What Do You Feed?

KelseyCooke

What Do You Feed?

Post by KelseyCooke » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:51 pm

I was just wondering what everybody fed their dogs?

Liberty eats Addiction (Viva La Venison) right now; but she will be switching to raw soon. :D
Wit is a sword; people are meant to feel the point as well as see it.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: What Do You Feed?

Post by mcbosco » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:07 pm

I use a PA-based food called Annamaet Ultra. I also use a raw tripe/trachea/beef mix.

Addiction is a very pricey food. $65 for 20lbs of dry food :roll:

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:12 pm

Wow and yet another food post :roll:

I feed my dogs a very good quality dog food that I don't spend mega dollars for and they do GREAT on it

Oh and it is called

Loyall Performance
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Gee, a new person who is thirteen and just starting in the field aspect of dog sports wants to ask about dog food and is treated as if it's not a respectable question. Nice welcome.

I feed ProPlan Performance to the good dogs and the rest of the pack gets Diamond Premium. Other than better coats on most of the PPP dogs, I don't see much difference and they swipe enough of the Diamond that it isn't a fair assessment. My dogs with my trainer eat whatever he is currently buying by the ton. Last time I asked, it was SportMix, but I don't know which formula. Probably the 22/16 Hunter's Select because I remember the ingredients were laughable compared to what most people consider quality. Kind of equates to feeding the mutts cheap corndogs! They've done better on it than their siblings have on ProPlan. Go figure.

I'm not a fan of raw at all because most people have a hard time being complete and consistent with a raw feeding program. I think it's better to feed partial raw so as not to jolt the dog's system or risk salmonella handling food on away trips. I'm in the dog food biz, and I'd say 90% of raw feeders quit within two years. Of course, my idea of feeding raw would be to chunk a beef quarter into the yard pen on an every other daily basis. :mrgreen:

Some of the musher foods are starting to get good reviews for high energy demand performance dogs. I'd suggest subscribing to Whole Dog Journal for a good synopsis of the top tier market brands.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:08 pm

Cajun Sorry but under health and nutrition there is 16 posts directly related to feed on page one which 6 are 2 or more pages :wink:

and I like how we start with a high dollar food headed towards raw.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:23 pm

kninebirddog wrote:Cajun Sorry but under health and nutrition there is 16 posts directly related to feed on page one which 6 are 2 or more pages :wink:

and I like how we start with a high dollar food headed towards raw.
People on the East Coast are willing to spend more on pet food, just the way it is. The irony is that the cheaper brands are special order and the high dollar foods fill the shelves. My local place carries a dozen complete raw brands and probably half dozen dehydrated formulas that you mix with water like Cup O Soup.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:36 pm

In the past we fed Joy until it got so bad it wasn't worth feeding then we changed to Kasco until they went under, since then we have fed Diamond and Black Gold. Dogs always seemed to do just fine on all of them. We have several old dogs and they didn't seem to be doing well on the Black Gold. So we tried Pro Plan Performance... I am sold on it now, coats and energy level both improved greatly. I never believed there was a enough difference to justify the higher cost from what I have seen I was very wrong.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:42 pm

Kelsey,

We've tried several commercial dry foods and settled on "National" brand food. It's a medium-grade food, not the best, but not the worst either. My sister feeds a raw diet as her GSP pup has severe allergies and gets sick on any dry food they've tried. Poor little guy! If you feed raw, just do your research. There is a good raw foods group on yahoo. I think raw is awesome and if I didn't have 11 dogs and work a ton (gone a lot) I would invest in feeding raw. As is, we're shooting a deer or two for my sis this year to supplement her mostly chicken-based raw diet for the pup.

You do what is right for your dog... just because some dogs make it "just fine" on Old Roy, doesn't mean it's a good diet - most dogs won't die on any commercial food. But they can certainly be more apt to have physical signs of poor nutrition - or maybe it doesn't show until they're older and they die younger than they would have if fed a good diet. So do your own research and then pay attention to how your dog performs.

Have a great day!

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:46 pm

Find something that is easily available in your area, is affordable to you and that your dog does well on. There are many dog foods that fit this desription for most people.
Which forumla of National are you feeding?

KelseyCooke

Post by KelseyCooke » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:58 pm

I've been doing research for a while, and with the preperation timing and stuff, it seems as if partial raw would be better (just because it's hard walking her three miles in the morning as it is with just dry food).

I like Addiction, and yeah, it's more then that where we get her food from (about 80 for a 20 pound bag, eek).
She likes it, but I don't know if it's exactly the best choice for her.

Yeah, I've heard of raw people quitting soon enough, and it's a shame. A lot of people who feed raw don't feed it right (one of my friends feeds her raw with kibble, which Ive heard is extremely bad for dogs D: )

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:12 pm

Dang could you adopt me I could eat steak everyday cheaper then that.Oh by the way I have a Bridge in the Desert I'd like to sell!! :P

KelseyCooke

Post by KelseyCooke » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:17 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Dang could you adopt me I could eat steak everyday cheaper then that.Oh by the way I have a Bridge in the Desert I'd like to sell!! :P
Do your dogs come to?
Hahah.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:23 pm

I have 9 but I'm not sure they could handle that HIGH TEST dog food.See the little dog to the right she runs more that 3 miles in a few minutes & all she eats is about 3 to 4 cups of PPP a day. :D

KelseyCooke

Post by KelseyCooke » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:25 pm

Holy crap :O
Liberty eats about...half that a day.
But with Addiction you're supposed to feed them like nothing.
I feed her more then what the nutritionist said, just because she looked like she was starving.
And she's fine, not gaining weight or anything.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:29 pm

She gets PPP when she's trialing with her handler but when shes home she gets Sportmix 24/20 & does fine but don't get worked like trialing.That's $24.99 a 50 lb bag what all my dogs eat & do fine 2 to 4 cups a day depending on the dog.You must have one HIGH Power F Brit with high Metabolism.

KelseyCooke

Post by KelseyCooke » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:34 pm

Yeah, it's a pain when we're at agility training.
All the people with the Border Collies stop every ten minutes, and she's just sitting there, rearing to go some more. They think she's on a sports drink (which I actually saw at Cabela's today...O.O).

She just likes to keep going though, haven't figured out if that's a good..or bad thing yet.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:12 pm

Here's a dog started on waynes puppy o's and ate big red all her life.

Mucho Geese , ducks and Ice laden water.
She almost made it to 17. :lol:

The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:25 am

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:She gets PPP when she's trialing with her handler but when shes home she gets Sportmix 24/20 & does fine but don't get worked like trialing.That's $24.99 a 50 lb bag what all my dogs eat & do fine 2 to 4 cups a day depending on the dog.You must have one HIGH Power F Brit with high Metabolism.
I feed the sportmix 24/20 formula year around. It does a great job. I have fed it for several years, 22.00 dollars for 55 pounds

Mo

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:08 am

I agree with Maurice, can't beat the Sportmix black bag..
brenda

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:00 am

One of my dogs was on Royal Canine Duck and Potato and it recommended 2 cups a day for him at 70 pounds and very active, this was a food you can only buy at the vet and it was 100 bucks for 30 pounds but VERY high calories, fat and proteins..he had the runs so bad from it, was starving from such a little amount and because of his allergies i couldnt feed supplements or treats to help fill him up..so expensive doesnt always mean it will be good for your dog, each dog is different and you have to judge them individually.. i took him off of it and hes been on Blue Buffalo since doing very well at 65 bucks for a 30 pound bag and no red paws or hairloss yay and he eats 4 cups a day so im not saving money because hes eating double what he would have on the other food im just going on what food he can live on and be healthy..i would have paid 200 bucks a bag if it meant him improving but his physical signs tell me what he needs..now for my other dogs including my gsp pup we use proplan..we are now putting them all (except my allergy guy) on the ALL LIFE STAGE proplan cause i always have dogs different ages(rescues) and it just is more economical especially since theres so many coupons online for proplan..the dogs are doing great on pp and really eat it up..i got the idea from another thread about the ALL LIFE STAGE and i will let you know in a few months how the dogs do.....ruth :D
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

smokinsam

Post by smokinsam » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:16 pm

kirkland chicken and rice from costco's.
same as native 2 and diamond naturals chicken and rice.accept ALOT cheaper.
no gas,no digestive issues or any other problems so far.

Bob Barnett

Post by Bob Barnett » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:50 am

4Health puppy then will switch to adult during the off season and performance during the season.

ekoog82

Post by ekoog82 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:47 am

Nutro lamb and rice, was started on pedigree and had some issues with his coat and skin. Switched over and he looks great now. Also wanted something that didn't have corn in it. May switch to something different once he is I. The field more with a higher protein ratio

dualsetter

Post by dualsetter » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:38 am

Euk Lamb & Rice. Switched from TOTW a few months ago he was losing weight on it and the Euk bulked him up and did wonders for his coat.

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:34 am

I feed Diamond EA during season and Diamond Performance during the off-season, I don't know why I switched....sometimes even I don't understand the methods to my madness :roll:

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:04 am

ekoog82 wrote:Nutro lamb and rice, was started on pedigree and had some issues with his coat and skin. Switched over and he looks great now. Also wanted something that didn't have corn in it. May switch to something different once he is I. The field more with a higher protein ratio
Similar story: had the dog on Exceed but despite feeding him waaay to much of it he still looked skinny & undernourished. Switched him to Innova EVO turkey/chicken & not only is his coat even better, but he put on not just weight but muscle. Also liked the fact that it has a high protein content (approx 43%) and grainless.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:09 am

I feed whatever the dogs do good on...

My EP pup is eating Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice. He didn't do so well on foods with chicken.

Can't remember what the other two eat, the wife knows :mrgreen:
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Crashola

Post by Crashola » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:27 pm

It's been kind of a journey for me and my dog. She was on Healthwise Chicken Meal & Oatmeal which was great stuff and our trainer sold it to me for $27. The problem is that he lives almost an hour away and the local pet food store sells the same bag for $40! Switched to Kirkland Chicken & Rice, good stuff but it gives her room-clearing gas. When in Costco this weekend, I picked up a bag of Nature's Domain Turkey and Sweet Potato -- which is their grain-free feed and only costs $29 for a 35 lb bag. We'll see how she does on it.

Red

Post by Red » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:34 pm

I just started my DK pup on Native from eukanuba, almost half the price and a much better food...

http://www.nativedogfood.com/
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:10 pm

Innova evo red meat.....4-6 cups a day and its around 42/22 $68.00 for 28 lbs.
Will be feeding Innova evo for summer but not as high % as she will not be running as much.
Last edited by ultracarry on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:19 pm

Kelsey, have you noticed that the folks that demand the absolute most from their dogs feed "normal" dog foods?

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:16 pm

slistoe wrote:Kelsey, have you noticed that the folks that demand the absolute most from their dogs feed "normal" dog foods?
Hmmm, I wonder why that is? :wink:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:04 am

slistoe wrote:Kelsey, have you noticed that the folks that demand the absolute most from their dogs feed "normal" dog foods?
Care to explain this remark? Or are you just itching to be a troll?
=SubMariner=

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:07 am

Designer dog foods are for the benefit of the owner, not the dog.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:12 am

slistoe wrote:Designer dog foods are for the benefit of the owner, not the dog.
And there it is... <sigh>

Is there some reason why you feel compelled to turn an innocent question & answer thread into a adversarial situation? Never heard of PMs?

Nevermind... rhetorical questions... :roll:
=SubMariner=

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:32 am

Some dog food companies have done an excellent job of advertising playing on human emotions to part folks of their hard earned money. Is it adverserial or informational to point that out?

If folks who are demanding the utmost of performance from their dogs could improve on that by spending more money for a bag of dogfood they would be doing it in a heartbeat. The fact is they can't make any improvement over the tried and tested dog food formulations. The dogs live long, healthy, active lives.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:23 am

Could the same be said then for "Performance" dog foods geared towards sporting and working dogs?..i see alot of people with hunting dogs that use these Performance foods but why not just use "normal" dog food? i have to say that some, not all, but some dogs foods do indeed advertise because they are what they say they are and this benefits the dogs since they are the ones eating it..my dog eats no wheat, corn or soy food and does well because of it, if i put him on proplan that my other dogs eat he would be dead in no time, so i have to respectfully say that some foods benefit the dog, not the owner since they are usually more expensive....ruth

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:08 am

Crashola wrote:It's been kind of a journey for me and my dog. She was on Healthwise Chicken Meal & Oatmeal which was great stuff and our trainer sold it to me for $27. The problem is that he lives almost an hour away and the local pet food store sells the same bag for $40! Switched to Kirkland Chicken & Rice, good stuff but it gives her room-clearing gas. When in Costco this weekend, I picked up a bag of Nature's Domain Turkey and Sweet Potato -- which is their grain-free feed and only costs $29 for a 35 lb bag. We'll see how she does on it.
Active Adult? That is a good food. It is the orphan formula from the Innova-Evo company. It is cheaper than Pro Plan Perf. in NJ and twice as good according to a few people I know.

Good value.

fordman

Post by fordman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:42 am

GUNDOGS wrote:
Could the same be said then for "Performance" dog foods geared towards sporting and working dogs?..i see alot of people with hunting dogs that use these Performance foods but why not just use "normal" dog food? i have to say that some, not all, but some dogs foods do indeed advertise because they are what they say they are and this benefits the dogs since they are the ones eating it..my dog eats no wheat, corn or soy food and does well because of it, if i put him on proplan that my other dogs eat he would be dead in no time, so i have to respectfully say that some foods benefit the dog, not the owner since they are usually more expensive....ruth
What is a normal dog food? Purina dog chow?

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:15 am

Fordman, i was referring to this quote from slistoe, and that was my point, most if not all dog foods use some sort of advertising or as some call it gimmicks to "claim" something about their food in order to out sell other brands and/or appeal to a certain group of people, but in some of those "claims" there is indeed facts and a need for that food..for example people have said i buy into gimmicks or designer dog food by buying food with no corn, wheat and soy but then they go and buy "performance"or "platinum" foods, i call that suckin and blowin....ruth :D

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:41 am

GUNDOGS wrote:my dog eats no wheat, corn or soy food and does well because of it, if i put him on proplan that my other dogs eat he would be dead in no time,
Really. Your dog would be dead if it ate proplan?
There are dogs that have a legitimate medical problem requiring a special diet. But otherwise I would say your dog is doing well in spite of it. Guaranteed that if your dog is a normally healthy animal it does not have any greater nutritional requirements than the dogs on a top field trial pros string or the string in a large hunting operation, or the dogs in the research trials that developed the formulas.

Crashola

Post by Crashola » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:47 am

mcbosco wrote:Active Adult? That is a good food. It is the orphan formula from the Innova-Evo company. It is cheaper than Pro Plan Perf. in NJ and twice as good according to a few people I know.

Good value.
Actually, I had her on Active Adult during the hunting season and moved her to the regular Healthwise when things slowed down. I liked both of them a lot. And her trainer loves it -- he switched from Canidae a while back. Although I was picking up three bags at a time for two dogs, it was still too much of a hassle for me to make a two-hour round trip for dog food. And the local specialty shop marked it up over 50% higher than he charged me.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:52 am

Crashola wrote:
mcbosco wrote:Active Adult? That is a good food. It is the orphan formula from the Innova-Evo company. It is cheaper than Pro Plan Perf. in NJ and twice as good according to a few people I know.

Good value.
Actually, I had her on Active Adult during the hunting season and moved her to the regular Healthwise when things slowed down. I liked both of them a lot. And her trainer loves it -- he switched from Canidae a while back. Although I was picking up three bags at a time for two dogs, it was still too much of a hassle for me to make a two-hour round trip for dog food. And the local specialty shop marked it up over 50% higher than he charged me.
That's too bad. That is a good formula just poorly marketed by Natura. I get my food at a big discount to retail too from a local musher. It is a great thing!!!

Crashola

Post by Crashola » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:56 am

mcbosco wrote: That's too bad. That is a good formula just poorly marketed by Natura. I get my food at a big discount to retail too from a local musher. It is a great thing!!!
No kidding. But for the recommendation from the trainer, I probably never would have heard of Healthwise.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:21 am

http://www.naturapet.com/brands/healthwise.asp

What gun dog owner would even think to buy this stuff with the heart on the bag but that Active formula is a perfect hunting dog food.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:32 pm

slistoe wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote:my dog eats no wheat, corn or soy food and does well because of it, if i put him on proplan that my other dogs eat he would be dead in no time,
There are dogs that have a legitimate medical problem requiring a special diet. But otherwise I would say your dog is doing well in spite of it. Guaranteed that if your dog is a normally healthy animal it does not have any greater nutritional requirements than the dogs on a top field trial pros string or the string in a large hunting operation, or the dogs in the research trials that developed the formulas.
Yes he would be dead in no time, i used proplan as an example only because its what my other dogs are fed and do quite well on..he was to the point of being put down, his hair was falling out, he was thin, his feet were bloody from chewing, he had bad diarrhea, his ears were inflammed and full of wax and the list goes on..after many tests and vet visits he was put on a no chicken, no corn, no wheat, no soy diet, with rosemary as a natural preservative and bam within weeks he was a new dog..i have to agree that a normally healthy animal may not have any GREATER nutritional requirements than dogs on a top field trial string, in a large hunting operation or dogs in research trials but they definitley may have DIFFERENT nutritional requirements, i say this because if all dogs had the same requirements as those examples you gave we would all use the same feed as they do and it would be good enough for all of our dogs..each dog is an individual and each dog has different nutitional requirements even though they are perfectly healthy, thats why so many people on this forum have said they have had to switch foods on a number of occassions, they are already feeding a good quality food such as proplan or diamond but their normal healthy dog just doesnt seem to do well on it so they try something else and the proof is the results for each animal....ruth

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:21 pm

slistoe wrote:
Slistoe, a little food for thought on why PPP is a bad deal for some people. It is $45 a bag near me for 37.5lbs, so $1.2lb. Blue Seal Performance is $30 for 40lbs, so $.75lb, 12th bag free on top of that.

http://www.blueseal.com/canine/LifeStag ... rmance.php

While each dog is different, the Blue Seal formula is superior on paper, and Blue Seal is a very reputable company.

So, for some PPP is a rip-off.

Red

Post by Red » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:35 pm

Blue Seal Performance
It's made by Kent, so is Native... Have you compared the two?
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:57 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:
slistoe wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote: i say this because if all dogs had the same requirements as those examples you gave we would all use the same feed as they do and it would be good enough for all of our dogs..each dog is an individual and each dog has different nutitional requirements even though they are perfectly healthy, thats why so many people on this forum have said they have had to switch foods on a number of occassions, they are already feeding a good quality food such as proplan or diamond but their normal healthy dog just doesnt seem to do well on it so they try something else and the proof is the results for each animal....ruth
Dog owners have different requirements, it is seldom the dog unless you have one like you have. And most feeds are so similar that there is very little difference in them. They all have to meet the same requirements of what has been established the dog needs fro normal nutrition. The differences are in the formulations and even those are pretty much alike with just a enough difference to provide a marketing program or to fit a different lifestyle such as a field dog compared to your typical lap dog. Its very much like which car gives you the best ride? Each owner has an opinion but the differences are pretty minor.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:02 pm

Red wrote:
Blue Seal Performance
It's made by Kent, so is Native... Have you compared the two?
Yeah Kent bought Blue Seal a while ago. Native Level 3 is $40 at the same place Blue Seal is sold by me. Native is a good food, far better ingredients than PPP for less money as well.

I was simple trying to show that in NJ where I live PPP just doesn't compare well, not even to Blue Seal.

Red, you see Blue Seal where you live, right?