American Brittany/French Brittany breeders?

KelseyCooke

American Brittany/French Brittany breeders?

Post by KelseyCooke » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:08 pm

I'm not looking into getting a puppy for another year or so, but I want to be able to talk to my breeder/figure out if they will be a good match for me.

We got Liberty (my 5 year old French brittany, who I ADORE) from a one time breeding, her mother was from Plum Creek and her father was a French import. I might look into importing a male from France, but I don't know.

I really like Plum Creek, (especially because of Cliathan Archer, Miss Liberty's grandfather); but I wanted to see if there were any other breeders.

I will be hunting with this male most likely; Liberty is just starting (thirteen years old here...).

She also competes in agility, obedience, confirmation, rally, and dock diving.

So I need a breeder who has had experience in at least agility, as it is my major passion.

Show lines can be thrown in; but mostly hunting.

Does anyone know of any?
Wit is a sword; people are meant to feel the point as well as see it.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: American Brittany/French Brittany breeders?

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:23 pm

Though AKC will register such crosses as Brittanys it is pretty looked down upon by the serious Epagnuel Breton and the American Brittany fanciers.

As for AKC Show if a brittany has any black this is an automatic DQ from the ring.

I would stick with the Guidelines of the Epagnuel Breton Club if you plan on breeding and also have a plan for pups that do not sell as people find out the hard way many times there is not a line of people knocking down the door to purchase a puppy
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:32 pm

kninebirddog wrote:Though AKC will register such crosses as Brittanys it is pretty looked down upon by the serious Epagnuel Breton and the American Brittany fanciers.

As for AKC Show if a brittany has any black this is an automatic DQ from the ring.

I would stick with the Guidelines of the Epagnuel Breton Club if you plan on breeding and also have a plan for pups that do not sell as people find out the hard way many times there is not a line of people knocking down the door to purchase a puppy
Nothing in her post suggested she would be interested in breeding but was just looking for a Brittany in a year or so and was starting by asking about breeders she might check out.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

KelseyCooke

Post by KelseyCooke » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:53 pm

I am not breeding Liberty; she was just my dog that my stepdad purchased for hunting but he never used her, and then I took her and I've decided to use her for hunting.

I may or may not stud out the male, or female if I get one. It depends how they turn out and such.

I do just want to look at breeders, I've found a few I like, but none really clicked with yet.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:02 pm

This was moved from the Dogs for sale section..Thus the mis read on purchasing a male for purposes

The American Brittany Mag they have a section where they show dogs that have attained titles through AKC...that might give you a start for what dogs that are doing agility to hunt test to field and show
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

KelseyCooke

Post by KelseyCooke » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:07 pm

Thanks!

I'll check it out.

C.painter

Post by C.painter » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:09 pm

I. Have a deposit down for a EB out of L'Escarbot kennel out of Mn. He has some great dogs w great lines. The liter I am picking from is due for birth around Nov. And home around Jan. Give john a call and see what u think. Check out his web page ( Just Google the kennel).

Cory

KelseyCooke

Post by KelseyCooke » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:14 pm

I'll take a look at them.

sully511

Post by sully511 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:20 pm

When I was looking for my Britt (primary agility dog) I checked into AKC conformation lines and didn't find a breeder that I clicked well with. Then I started looking into the field lines and found a GREAT breeder and dog out of dual lines. He has very nice drive and is fairly easy to train with a couple of exceptions like coming when called and pulling on a leash, but he is only 10.5 months and I think those things will get better with age and training. Long story short, just because a kennel produces dogs with alot of titles, doesn't mean that's the kennel you should go to. Trust your gut and talk to lots of people. My pup's dad has an RN, but that's the only performance title in his pedigree (that I know of) but he is going to be an absolute spit-fire in the agility ring and is going to be a blast to run :)

KelseyCooke

Post by KelseyCooke » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:24 pm

That is true, lol.
It's just nice to know that the dog should be fit for agility (such as buying a working dog from show only lines, ect.).
But I will look around. :P

Beautiful Brittany you have there, real cutie!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:34 pm

Oh Ps in the Brittany Magazine they also give the Dam and Sire of the dog that received a title and As I touched on my previous post since the AKC groups the American and the EB under just the title of Brittany you can also see when an EB gets an AKC title also as long as the dog is fully registered not just an ILP PAL listed dog for the agility.hunt test obedience titles

http://clubs.akc.org/brit/MembershipApplication.htm

KelseyCooke

Post by KelseyCooke » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:39 pm

Alright!!

LIberty's registered in AKC as a Canine Partner, since I have no want to show her in AKC confirmation (apparently they dislike working lines...).
But that's okay, we have agility and obedience, and rally there. :P

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:51 am

Kelsey - Good morning! You should really check with Mark Dinsmore of L'Etoile du Nord Kennel. Mark's name on here is Ohmymy111. I gurantee you won't be disappointed with Mark and his dogs! I just bought a pup for my dad from Mark. See thread below.

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=25287#p229330