GSPeeing Pup

wills1235

GSPeeing Pup

Post by wills1235 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:41 am

My new GSP, male, 10 1/2 weeks old won't poop in the house. However he pees indoors constantly. In 3 1/2 hours tonight he's peed indoors 3 times and outside twice. I've had him outside at least 5 times. I've tried to eliminate drinking (the dog, not myself- I keep my alcohydration levels high) one half hour after his last meal, but he finds water outside. He seems to drink a lot of water. At least once an hour. I'll talk to my vet when we go back for another round of shots, but that's 10 or so days away. This is kind of a new development in the last three days. Last week we went two days without an indoor accident, but he didn't seem like he was drinking as much water. Any thoughts?
The best place to hunt is where the birds are. Next best is where they ain't. Anywhere else works too.

Fireside

Re: GSPeeing Pup

Post by Fireside » Thu May 05, 2011 1:50 am

sounds like a pretty typical puppy to me. they go thru phases where they seem to have the potty thing figured out, then they seem to have no clue.

crate him when not 100% supervised.
put him out after he eats, drinks, wakes up or finishes playing.
use a leash if necessary, take him to the designated area and tell him to do his business. don't leave the area until he does.
realize that he has the attention span of a gnat, he gets distracted very easily. when he says he has to go out, it's probably too late already. and he has the bladder capacity that can be measured in 10ths of a cc.
he will grow out of it.
at this point it is a lot about training you to take him out every time he looks like he might be thinking about going potty

good luck!
enjoy puppyhood, it doesn't last long!!!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu May 05, 2011 4:05 am

That pup should be crated while indoors and picked-up to be brought outside until it figures out that you only pee outside. Clean the areas with and enzyme-based cleaner and crate it.

Don't let the puppy roam your house.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu May 05, 2011 5:15 am

I 100% agree with the 2 posts above, crate the pup when you cant watch him AND sometimes pups pee more than once if you let them stay out long enough, ive brought a pup in after peeing and they peed again so give it long enough to be sure and watch to see he goes...i can honestly say ive had pups that went 5 times in 20 minutes, its crazy..but if you think of a baby that wears diapers, you can change wet diapers every hour..i recommend DO NOT limit water if you are home, only limit water a few hours before bed..it will probably take another month or two for your pup to really be expected to have more control...good luck...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu May 05, 2011 6:01 am

wills1235 wrote:My new GSP, male, 10 1/2 weeks old won't poop in the house. However he pees indoors constantly. In 3 1/2 hours tonight he's peed indoors 3 times and outside twice. I've had him outside at least 5 times. I've tried to eliminate drinking (the dog, not myself- I keep my alcohydration levels high) one half hour after his last meal, but he finds water outside. He seems to drink a lot of water. At least once an hour. I'll talk to my vet when we go back for another round of shots, but that's 10 or so days away. This is kind of a new development in the last three days. Last week we went two days without an indoor accident, but he didn't seem like he was drinking as much water. Any thoughts?

Peeing 5 times in 3.5 hours seems excessive to me. I could be wrong. I would get a simple, cheap, urine test( for bacteria) just in case.( Never with hold water from a puppy. ) Does he sleep through the night with a dry bed?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu May 05, 2011 9:26 am

I would have your pup tested for UTI or bladder infection. I bet that could be the cause, seen it before.

wills1235

Post by wills1235 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:42 am

Thanks for the replies. 3 votes for normal, two votes for maybe not normal. He does wet the newspaper in his crate, seemingly once or twice a night. He will wake me up at night for #2 but not to pee. I've only attempted to check his water consumption maybe 1 hour before bedtime, but he still always gets water outside when we go out to the bathroom area. Besides spending most of the daylight hours outdoors, either in a kennel or with me, he goes outside for bathroom breaks at least 15-20 times a day. Immediately after naps and after meals, again maybe a half hour after meals, and at least once an hour when we're just in the house. I'm not getting frustrated or upset with him, just trying to figure out if I need to get to the vet ahead of schedule.
The best place to hunt is where the birds are. Next best is where they ain't. Anywhere else works too.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu May 05, 2011 4:18 pm

wills1235 wrote:Thanks for the replies. 3 votes for normal, two votes for maybe not normal. He does wet the newspaper in his crate, seemingly once or twice a night. He will wake me up at night for #2 but not to pee. I've only attempted to check his water consumption maybe 1 hour before bedtime, but he still always gets water outside when we go out to the bathroom area. Besides spending most of the daylight hours outdoors, either in a kennel or with me, he goes outside for bathroom breaks at least 15-20 times a day. Immediately after naps and after meals, again maybe a half hour after meals, and at least once an hour when we're just in the house. I'm not getting frustrated or upset with him, just trying to figure out if I need to get to the vet ahead of schedule.
Wow. You have amazing patience. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu May 05, 2011 4:31 pm

Sounds like a problem to me ..Pups should be able to go hours in between piddling

I also think possible UTI
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Prairie Hunter

Post by Prairie Hunter » Thu May 05, 2011 5:18 pm

Could be a problem. Have him checked by a vet. Try cutting the pup off water earlier in the evening. You will just have to be more vigilant about not letting him get any water outside.

It also could be a dog that has trouble holding its water. Some dogs are like that. I have a 2-1/2 year old female that still has trouble holding her water. I cut her off of water about 7:00 p.m., and put her out for the last time about 10 – 11 p.m. If she drinks later than that, there is a chance she is not going to make it until I let her out in the morning.

Also, for the time being, remove everything from the crate (paper & bedding). Some dogs will continue to pee on bedding and/or paper if it’s in their crate rather than try to hold it, especially if they can move the paper & bedding out of the way, and sleep in a dry spot.

The pup may grow out of it, if given time, but I know 1st hand that it can be frustrating.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri May 06, 2011 7:20 am

When the dog is inside put it on a 6 foot or less leash and clip it to you. You will need to do some carrying from place to place, because the puppy will want it's own way and get frustrated having to follow you all the time. But once the bad habit starts you have to catch it EVERY time. Most people, however well intentioned and good owners, look away from the puppy and or get momentarily distracted more than they realize. My own husband for example, had a puppy inside last night, while I was at work. He knows better, but the puppy was squirming while he was on the phone( with me :roll: ) and set it down for just a sec while we said good byes, but that was plenty long enough for an accident. This is annoyingly difficult for you both, but if you stick to it I'd bet you can be getting a puppy that at least whines and runs to the door before peeing, within a few days. BUT this puppy is 5 weeks old SO really he should have assumed that it would pee when her feet touched the floor. But even this little, she was whining and wanting down. That could have been a learning experience for her that whining (or just 1 in a long line of potential future learning exp.... I mean) is how you ask to go outside.

Now, crate training is how they learn to "hold" it. So use the crate for all that you can also. Give treats and toys in the crate, and crate that puppy whenever you are not outside or leashed to it. Most puppies will pee every 15 to 30 minutes, if not taught to hold it, despite what the books say. The books give you a sensible limit of how long they CAN hold it, once they know to do that...

For example if you have a 4 year old child in the car, and you are traveling to see Grandma, and the child says "I have to go potty" they may "know" what to do, but you can not continue on for another 30 minutes. You have to stop ASAP. Maybe 5-10 minutes or less. With a puppy it's more like 5-10 seconds :wink:

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Sat May 07, 2011 10:39 am

I will vote towards having the pup tested for Urinary tract infections,crystals ect......It is extrememly common for female puppies to get infections....