Timberwolves - good or evil?

MN Bonasa

Timberwolves - good or evil?

Post by MN Bonasa » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:09 pm

I wanted to chime in about Timberwolves or maybe to some degree coyotes also. This thread has more to do with hunters in the great lakes region than other places, but I suppose in the Rockies also. With my new pup I think I scared my girlfriend when I mentioned she ( dog ) would get eatin by wolves if I were to ever encounter them in the woods while grouse hunting.
My curiosity is has anyone lost a dog to wolves or have had any crazy encounters with them. Does the bell not only let me know where the dog is but can it spook unwanted vermin away? Personally we need a season on them and their numbers need to be reduced, but thats my opinion. I have never encountered them while hunting alone, but family memebers have seen them while deer hunting. Should a person carry some heavier load if it came down to it, save my dog and shoot the wolf in the "bleep" :!:

displaced_texan

Re: Timberwolves - good or evil?

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:27 pm

There are a lot of coyotes wherever hunt. Never had or heard of a run in with them and the dogs.

We did have the dogs take off after one of the Cougars that supposedly isn't in Oklahoma, they called off...
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:34 pm

I lve in northern MN, we see timbers every deer season, in places we also grouse hunt, but would never worry about my safety or that of my dog in reguards to wolves or coyotes. Could an attack happen? Absolutely. But highly unlikely. Usually only see them when in a stand, being quiet. When in the woods hunting, communicating with your dog, they'll be long gone before an encounter will ever happen.

What part of MN you from OP?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:38 pm

Boy, does this thread subject raise a stir on most message boards. :!:

Only saw one wolf in the U.P. and some pretty fresh tracks on a sandy road....Fall is a better time to have an encounter than when the wolf pups are small I suppose so my fear is small....alert?, yes.
Heavy loads...hardly.
More worried about wire and old wells re pups.

KFhunter

Post by KFhunter » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:43 pm

Timberwolf? What Timberwolf?

Now if you want to talk about the much larger, much meaner killing machine the Canadian Gray Wolf thats been passed off as "timberwolves" then check out this site:
http://www.saveelk.com/index.html

you guys might have timbers over on the east side of the US and your not worried about them as their elusive and scarce. Not in the west, we have an invasive species of wolf transplanted from the carabou herd chasing gray wolf.

over here they'll eat your dog for a snack

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:53 pm

KFhunter wrote:Timberwolf? What Timberwolf?

Now if you want to talk about the much larger, much meaner killing machine the Canadian Gray Wolf thats been passed off as "timberwolves" then check out this site:
http://www.saveelk.com/index.html

you guys might have timbers over on the east side of the US and your not worried about them as their elusive and scarce. Not in the west, we have an invasive species of wolf transplanted from the carabou herd chasing gray wolf.

over here they'll eat your dog for a snack

22-250 is the answer to them then!

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:19 pm

baileydog I am from Saint Cloud,

I bring up the topic because I am pretty sure I read an article in Minnesota Outdoors where Gary Clancy had an encounter, where his bittany got tangled up with one and from out of nowhere his lost shorthair came out of nowhere barreling in to save the day.
So that got me thinking about if I had an encounter what my response to the situation should be.
I do agree that more often than not wolves would run because of the noise, but on a real windy day where sound may not travel as well things could get crazy if in the wrong spot at the wrong time. Some of those trails get back in the wood a few miles where anything could happen.

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:24 pm

MN_GROUSE_GUY wrote:baileydog I am from Saint Cloud,

I bring up the topic because I am pretty sure I read an article in Minnesota Outdoors where Gary Clancy had an encounter, where his bittany got tangled up with one and from out of nowhere his lost shorthair came out of nowhere barreling in to save the day.
So that got me thinking about if I had an encounter what my response to the situation should be.
I do agree that more often than not wolves would run because of the noise, but on a real windy day where sound may not travel as well things could get crazy if in the wrong spot at the wrong time. Some of those trails get back in the wood a few miles where anything could happen.

Yea, anything is possible. I hunt grouse 3-4 days a week in prime coyote/wolf territory and while I have seen a few, they have been on a dead run the other way, every time. It could happen, but Id worry more about barbed wire, other stupid hunters, guys on wheelers "hunting", or porcipines that I would ever worry about wolves/yotes. Thats just me.

Vision

Post by Vision » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:43 pm

I've read two different articles in Outdoor life about people loosing hounds to wolves in Idaho.

I had another experience in Idaho where one of my shorthairs went out of sight for a few minutes. I was hunting on horseback and rode over to a ravine and found the shorthair playing cat and mouse with a coyote. The coyote was slowing drawing the shorthair up the ravine. I followed them up the ravine and at the top of the ravine were 2 more coyotes. I got off the horse and walked beside the horse within slug range of the coyotes. I'm sure they would have killed the dog if I had not got with 75 yards with the horse. One shot from the gun sent the coyotes running. If we had young pups in the truck that whined after we left the truck it was inevitable to come back to the truck and find coyotes sitting 30-40 yards away from the truck. No wonder the farm cats were so skittish

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:44 pm

MN_GROUSE_GUY wrote:baileydog I am from Saint Cloud,

Get your concealed carry liscense and carry a TC Contender chambered in 45/70 :mrgreen:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:18 pm

We have one here too displaced texan. My dad manages pig farms for a corporate pig farming operation. Just last week they found a cougar in one of the pig barns when they went into work. For awhile, a couple of months ago, my dad was staying nights at the farm in an attempt to shoot it with the permission of the Texas Department of Wildife and the local sheriff's permission but they lost track of it and now it appears to be back around again. Where I live is right in the middle of the panhandle on the Texas/Oklahoma border. The farms my dad manages are just over into Texas about 7 miles or so. You wouldn't figure you would find a cougar this far north but I guess it's possible.

LincolnAlexander

Post by LincolnAlexander » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:32 pm

Vision wrote:I had another experience in Idaho where one of my shorthairs went out of sight for a few minutes. I was hunting on horseback and rode over to a ravine and found the shorthair playing cat and mouse with a coyote. The coyote was slowing drawing the shorthair up the ravine. I followed them up the ravine and at the top of the ravine were 2 more coyotes.
I have heard a couple stories of a single coyote luring a dog back to several more of them.
CanCH Stonepoint's the Missing Link FD, RDX, V (Lincoln)
NorthLink Mattie's Bayou Shade NAVHDA NAII (108) (Shade)
NorthLink's Shaken Not Stirred NAVHDA NAI (112) (Olive)
http://www.northlinkweimaraners.com

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:46 am

Their over here too. SSS
A big running dog I think has a better chance of being picked off :cry: But if you look at the report some house dogs were also taken.
It's always in the back of my mind

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/mammals/w ... ed2010.htm

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:32 am

Very interesting article, so my concerns are real, by the looks of that table the people with the most concern are the ones that run dogs on bears, however there are a few upland and retrievers on the list also.
I have yet to hunt one second over my new dog and it is already on the back of my mind, I better work on her being a short ranger and not a big runner!! Some of the best grouse areas that I have hunted are known to have wolf packs in the area!
Last season hunting in the Orr area I was awaken at night to howling when camping.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:47 am

Get your concealed carry liscense and carry a TC Contender chambered in 45/70
CC one of them? Thats one huge gun to conceal :)

I had a yote encounter one time, my shorthairs went on point, yote sorta rose up out of the weeds and snarled at the dogs, was his last noise. My dogs tore him up so I shot him.

We have cougar issuse too, but they evaporate :) with a 12 ga slug. that will end any large animals activity period.

I have seen wolves in wild places but they were moving away from me.

I read the other day where a yote tried to pull a baby off a trampoline, the mom got the baby and a neighbor brought over a shotgun, dead yote... looked like a dog in the pics tho...??
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:40 am

I do understand the reality is the odds are in the favor of that ever happening are probably not great, however I am a 27 year veteran of deer hunting of northern MN where wolves are and I have seen first hand what the protection of wolves has done to the deer herd in the north part of the state. What once was a rare occurance to have an encounter back in the 80's thru the 90's is now much more frequent now, there isn't a person who could convince me otherwise. I also agree the odds of getting hit by a car are much greater and or any other reason sickness, etc, etc,.... but as the years go by and the packs keep getting larger are the odds increasing of encounters with bad outcomes.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:43 am

We have a few deer in Iowa, come on down and hunt them :) no wolves.....
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

JKP

Post by JKP » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:22 pm

Here's what you carry in wolf or coyote country...just take off the scope and go bird hunting....the third barrel is the hammer.

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:45 pm

Not sure about the rules on posting links to other forums, but here's one from a site I frequent often from a guy whose dog was attacked by three wolves while he was ruffed grouse hunting last fall in northern Minnesota: http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ub ... /2407299/1
Dog survived the attack, but was put down a couple days before Christmas due to complications.
There also was a story the same year of some guy's prize hound getting attacked and partially eaten in Minnesota. I saw the pictures at one point. Can't find them now...not pretty.
So does it happen? Yes. Are the chances of it happening to your dog while hunting very high? Well I guess that would depend on the density of the wolf population in your area and how mean your dog is...

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:12 pm

Well I kinda had a feeling about my post being somewhat legit. After reading that link I think I am starting to lean towards getting a handgun permit, probably should have one anyway. This is my first bird dog that was years in the waiting and she is only 13 weeks old and have way over a g-note into her already why take the chance. Already she has become a family memeber and not just a hunting dog. I do believe wolves belong in the woods along with us and they are the fore fathers of all our dogs but do we really need that many?

sdpowskier

Post by sdpowskier » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:14 pm

LincolnAlexander wrote:
Vision wrote:I had another experience in Idaho where one of my shorthairs went out of sight for a few minutes. I was hunting on horseback and rode over to a ravine and found the shorthair playing cat and mouse with a coyote. The coyote was slowing drawing the shorthair up the ravine. I followed them up the ravine and at the top of the ravine were 2 more coyotes.
I have heard a couple stories of a single coyote luring a dog back to several more of them.
It can work both ways. I got this website forwarded to me a while back. Personally I like it when the hunting dog lures the coyote back.

http://www.montanadoggers.com/

KFhunter

Post by KFhunter » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:01 pm

Right now I worry more about moose and cougar than anything else, coyotes will chase my dog but she'll toll them in for me and they'll flat scoot when you make your presence known.
bear are the same way, they won't usually bother too much with a dog around here.
Reason wolves kill hound dogs more than bird dogs is the hounds make so much noise, you can hear them baying for miles and the wolves even further. They don't like a pack of hounds in their territory and will kill them. Bird dogs mostly run silent and wolves would have to be a lot closer to zero in on them, also bird dogs are closer to humans than hounds on the chase.
KFhunter wrote:lol sorry about that I was at work and had to run so just hit the submit button

We were walking up a road to pick huckleberries, walking because there was a lot of downed trees blocking the ATV's access. We didn't bring a gun or a chainsaw. Libby was out front 50 feet or so and my dad, son and nephew were walking behind. My son is 11 and nephew 13 or so.

The dog all the sudden went on point, at about the same time my dad grabs my shoulder to physically turn me to the cat to see it, but the cat ducked behind the log so I missed it. He tried to play some kind of gestures game to get me to understand what he's seen as to not alarm the boys, I figured it out right away (and so did the boys) and glance back to my dog who is going in! Thank god I got her pretty solid on come, she did not want to come so I broke out the deep no nonsence "COME NOW" voice, she waivered and shook a bit but started coming, point, come, point, come... it took a lot to get her to come back but finally I had my hands on her, removed a belt and fashioned a leash. We hung out a bit there to see if the cat would bolt off, it didn't. After a few minutes I could smell it. It was a strong urine musty smell just like a cat peeing in the house, you cannot mistake it. You could almost taste it on your tongue rather than smell it, the slight breeze brought it right to us. I figured it was a tom cat and perhaps was marking its territory when we walked up. I got the since that it was a big mature tom.

man I wasn't expecting this!

So we are walking back out, about a mile and a half back to the ATV's. I think ok done deal, nope
The cat paralled us on a rocky ridge about 30 yards away padding along the rocks in silence, except some areas where the rocks broke into a small brush filled crease even a cat couldn't get thru without disturbing the dry brush, we heard it each time. I armed myself with a big stick and dad did likewise, Man I felt pretty lame holding a freaking stick while being stalked by a cougar :lol:

I had the boys hold the dog and walk right between me and dad, she really wanted up on that ridge to sniff out that cat, I don't think she realized how big it was :lol:

after having the cat trail us ahwile we thought ok it dropped off, nope

The cat ran ahead and set up an ambush right off the side of the road, slightly uphill from us and in a thick patch of brush, we walked by the pounce point and the cat stoop up to get a target but we spotted it. It was fifteen feet away and eyeball level, one small leap for a cat. I immediatly stepped in front of the boys and squared off next to my dad who also was armed with a big stick. I was really ready to clobber that cat.

The cat squatted back down but didn't leave, we eased on out and that was the last I seen of it.

Untill I went back up the next day armed with a .44 carbine

I didn't see the cat but it did take a dump right in our tracks, wow did it ever stink, and it was a big pile of scat...way big
thought I'd bring this thread back up, the above quote was my story that kind of fits in here.
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=25918

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:44 am

Again, bear hounds especially are at more risk more often by wolves than birddogs due to their training time in the woods when wolves may feel their pups are threatened.
As wolves increase tho then the odds increase for the odd chance of a negative encounter with a birddog...or if one runs a birddog during the summer and it runs wide....or simple bad luck knocks.

There will always be a danger but I reckon many look only for a reason to pack a handgun as much as anything....supposedly most of us will be packing a scattergun when birdhunting.
If a bad encounter happens where we have a chance to affect then a heater or roscoe or gat may not do much more than a two-row or chopper.
Perhaps, judgement should be the first purchase.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:43 am

Why get a CC permit? Why not?

Unfortunately, in Illinois, constitutional rights still don't pertain to us. I know, a little off topic.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:58 pm

Anything is possible with wildlife. Close to two years ago now, a woman was killed in Nova Scotia by two coyotes after being attacked by them. Granted, she died later in the hospital, but regardless, it was tragic and was caused by coyotes. While they aren't as big as wolves, they are capable of doing serious damage, especially in numbers. Can't predict them, but it doesn't stop me from hunting where we have them either.

Here is a link to the story of the incident.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... -died.html

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:07 am

when we have pups, its always a fun night activity to have a few buddies over take the momma away sit on the balcony and the coyotes come running when they hear the pups whining so we sit up there and blast em with scatterguns or the occassional assault rifle might slip out of the gun safe :wink: we will kill 10 or so like that every time we have a litter

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:21 am

MO_GSP wrote:when we have pups, its always a fun night activity to have a few buddies over take the momma away sit on the balcony and the coyotes come running when they hear the pups whining so we sit up there and blast em with scatterguns or the occassional assault rifle might slip out of the gun safe :wink: we will kill 10 or so like that every time we have a litter

Since coyotes rarely, rarely have a negative encounter with a dog, or human, then I hope that few in this area pull out the ARs blow thru some clips strafing the critters to oblivion.
We have enough issues with an overabundance of nest predators, from a lack of trapping and too many deer feeders whirring selfishly away keeping the nest predator's bellys full, that less coyotes would do little but increase the coon, skunk, and possum populations.
That is a bad thing....unless one sells .223s, I reckon.

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:58 am

we have 3 ppl that trap on our farm and a half dozen coon hunters, i think we got that covered just fine

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:53 am

Good...it is a shame you are in the minority.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:42 am

Mountaineer wrote:
MO_GSP wrote:when we have pups, its always a fun night activity to have a few buddies over take the momma away sit on the balcony and the coyotes come running when they hear the pups whining so we sit up there and blast em with scatterguns or the occassional assault rifle might slip out of the gun safe :wink: we will kill 10 or so like that every time we have a litter

Since coyotes rarely, rarely have a negative encounter with a dog, or human, then I hope that few in this area pull out the ARs blow thru some clips strafing the critters to oblivion.
We have enough issues with an overabundance of nest predators, from a lack of trapping and too many deer feeders whirring selfishly away keeping the nest predator's bellys full, that less coyotes would do little but increase the coon, skunk, and possum populations.
The comments on AR's is a joke. AR stands for Armalite Rifle, not assult rifle. Any gun can and is an assult rifle. The best ever known was the 12 gauge shotgun. As far as effective semi's the orginal AK was far superior than the Colt .223 or 5.56. The AK is a .30 cal round. As far as most laws you can't go hunting with guns Magazine capactaties more than five rounds. And Clips are for a woman's hair, They are called Magazines. Sorry old military. 8)

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:54 am

kensfishing wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:

The comments on AR's is a joke. AR stands for Armalite Rifle, not assult rifle. Any gun can and is an assult rifle. The best ever known was the 12 gauge shotgun. As far as effective semi's the orginal AK was far superior than the Colt .223 or 5.56. The AK is a .30 cal round. As far as most laws you can't go hunting with guns Magazine capactaties more than five rounds. And Clips are for a woman's hair, They are called Magazines. Sorry old military. 8)
Most of the AK's I saw were the cheap copies made in China and were old as heck and shot like crap, and yes its a Magazine not a clip that has always bugged me lol

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:57 am

I'm talking about the orginal AK. Not the fakes. Of course it's against the law to own one.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:03 am

I only saw AK's in Afghanistan and Iraq most were the cheap copies you would find the occasional original in Afghanistan, but they were the one's the Russians left back in the 80's and were in very poor shape even for how tough they were built, the Taliban wasn't big on cleaning guns to busy trying to woo goats and oppress there women :lol:

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:06 am

gittrdonebritts wrote:I only saw AK's in Afghanistan and Iraq most were the cheap copies you would find the occasional original in Afghanistan, but they were the one's the Russians left back in the 80's and were in very poor shape even for how tough they were built, the Taliban wasn't big on cleaning guns to busy trying to woo goats and oppress there women :lol:
I'm talking about in the late 60's and early 70's. That's old school. The one's I'm talking about shot extremely well in any shape or form. Most of the patrols carried or hide AK's in the bush and used them while out.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:11 am

kensfishing wrote:
gittrdonebritts wrote:I only saw AK's in Afghanistan and Iraq most were the cheap copies you would find the occasional original in Afghanistan, but they were the one's the Russians left back in the 80's and were in very poor shape even for how tough they were built, the Taliban wasn't big on cleaning guns to busy trying to woo goats and oppress there women :lol:
I'm talking about in the late 60's and early 70's. That's old school. The one's I'm talking about shot extremely well in any shape or form. Most of the patrols carried or hide AK's in the bush and used them while out.
AH you are old school hahaha, the one's I saw were not nearly as good as the one's you faced, they still are impressive to hear, even though the rounds were hitting far off target :mrgreen:

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:13 am

i used the term "assault rifle" because it could be an ar that is used but theres also my favorite the ps-90 and a couple ak's, yes they are replicas and not "kalishnikov" but who the he!$ cares they are still fun to shoot oh and a whole heck of a lot cheaper. i don't think a shotgun can be considered an assault rifle because its not a rifle, maybe an assault shotgun :D

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:23 am

During WWII the shotgun was condisered an Assult gun. The Germans were so afraid of them, they tried to get the Geneva Convention to outlaw them. They would execute anyone with a shotgun. As far as the PS90 it's a fun hard hitting little round. I still have some of the orginal armour piercing rounds.

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:28 am

i think i read once that to be considered an assault rifle the gun had to meet a few requirements such as 1. selective fire 2. magazine fed 3. 300 meter ability... there may have been others too but thats what i seem to remember

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:34 am

We used Shotguns for blasting doors and stuff wasn't a whole lot of people who wanted one cause we shot slugs out of them, or sometimes a heavy buckshot load most were used to the or M16's and very little recoil I liked them for room clearing

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:57 am

Any gun can and is an assult rifle
I know a guy assulted a gun, now he has to be on a sex offender list :)

Model 97 was THE gun to use, winchester made it they called it a trench gun. Nothing beats the power of a 1 oz slug, it will take down anything. I keep it for Home Defense :) and clearing trees.....

Bought a boat saturday.......waters getting high
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:05 pm

markj wrote:Model 97 was THE gun to use, winchester made it they called it a trench gun.
I have one in my Gun locker although it was made after the WW1 model it has a 30 inch barrel choked full and if you hold the trigger down it will keep shooting as fast as you can pump it haha love it .

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:05 pm

kensfishing wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:

Ah, yes on clips...close to some calling a rifle a gun, I suppose.
I was meaning the AR frame generic toot that is all the rage on TV gun shows lately where tough guys wear sunglasses in the shade and shoot refrigerators or squirm around on their bellies.
Basically shows where interest or frustration lies....fretting over correct rifle terminlolgy is far down my own list of importance relative to an increase of nest predators...the actual point I was making when folks kill ...some...coyotes, coyotes that rarely chew on a human in many states where they are found.
That and the disasterous effect of deer feeders in states like Ohio was also part of the comment.
But...I should watch my incorrect word usuage.
And do not presume that I love the howling critters as I have shot them here before...wholesale shooting tho may ignore some good that coyotes may be doing to help offset a tad bit of the negative.
Sometimes it is nice to look past one's own front sight.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:59 pm

I've sold and bought guns for years and I've heard all the so called different names of all the so called Assualt guns and the people who thought they knew alot about them. I own them and love what they can do in the right hands. My son and I do alot of long range with just about anything we can think of. Of course coyotes are sometimes our targets.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:06 pm

Them clips were used in semi auto rifles. Made a ding sound when empty and it fleww out. Love that rifle. not the carbine. Saw some of it in the movie hanks was in, they saved a boy as he was the last son alive... blew up a tank track...
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:33 pm

MO_GSP wrote:i used the term "assault rifle" because it could be an ar that is used but theres also my favorite the ps-90 and a couple ak's, yes they are replicas and not "kalishnikov" but who the he!$ cares they are still fun to shoot oh and a whole heck of a lot cheaper. i don't think a shotgun can be considered an assault rifle because its not a rifle, maybe an assault shotgun :D
So just what is an assault rifle? I've never heard a definition that makes any sense.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:53 pm

markj wrote:Them clips were used in semi auto rifles. Made a ding sound when empty and it fleww out. Love that rifle. not the carbine. Saw some of it in the movie hanks was in, they saved a boy as he was the last son alive... blew up a tank track...
That was the M1 Garand. Still used at Camp Perry for 1000 yard matches.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:54 pm

markj wrote:Them clips were used in semi auto rifles. Made a ding sound when empty and it fleww out. Love that rifle. not the carbine. Saw some of it in the movie hanks was in, they saved a boy as he was the last son alive... blew up a tank track...
He was talking about when People call a Magazine a clip big difference, and that was Saving Private Ryan lol

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:01 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
MO_GSP wrote:i used the term "assault rifle" because it could be an ar that is used but theres also my favorite the ps-90 and a couple ak's, yes they are replicas and not "kalishnikov" but who the he!$ cares they are still fun to shoot oh and a whole heck of a lot cheaper. i don't think a shotgun can be considered an assault rifle because its not a rifle, maybe an assault shotgun :D
So just what is an assault rifle? I've never heard a definition that makes any sense.
I don't know what one is either but I think it has more to do with what they look like than anything. :roll:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Siskiyou Blues

Post by Siskiyou Blues » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:48 pm

Wolves are bad news if you run hounds. They've scared more then a few out of the game.

walt501

Post by walt501 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:28 am

MN_GROUSE_GUY wrote:Very interesting article, so my concerns are real, by the looks of that table the people with the most concern are the ones that run dogs on bears, however there are a few upland and retrievers on the list also.
I have yet to hunt one second over my new dog and it is already on the back of my mind, I better work on her being a short ranger and not a big runner!! Some of the best grouse areas that I have hunted are known to have wolf packs in the area!
Last season hunting in the Orr area I was awaken at night to howling when camping.
The topic of getting a handgun permit for use while hunting jogged my memory and my search reveals that in Minnesota you do not need a permit to carry a handgun while hunting. The only exception would be if you are hunting with a bow. Not that you shouldn't get a permit, nothing wrong with that.

7. When is a permit to carry not required?

To keep or carry about the person’s place of business*, dwelling house, premises, or land possessed by the person.
To carry a pistol from a place of purchase to the person's dwelling house or place of business*, or from the person's dwelling house or place of business* to or from a place where repairing is done, to have the pistol repaired.
To carry a pistol between the person's dwelling house and place of business*.
To carry a pistol in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this state for the purpose of hunting or of target shooting in a safe area.
To transport a pistol in a motor vehicle, snowmobile or boat if the pistol is unloaded, contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, or securely tied package.

http://www.co.wright.mn.us/department/s ... ocarry.asp

I've spent a fair amount of time camping and hunting north of Orr over the past 20 years. There used to be a few moose there, but I was hiking the area 15 years ago and came upon what look to me like a spring moose calving area. Mixed in with the moose tracks were several wolf tracks. Now, moose are rare in the area.

A year ago I was driving back from my place in Canada on Hwy 53. I was a few miles north of Orr, where the railroad tracks run alongside the road. You're probably familiar with the location. It was broad daylight and standing on the tracks not 100 yards from my truck was the largest wolf I've ever seen. Now, as a kid in the early 1960's during the winter I used to go look at the wolves hung on racks outside of bars in the McGregor area that had been taken for the bounty money the government paid to reduce wolf populations. The wolf I saw on the tracks last year was at least a third larger than anything I ever saw as a kid.

I should add that while I have no experience in wildlife management, over the years I've noticed that when a new species is introduced into an area where it had been nonexistent or absent for several years, it seems that the population of the newly introduced species multiplies rapidly for several years before crashing in population and then reaching equilibrium at much lower levels that the peak years. I'm hoping this happens with the wolf population.

Good hunting and stay safe!

Walt