Tripe, anyone?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Tripe, anyone?

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue May 03, 2011 2:06 pm

Any thoughts on using tripe in the diet?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Tripe, anyone?

Post by mcbosco » Tue May 03, 2011 2:32 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Any thoughts on using tripe in the diet?
Raw green tripe is a staple in my dog's diet, he was in fact weaned on it. Excellent stuff. White tripe from the market is a waste, don't mess with it.

It doesn't have the issues as other muscle meats, calcium and phosphorous are balanced. Good amount of fat as well.

Enzymes, bacteria...

How are you buying it? Frozen, fresh?

Smells like a road kill soaked in vinegar.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue May 03, 2011 2:47 pm

really?? where have you been the last 2 years or so?? :wink: :wink: Is mcbosco on your ignore list or something?? :wink:
i know more about tripe just from reading his posts than i ever cared to know!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:13 pm

dog dr wrote:

really?? where have you been the last 2 years or so?? :wink: :wink: Is mcbosco on your ignore list or something?? :wink:
i know more about tripe just from reading his posts than i ever cared to know!
Looks like a match made in heaven, doesn't it? Maybe they can just PM each other then the reast of us won't have to listen anymore.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue May 03, 2011 3:18 pm

I sell Solid Gold's green tripe and have had a couple of customers in a religious fervor over it, but I don't usually do mix-in additives. I took home a couple of dinger cans of Merrick's tripe stew and tried it on my Victoria Beckhamish youngster with a positive reception exceeded only by that he has exhibited toward macaroni and cheese. He needs to gain at least ten pounds and I wondered if the tripe has any REAL additional benefits.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue May 03, 2011 3:38 pm

You are asking about cooked tripe? You got me all excited over nothing. :D

Tripe in any form put on broken glass and rusty nails will get a dog to eat. There is nothing more palatable. The canned versions of green tripe do retain the digestive enzymes and will help your dog gain weight by getting the dog to eat as well as digest better. Merrick makes very clever palatable foods but I doubt the tripe in there is actually green tripe which is unwashed and unbleached. Abady use to make a beef and green tripe kibble but NYS made them stop because of some silly handling law.

The raw frozen stuff is the best by far but the Solid Gold Product, Trippett and Before the Grain are good products if you need your dog to pack on some weight.

You can also save some money by buying dehydrated green tripe and making a powder out of it and throw a cup or two in the feed bag.

Penn did a muscle mass study in the 1980's on green tripe and found it acted like a steroid on muscle mass.

I get this product:

http://tefcotripe.com/tripe.html

sully511

Post by sully511 » Tue May 03, 2011 5:30 pm

I give my dogs raw green tripe all the time. It's an excellent way to get weight on a dog and they love it. Plus out of all the pre-packed mixes of raw food I get, it's the most economical.

bossman

Post by bossman » Tue May 03, 2011 5:50 pm

So are you feeding this stuff in addition too or in place of other probiotics?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue May 03, 2011 6:09 pm

bossman wrote:So are you feeding this stuff in addition too or in place of other probiotics?

It is normally fed by raw feeders in the "muscle meat" category, not "meaty bones" like chicken necks or "organs" like liver or kidney.

The enzymes and probiotics are just a bonus.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue May 03, 2011 6:27 pm

Does it matter what kind of critter it comes from? I figure most commercial tripe is beef.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue May 03, 2011 6:33 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Does it matter what kind of critter it comes from? I figure most commercial tripe is beef.
That is a safe assumption, but any ruminant is fair game. Beef, sheep, goats, deer. There are middle eastern halal butchers in my area that are good sources for goat products. The link I provided uses mostly old bulls and spent dairy cows.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue May 03, 2011 7:32 pm

Anybody know creatine content on tripe or anything about the results of creatine supplementation on dogs to build endurance muscle?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue May 03, 2011 7:36 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Anybody know creatine content on tripe or anything about the results of creatine supplementation on dogs to build endurance muscle?
That is a Dr. Tim question.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue May 03, 2011 7:45 pm

sully511 wrote:I give my dogs raw green tripe all the time. It's an excellent way to get weight on a dog and they love it. Plus out of all the pre-packed mixes of raw food I get, it's the most economical.
sully511, where do you get pre packed mixed raw food? i always wanted to do raw and having it pre packed is something id be interested in, im not too far from ohio....ruth :D
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed May 04, 2011 3:19 am

GUNDOGS wrote:
sully511 wrote:I give my dogs raw green tripe all the time. It's an excellent way to get weight on a dog and they love it. Plus out of all the pre-packed mixes of raw food I get, it's the most economical.
sully511, where do you get pre packed mixed raw food? i always wanted to do raw and having it pre packed is something id be interested in, im not too far from ohio....ruth :D
ruth here you go

http://www.dogaware.com/diet/rawfoods.html#canada

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed May 04, 2011 4:11 am

mcbosco wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote:
ruth here you go

Thanks, i will call today, theres more than i thought here in ontario :D my vet had recommended from the beginning for my dog with the food allergies to go on raw duck, venison and rabbit so i will see about it, i would prefer to have him on raw rather than kibble, alot of animals with allergies end up on raw and do soooo much better, the president of the boxer club here has been encouraging me to go on raw for months so im gonna give it a shot.....ruth

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Wed May 04, 2011 11:04 am

Anyone know anything about the Urban Carnivore Frozen Ground beef green tripe patties?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed May 04, 2011 1:19 pm

No but avoid buying raw food in patty form because it is much more expensive by the lb that way. Buy 5lb or 10lb logs.

Generally tripe is tripe.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Wed May 04, 2011 1:42 pm

I can get it at $2.50 per lb, not sure if that is good or not for a stomach.

sully511

Post by sully511 » Wed May 04, 2011 3:39 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:
I get mine from a friend who sells it commercially. Here's her website, it's very good quality food but can be pricey. I usually only feed about 2 spoonfuls of the mix with chicken backs or necks and it works out well for all my guys.

http://www.threecheersrawrawraw.com/

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed May 04, 2011 6:34 pm

I get it usually for $1.5lb but if I am in south jersey at a soccer tourney I can get it for $.85lb from a small slaughter house.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Wed May 04, 2011 7:50 pm

Cajun Casey, visit www.greentripe.com for more info and raw g. analysis stuff. Online bulk orders too. -Mark

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri May 06, 2011 6:27 am

Well i looked into the raw diet and it just seems like too much work to me, maybe im lazy but it seems you have to really know how much of bone vs how much of meat and follow up with formulas added for helping in digestion ect..i spent alot of the time on the phone with a few breeders that feed raw and it seems overwhelming to me..with 5 kids and 6 dogs and running a business i just dont have all the prep time ect it seems..does it just seem this intense and its really not?...ruth

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Fri May 06, 2011 7:22 am

Tripe is a really good source of some great amino acids and fat. Just hard to find and yu need to get em used to it but a good idea in addition to a good base diet.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri May 06, 2011 8:01 am

dr tim wrote:Tripe is a really good source of some great amino acids and fat. Just hard to find and yu need to get em used to it but a good idea in addition to a good base diet.
Hi drtim..would it be a good idea for me to just add tripe to my dogs diet with him being on kibble or would that upset his stomach..hes now on Proplan selects salmon and brown rice, i just switched him off of blue buffalo to the proplan and hes doing really well so should i try the tripe as an addition to this food? thanks....ruth :D

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri May 06, 2011 8:11 am

GUNDOGS wrote:
dr tim wrote:Tripe is a really good source of some great amino acids and fat. Just hard to find and yu need to get em used to it but a good idea in addition to a good base diet.
Hi drtim..would it be a good idea for me to just add tripe to my dogs diet with him being on kibble or would that upset his stomach..hes now on Proplan selects salmon and brown rice, i just switched him off of blue buffalo to the proplan and hes doing really well so should i try the tripe as an addition to this food? thanks....ruth :D
Ruth I have been using raw green tripe for years. I know breeders that ween pups on it. I have gone from dry food to only raw tripe and back with zero upset.

Raw tripe will actually help a dog with issues because of the friendly bacteria and enzymes.

Dogs with sensitivities to dry foods have zero trouble with raw meat products in my experience.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri May 06, 2011 8:24 am

Thanks Mcbosco, so if he is on kibble i can add the tripe..how much should i give daily?..ruth

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri May 06, 2011 8:42 am

I really can't say. I just throw 1 lb in the bowl but my dog is over 90lbs. Buy the 2lb frozen package and feed 1/4 - 1/2 lb at a time.

You can buy those 5lb logs and let them soften in the fridge just to the point you can slice them into disks and stick them back in the freezer. They will still be frozen when you slice them up.

Feed them as you like.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri May 06, 2011 8:48 am

mcbosco wrote:I really can't say. I just throw 1 lb in the bowl but my dog is over 90lbs. Buy the 2lb frozen package and feed 1/4 - 1/2 lb at a time.

You can buy those 5lb logs and let them soften in the fridge just to the point you can slice them into disks and stick them back in the freezer. They will still be frozen when you slice them up.

Feed them as you like.
ok..and the best place for me to look for the 5 lb logs is that link you gave me?...ruth

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri May 06, 2011 8:58 am

yes, also email the guy at Raise a Paw for Raw and ask if he has retailers in Canada.

http://www.tefcotripe.com/

I know people are a little hestitant to give dogs raw products but dogs are set up to process these products very easily. The only one that has ever caused a short case of the runs for me is liver.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Fri May 06, 2011 4:05 pm

Tripe also makes for an awesome do-it-yourself chew treat for those of you with dehydrators at home! It is a HUGE money saver in the long run...plus making homemade dog chews is pretty easy. I have even munched on some tripe jerky myself and it isn't half bad! Had to test it on humans first, of course! -Mark

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri May 06, 2011 4:32 pm

northUpland wrote:Tripe also makes for an awesome do-it-yourself chew treat for those of you with dehydrators at home! It is a HUGE money saver in the long run...plus making homemade dog chews is pretty easy. I have even munched on some tripe jerky myself and it isn't half bad! Had to test it on humans first, of course! -Mark
Do you know what this means? \0/ /0\

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri May 06, 2011 4:38 pm

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Fri May 06, 2011 5:28 pm

CC, Sorry. I don't know what that means. I was just offering up a very low cost way to DIY healthy chew treats. Even with a cheap dehydrator anybody can dry top quality protein treats for your dog and save a ton of $$$ doing it. But then again, I live in the upper midwest, on a farm, in the boonies... so call me a hick for not buying what I can make on my own.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri May 06, 2011 5:45 pm

northUpland wrote:CC, Sorry. I don't know what that means. I was just offering up a very low cost way to DIY healthy chew treats. Even with a cheap dehydrator anybody can dry top quality protein treats for your dog and save a ton of $$$ doing it. But then again, I live in the upper midwest, on a farm, in the boonies... so call me a hick for not buying what I can make on my own.
That's the qwerty emoticon for me screaming and then tossing my cookies. No freakin' way am I chewing on dehydrated tripe. Yuck.

:)

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Mon May 09, 2011 6:30 am

I have to say, I always try other companies dry food myself but have never done tripe. I did do muktuk in Alaska a few times to say I did but that was by far the worst flavor experiance I have ever encountered. The tripe could take that crown, if given the chance. It won't get the chance unless they slip it in at some ethnic restaurant.

How much tripe? From the anecdotal stuff of mushers they rarely go over about 20% of the total diet being tripe when competing/training. Hard to say what the perfect number is but rachet it up a bit slow. Bosco man, you have gone from zero to 60(all or none) with tripe with no ill effects on your carpeting from the dog?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon May 09, 2011 6:40 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
northUpland wrote:CC, Sorry. I don't know what that means. I was just offering up a very low cost way to DIY healthy chew treats. Even with a cheap dehydrator anybody can dry top quality protein treats for your dog and save a ton of $$$ doing it. But then again, I live in the upper midwest, on a farm, in the boonies... so call me a hick for not buying what I can make on my own.
That's the qwerty emoticon for me screaming and then tossing my cookies. No freakin' way am I chewing on dehydrated tripe. Yuck.

:)
Zero, and he went to Pursuit in one day with a perfect stool the next.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon May 09, 2011 10:40 am

Never mind. He quit eating the Merrick's. Back to the drawing board. Interesting discussion, though.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Mon May 09, 2011 2:24 pm

CC, You could always try some trachea, gullet, or maybe a slice of tongue now...I was just by the butcher shop this morning. Yummie! You don't know what you are missing taste testing some...stuff is considered a delicacy in most countries(including New Jersey!!!)
Last edited by northUpland on Mon May 09, 2011 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon May 09, 2011 2:38 pm

northUpland wrote:CC, You could always try some trachea, gullet, or maybe a slice of tongue now...I was just by the butcher shop this morning. Yummie! You don't know what you are missing taste testing some...stuff is considered a delicacy in most countries(including New Jersey!!!) :D
Would you like to trade for some chittlins, scrapple, souse or headcheese?

I grew up hick, can you tell? :)

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Mon May 09, 2011 2:50 pm

That's why I like you CC...You understand where I am coming from! Thanks for the reminder...Headcheese sounds pretty darn good right now. My pointer and I just love us some "meat jelly" on a rainy Monday afternoon! I take mine on crackers...he likes his straight up!

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Mon May 09, 2011 8:38 pm

Headcheese sounds pretty darn good right now. My pointer and I just love us some "meat jelly" on a rainy Monday afternoon! I take mine on crackers...he likes his straight up!
Mine love to go to Grammy and Pop Pop's house for souse. Me- no way but scrapple. Yum!!!! Would love a few slices of crispy Habbersett right now. Never knew anyone outside of PA/NY that liked this stuff.