introducing dog to water (new member)

BIGINNER

introducing dog to water (new member)

Post by BIGINNER » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:23 am

hi, i was a lurker on this site for a little, but now i have a question, what is a good way to introduce a dog to water, my dog is 2 years old, his name is blitz
blitz isn't really scared of water, he'll go into the water on his own without me having to coax him in, but he is scared to go in far enough to where he would have to swim. when i throw the bumper into the water for him to retriev, he'll sprint into the water, and stop as soon as the water reashes his stomach, he'll just stand there wimpering because he wants to retreive the bumper, but is scared to swim, whats a good way to get him past this fear, i don't want to just throw him in or force him in, because it seems counter productive, i was thinking about useing a live, or dead pigeon, i'm pretty positive that he'll go in after a bird, but not 100% sure.
thanks for any help/info.

oh, blits is a weimaraner.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Re: introducing dog to water (new member)

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:05 pm

HI and welcome to the forum..you can try buying a life jacket for blitz at petsmart or another store that carries them..the ones with the handle on them to hold the dog in one spot is a great jacket to have in order to bring them out farther into the water and hold the handle allowing them to tread water safely and you can grab them easily if needbe..also you can try putting blitz on a check cord and guide him out into the water, of course you need to go in as well to pull him along with you..lots of praise and exposure to water will be a great start and then move to going deeper with the jacket and/or check cord..these methods are what i do for dogs i get that dont care too much for going in deep..good luck to you and blitz :D ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

MNGSP

Post by MNGSP » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:14 pm

I think you are on the right track with the live bird thing. If he's good and bird crazy I'd think that would be enough to draw him out. Get him good and excited about that bird and toss it out jsut deep enough that he'd have to swim. Then progress with farther throws as he gets used to it. I think the key here is to keep him really excited and fired up. When he takes that first swim make sure you praise the heck out of him! Take baby steps and keep him wanting more.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:19 pm

You cross a river or some other channel. He'll not want to be left behind so he'll swim to you on his own. Once he figures out how to swim he'll probably start thinking he's a lab.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:23 pm

I like to take them on hikes, get them good and hot and then just walk across a creek that they only have to wade through.

Doesn't take long before they figure out all on their own that water is a good thing.

BIGINNER

Post by BIGINNER » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:26 pm

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE GUYS/GALS. HOPEFULLY I'LL GET OFF WORK EARLY TODAY AND TAKE MY KID AND BLITS OUT TO PLAY A LITTLE, MAYBE TAKE A PIGEON OR TWO TO TROW IN THE WATER. :)

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:52 pm

I took mine into my parents' pool where there are steps to stand on. I'll bring him in and make him whoa on the steps then I take one hand under his chest and one under his flanks and lift him off the bottom and hold him in the water until his legs make the swimming motion. I then gently let him down and he sees that he can swim. I can them around and walk in the shallow end and soon enough, they love it!

Bill

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:20 pm

Some people use cheesies which float.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:16 pm

A weim lady I know swears by Cheeto's ..throw them in the shallow and as ol' blitz starts eatin um, just toss them further and further out until he has to swim to get them. Go to this site and you can ask her yourself :D

http://huntingweimforum.com/

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:47 am

Redfishkilla wrote:You cross a river or some other channel. He'll not want to be left behind so he'll swim to you on his own. Once he figures out how to swim he'll probably start thinking he's a lab.
That's it. Never make a big deal of it. Let the dog do it on his own. If you have access to a pond or small lake and a boat, just row around out there and let the dog follow you.

Never, never, never, use pressure to introduce a dog to water. Make it their idea.

Your dog's reaction is normal. Birds might do it, but if he won't go for a live bird, he's just refused a retrieve on you. That's why I prefer letting the dog follow me.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

K9luke

Post by K9luke » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:50 am

Redfishkilla wrote:You cross a river or some other channel. He'll not want to be left behind so he'll swim to you on his own. Once he figures out how to swim he'll probably start thinking he's a lab.

If you have another dog available that will swim to retrieve like a friends or neibors dog. Take them out together and let the other dog show him how it's done. Start throwing bumpers on dry ground first to get a little competition going then toss it in the water. Make sure the dogs get along first though.

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:57 am

I like to sit in about a foot of water and LET them come out to me. I'll push myself out a little at a time until it's swimming depth for her and LET them come out to me. I did it with my EP pup a couple of days ago. She had been down to the river several times with me and the other dogs and would dabble in the water up to her chest. When she finally took the plunge and swam a couple of feet to get to me I supported her underneath and let her get comforatable floating. Within a minute or so she was confortable. About 5 minutes later she was trying to swim across the current after my Llew. Let them get comforatable, don't press it.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:42 am

Beginner,
We use a baby wading pool when the dogs are pups, sit in the pool with the pups and let the pool fill up, play with the puppies, let them learn how to swim early on in life, the pup then understands that water is just another part of his hunting habitat. This method works extremely well with Weimar dogs.
RGD/Dave

deke

Post by deke » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:51 pm

k9luke is on the right track. We never pushed our dogs to swim. Just take him out with other dogs that love water, and soon he will jump in so that he can play too. Then again I have labs. So it might be different.

larue

Post by larue » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:09 am

you can certainly try all the enticement ways to get your dog to swim,other dogs,live ducks,ect.If they do not work this will.
Get your swimsuit or waders on,Carry your dog out into swiming depth(for your dog) and throw the dummy back onto the land or in very shallow water.
He will swim back to land(make your first releases so he has only a few feet before he does not have to swim).
Pick him up and do it again. Keep doing this,and as he starts to relax,start throwing the dummy into deeper running water until you are throwing the dummy into water sideways so he is now swimming to get the dummy the entire time.Then throw the dummy into deeper water so he is swimming away from you ,and then you start to get into shallower water as you throw the dummy into deep water.
If you have to put a check cord on the dog so they dont run off in the beginning.
I had to carry my wifes small munster 100 times before he would do it on his own,and he was good from then on.