Launchers

Vision

Launchers

Post by Vision » Mon May 30, 2011 6:44 pm

I am curious if anybody on this site remembers the bird launchers that a guy in Nebraska manufactured around 1989-1990ish that came with a collar that triggered the launchers. There were three different antenna's that came with the launchers, a short one for regular wind conditions. medium for windier or stop to flush work, and a long one for real windy days or stop to flush work.

I had a set of 3 that worked wonderfully. It sure made them point hard and staunch in few training sessions.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Re: Launchers

Post by nikegundog » Mon May 30, 2011 9:08 pm

Are you talkig about the innotek ones that were controls by the same remote as the collars? If so it was the model 800 and 1600 series.

Vision

Post by Vision » Tue May 31, 2011 1:39 pm

No, these did not have any hand held controls. They only came with a collar to trigger them.

Ridge-Point

Post by Ridge-Point » Tue May 31, 2011 2:30 pm

Never heard of them, but it sure sounds like a great idea.

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Tue May 31, 2011 3:08 pm

I think the company that made them was Horizon and later became innotec. I never saw them in action but if they worked well it looks like someone else would come out with a similar product. I like the concept.

Mo

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue May 31, 2011 4:45 pm

I was just thinking the other day how great of an idea that would be.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue May 31, 2011 4:56 pm

I would think there would be some issues...scenting conditions would be one, though I suppose it would be arguable that it is irrelevant if a dog gets too close its too close...but what about when it was locked up, how would you activate it? A second transmitter of the same frequency I guess?

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue May 31, 2011 5:01 pm

This would be a great tool,some company should take this idea & run with it.If it was made reliable would be almost like wild birds.This would take the guess work & timing out of the trainers hand & put it all on the dogs & launchers would help with alot of the mistakes made by the trainers especially beginners.
I like it but never heard of the old ones, maybe I'm not as old as I think. :lol:
Yeah right!!

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue May 31, 2011 5:40 pm

If it was made reliable would be almost like wild birds.
Pretty sure I've read launchers are exactly like wild birds already... :lol: :lol:

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Tue May 31, 2011 5:58 pm

I recall these were in existance say back in the mid 90's but can't recall who made them...think Mo might be right. As far as what do do when the dog is on point you went in and manually flushed it I believe. just like wild birds):>)

Vision

Post by Vision » Tue May 31, 2011 8:10 pm

Favor, you crack me up. My avatar picture was taken not to far from your property.

They were great. You never had to say one word to the dog, just let them figure it out on their own, like wild birds. I sold mine with everything else when my life took a wrong turn with my wife. Now I wished I had left the things in the garage collecting dust. I would love to reverse engineer them and market them now.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue May 31, 2011 9:12 pm

My avatar picture was taken not to far from your property.
Where o where out there?? :lol:

You just keep those launchy thingys away from there!! Don't want my birds to see that and be spawning ideas about gettin' lazy!! :lol:

Vision

Post by Vision » Tue May 31, 2011 10:14 pm

That's the Idaho that I love.

Just over yonder by that pond called Daniels, little place nick named sharptail mountain. I could park in such a way and not have my vehicle spotted so my friends who tried to track me to my spot could not find me. The 4 points would run from aspen stand to aspen stand in a ring around the mountain every time there. It was fun.