positioning the dog correctly is important. OFA grades the hips, not your Vet.

Once you have the films done, you send them to OFA along with a form (Vet fills in part of this) that can be downloaded here:
http://www.offa.org/applications.html

The process takes about 3-6 weeks once you send them off.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:07 am

After doing a series of hip xrays on some young pups My Vet and I came to the conclusion that anything before about 7 months of age is a waste of time and $$$ for life time evaluation..there is just to much growth and changes.

As for having a vet certify..Spend the extra and do it right and get that cert from OFA what that will do is add you dog to the database
http://www.offa.org so should you breed someone can go the the OFA website and get a fuller picture of the dogs that are done in their pups history

PENN Hip...Personally I do not find the cost and lack of full info to be worth it plus your Percentile can and will change as more dogs are done this is stated on the PENN hip cert

Plus neither one can or will ever be able to state pups from said breedings will be HD free. That is in the genetics when the two allelles line up HD gene is there in all dogs mutts to pure breeds ..some lines in the breeds have a higher rate of HD. We are not Gods but at least we can make sure that those dogs we elect to breed are HD free.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

uplandrsb

Post by uplandrsb » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:02 pm

Thanks for all the response.. i will just have mine OFA certified and forget about the PINN hip.. Sounds like the OFA is really all that is needed.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:37 pm

If you are doing this preliminary to breeding, then the GSP is a CHIC breed and there are other tests, such as cardio, eyes and thyroid, that are recommended.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:34 am

"your Percentile can and will change as more dogs are done this is stated on the PENN hip cert " Knine quote.

The percentile is not the information that is important. The only thing that the percentile is good for is to know that you are better or worse than the other dogs tested. The measurements (Index numbers) are what is important for all dogs regardless of breed.
http://www.pennhip.org/resch_sum.html
Pen HIP is expensive.

If you are not breeding and the breeder is requesting or paying for hip testing and your dog is not having problems then there is no need to do the testing of either kind IMHO.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:02 am

http://research.vet.upenn.edu/pennhip/O ... fault.aspx

Again ..PENN hip is expensive and I do not find it to be better or worse then OFA Neither one can state that pups from parents that have passing or ___percentile hips will be HD free

OFA at least one can see albeit a small window at least there is something where people can see other dogs that are directly related and have an influence on Their dog

Thus making OFA a more cost effective tool

and also if everyone were to do OFA even if they have no plans on breeding it would give a bigger picture ...But that isn't going to happen so we have to take what we can and do the best we can

Plus a dog that is OFA mild though not a candidate for breeding most likely will never ever show any clinical signs that they have less then perfect hips even moderate hips most dogs will go well into their 7 plus year range before showing any real signs like the slow to get going state
then yes severely deformed hips may cause a dog not to move right at a young age...which some vets are quick to say oh hip replacement ..quite a few of these dog can go till 5 or so before needing medical intervention..and FHO from personal observation has a dog moving more natural then artificial hips do.. every dog I have seen with artificial hips and I have seen quite a few over the years seriously move and run unnatural fatiguing those dogs sooner then those dogs that had FHO's done..again just a personal observation of more then 12dz dogs over the years (I see many dogs as I live and work on a pheasant preserve)
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:03 am

Not arguing the cost. Just pointing out the error. By the way Penn Hip as one of their views includes the OFA view and assessment. They just go further. And give real mathematical data.

Have friend that used to be a breeder of Shorthairs, He used the Penn Hip as they suggest and he saw the hip scores of his dog get tighter over just a few generations of breedings and became more consistent. A mathematical number has less room for interpretation. Which if used as suggested can minimize the occurrence of displaysia more quickly. Not saying that it can't creep in on occasion we all know nothing is perfect and stuff happens, Genetically.

You are also right that if everyone were to test in either OFA or PENN things would get better across the board if the breeders don't breed fair dogs or dogs with an index number above recommended By Penn.
Again the Percentile means nothing other than a comparison to other dogs in your breed. Thats it.

This discussion constantly and consistently goes in circles.

Have a great weekend.
Rick

Rick

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:06 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:Not arguing the cost. Just pointing out the error. By the way Penn Hip as one of their views includes the OFA view and assessment. They just go further. And give real mathematical data.

Have friend that used to be a breeder of Shorthairs, He used the Penn Hip as they suggest and he saw the hip scores of his dog get tighter over just a few generations of breedings and became more consistent. A mathematical number has less room for interpretation. Which if used as suggested can minimize the occurrence of displaysia more quickly. Not saying that it can't creep in on occasion we all know nothing is perfect and stuff happens, Genetically.

You are also right that if everyone were to test in either OFA or PENN things would get better across the board if the breeders don't breed fair dogs or dogs with an index number above recommended By Penn.
Again the Percentile means nothing other than a comparison to other dogs in your breed. Thats it.

This discussion constantly and consistently goes in circles.

Have a great weekend.
Rick
You got it right. When I see someone worried about the percentiles it just says they don't understand what the whole procedure is about. I use OFA but have to admit that Penn Hip give a more complete exam and evaluation. It is just more expensive and not as convenient to access. One or the other should be a requirement before breeding but other than that I would not worry about it. Testing does not keep a dog from having problems if the hips are bad and if the dog does have problems they will x-ray the hips to see if that is the cause whether the dog has been x-rayed before or not.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

axdoxa

Post by axdoxa » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:05 pm

Probably few topics generate as much enthusiastic discussion as hip dysplasia. I can without reservation recommend a PennHip evaluation for your dog. From my standpoint the obvious advantages are, ability to assess dogs at an early age (4mo), reproducible results, confirmed ability to improve hip genetics if PennHip data is used. What are may qualifications to say this? Have been involved breeding and training GSP for 45 years, 30 years as a NAVHDA judge, Board certified Veterinary Surgeon. There you have it and no charge for the consult fee!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:37 am

I had Pen Hip, tested one of my french Brits at 9 months, the numbers were .35 in each side.
At around three or four years old, out of curiosity and potentially wanting to stud him out, I had it done again. Left side
was .35, left was .37. Pretty acceptable variance I thought.
Rick

Rick