Older male NOT IMPRESSED with new pup.

wills1235

Older male NOT IMPRESSED with new pup.

Post by wills1235 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:53 am

I just brought my new 52 day old GSP pup (male) home. I've got an older lab/pointer, who's a rescue. That ol' boy ain't happy about the pup. It's mainly walking around pouting and giving me the stink eye, but he has done a bit of growling and snapped at the pup once. Do I need to worry that he might hurt the pup? Should I give him a "stern talking to" when he growls? Or is it just the pack working itself out?
The best place to hunt is where the birds are. Next best is where they ain't. Anywhere else works too.

hosejockey2935

Re: Older male NOT IMPRESSED with new pup.

Post by hosejockey2935 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:05 am

Our older male was the same way. He never had a problem with other dogs, even when they stayed over. But when we brought our new pup home, he left her alone for almost a week. He would get up and walk away if she was in the same room as him! It seemed to solve itself; but I just thought it was a male/female thing. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. "NOT IMPRESSED" is a great way to put it!
~tom
Sir Ta' Mater of Chaos - Mater

Firebrand's Smoke & Mirrors - Kenzie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3358

V-John

Post by V-John » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:23 am

Sounds like he's just laying down the rules to the pup. That older dog is just helping you lay some manners and ground rules.

You'll know when you need to break it up, but growling and snapping once doesn't sound like to me anything malicious.

Edit: if that older dog really wanted to hurt a pup that young, by God he could do it.
Last edited by V-John on Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:24 am

I'd keep an eye on them, but give the old boy a chance to put some manners on the young one too. Your pup should learn TONS from the older dog.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:29 am

I would keep them separated for a bit...He will come around. Small pups can be too much for am older dog til they are 3-4 mo old and learn respect. I like to separate them in different rooms or crate one at a time for awhile..Let them get used to each other gradually. Yes, older dog can seriously hurt pup with one bite.
brenda

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:36 am

This process needs to be gradual. If they met in a park they would be best friends there, but when the older guy realizes he is sharing a house and affection, things change.

We will be fine over a period of days, few weeks.

Crashola

Post by Crashola » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:38 pm

It would echo what everyone else has said. I brought home my girl and my wife's female dog was not happy (females are supposed to be even worse than males). Lots of tense moments and we couldn't leave them alone. But within a few months they were best friends.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:43 pm

My dogs were the same.. after a few months they would play and fight over toys all day. Now when she goes on the road the little dog gets sad.. pretty funny.

reba

Post by reba » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:34 am

Keep it under control.

If you had a female dog she would keep both those males under control and I mean right now!

wills1235

Post by wills1235 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:55 pm

Thanks for all the comments. Older dog is still growling but no more real snapping. As a matter of fact, when the barn cat hissed at pup today, adult dog came running over and got between cat and pup. Pretty cool to see. I'm going to try to post pics of pup pointing at 52 days, but my internet is awful.
The best place to hunt is where the birds are. Next best is where they ain't. Anywhere else works too.

wills1235

Post by wills1235 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:08 am

Funny we had a guest dog over the weekend, and those two boys were best friends from the start. I hardly ever saw either dog- we've got 160 acres with a couple of ponds. Both dogs would come around in the evening dripping wet, and immediately growl at the pup, even knock him around a bit. I think my old boy is just jealous of the interloper, taking all my attention.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:00 am

wills1235 wrote:Thanks for all the comments. Older dog is still growling but no more real snapping. As a matter of fact, when the barn cat hissed at pup today, adult dog came running over and got between cat and pup. Pretty cool to see. I'm going to try to post pics of pup pointing at 52 days, but my internet is awful.

I wouldn't go out and leave them unsupervised - kennel one at least.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett