FEELING LIKE WE FAILED JERSEY AND HER BREEDER..(UPDATE)

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Re: FEELING LIKE WE FAILED JERSEY AND HER BREEDER..

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:54 pm

Ron R wrote:
ultracarry wrote: Us Americans know Canadians are not confrontational but she is a dog... not a war lol
Now you've done it :x :lol: :lol: :lol: .
i know hey, ultracarry do you shake your pop cans before you open them :twisted:....ruth :wink:
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:56 pm

Yes.... you should :mrgreen: see my comments on Facebook...... :mrgreen:

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:56 pm

Didnt the longest shot just come from a Canadian? They been fighting over there just as we are. Now them britts, they left and my nephew said they had better meals :) they left for our marines to chow on.....

Takes a firm hand to raise a pup right, cant reason with em, grounding does nothing, time outs just dont work.... time to resort to a good old fashined spanking. Dog will straighten right up.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:01 pm

Talked with a lot of them from their air force on a deployment... they said the pay is good but the job is a joke... they left more then half of their squadrons aircraft around the US because they were such POS.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:40 pm

Rob Furlong (born 1976), a former corporal of the Canadian Forces, once held the record for the longest confirmed sniper kill in combat, at 2,430 metres (2,657 yd, 12.08 furlongs, or 1.51 miles). This shot exceeded the previous record of Arron Perry set in 2001 just before Furlong's record by 120 m or 130 yd. The record itself was bested by United Kingdom's Corporal of Horse (CoH) Craig Harrison who in November 2009 recorded a 2,475 m (2,707 yd) shot in the War in Afghanistan, exceeding Furlong's record by 45 m (49 yd).

In March 2002, Furlong participated in Operation Anaconda in Afghanistan's Shah-i-Kot Valley as a member of the 3rd Battalion of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI). His sniper team included MCpl. Graham Ragsdale (Team Commander), MCpl. Tim McMeekin, MCpl. Arron Perry, and Cpl. Dennis Eason. A group of three al-Qaeda fighters were moving into a mountainside position when Furlong took aim with his Long Range Sniper Weapon (LRSW), a .50-caliber McMillan Brothers Tac-50 rifle and ammunition loaded with 750 gr Hornady A-MAX very-low-drag bullets. He began firing at a fighter carrying an RPK machine gun. His first shot missed and his second shot hit the knapsack on the target's back. The third struck the target's torso, killing him. The distance was measured as 2,430 metres (2,657 yd / 1.509 miles). With a muzzle speed of 823 m/s (2,700 ft/s), each shot reached the target almost four seconds after Furlong fired. In December 2003, PPCLI snipers Master Corporal Graham Ragsdale, Master Corporal Tim McMeekin, Corporal Dennis Eason, Corporal Rob Furlong and Master Corporal Arron Perry were awarded the Bronze Star by the U.S. Army for their actions in combat during Operation Anaconda, March 2–11, 2002.

In November 2009 CoH Craig Harrison struck two Taliban machine gunners south of Musa Qala in Helmand Province in Afghanistan at a range of 2,475 m (2,707 yd) using a L115A3 Long Range Rifle. In a BBC interview, Harrison reported it took about nine shots for him and his spotter to initially range the target successfully. Then, he reported, his first shot "on target" was a killing shot. This feat is not typical for the effective range with a high first-hit probability of the employed rifle system on static targets (see maximum effective range). The shots were aided by the ambient air density near the valley in which Musa Qala is situated and where CoH Harrison operated, which is significantly lower than at sea level due to Musa Qala's 1,043 m (3,422 ft) mean elevation

Not trying to steal the thread just posting in response to a post made.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:46 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:Rob Furlong (born 1976), a former corporal of the Canadian Forces, once held the record for the longest confirmed sniper kill in combat, at 2,430 metres (2,657 yd, 12.08 furlongs, or 1.51 miles). This shot exceeded the previous record of Arron Perry set in 2001 just before Furlong's record by 120 m or 130 yd. The record itself was bested by United Kingdom's Corporal of Horse (CoH) Craig Harrison who in November 2009 recorded a 2,475 m (2,707 yd) shot in the War in Afghanistan, exceeding Furlong's record by 45 m (49 yd).

In March 2002, Furlong participated in Operation Anaconda in Afghanistan's Shah-i-Kot Valley as a member of the 3rd Battalion of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI). His sniper team included MCpl. Graham Ragsdale (Team Commander), MCpl. Tim McMeekin, MCpl. Arron Perry, and Cpl. Dennis Eason. A group of three al-Qaeda fighters were moving into a mountainside position when Furlong took aim with his Long Range Sniper Weapon (LRSW), a .50-caliber McMillan Brothers Tac-50 rifle and ammunition loaded with 750 gr Hornady A-MAX very-low-drag bullets. He began firing at a fighter carrying an RPK machine gun. His first shot missed and his second shot hit the knapsack on the target's back. The third struck the target's torso, killing him. The distance was measured as 2,430 metres (2,657 yd / 1.509 miles). With a muzzle speed of 823 m/s (2,700 ft/s), each shot reached the target almost four seconds after Furlong fired. In December 2003, PPCLI snipers Master Corporal Graham Ragsdale, Master Corporal Tim McMeekin, Corporal Dennis Eason, Corporal Rob Furlong and Master Corporal Arron Perry were awarded the Bronze Star by the U.S. Army for their actions in combat during Operation Anaconda, March 2–11, 2002.

In November 2009 CoH Craig Harrison struck two Taliban machine gunners south of Musa Qala in Helmand Province in Afghanistan at a range of 2,475 m (2,707 yd) using a L115A3 Long Range Rifle. In a BBC interview, Harrison reported it took about nine shots for him and his spotter to initially range the target successfully. Then, he reported, his first shot "on target" was a killing shot. This feat is not typical for the effective range with a high first-hit probability of the employed rifle system on static targets (see maximum effective range). The shots were aided by the ambient air density near the valley in which Musa Qala is situated and where CoH Harrison operated, which is significantly lower than at sea level due to Musa Qala's 1,043 m (3,422 ft) mean elevation

steal away tommy :wink: :mrgreen: ...ruth

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:52 pm

Can I enter Mark in the best avatar contest?

Really, Ruth, you are up against the last installment of Harry Potter and Harrison Ford teamed with that 007 chap. I think you are wasting your time.

And, yes, I'm training a dog right now. We are in the bank drive thru learning to wait for cookies.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:57 pm

Ridge-Point wrote:Ruth,

I haven't talked to Brian about this yet but there might be a possibility on sending her out here till you get your new place. It would be a shame if you had to lose her. I have a few pups that will be getting thier first season on chukars this year, she'd fit right in with them.

Justin
Hey justin, i must have missed your post, sorry..i really appreciate your offer and will definitley be going over things with brian as well..do you think this sudden "attitude" she is having might be a sign she is coming into heat??..that was one of the things brian had said might be causing it..again thanks alot i appreciate it, jerseys a very special pup...ruth

Ridge-Point

Post by Ridge-Point » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:36 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:

I haven't talked to Brian about this yet but there might be a possibility on sending her out here till you get your new place. It would be a shame if you had to lose her. I have a few pups that will be getting thier first season on chukars this year, she'd fit right in with them.

Justin
Hey justin, i must have missed your post, sorry..i really appreciate your offer and will definitley be going over things with brian as well..do you think this sudden "attitude" she is having might be a sign she is coming into heat??..that was one of the things brian had said might be causing it..again thanks alot i appreciate it, jerseys a very special pup...ruth
I really don't know enough about the situation to say. I guess we all should just wait till Brian gets back from vacation. We will get this all worked out. Brian and I both value a dog that is quiet, and I know Dixie rarely barks. I have two of her brothers here and they are the same way.

You have done such a good job with Jersey I would hate to see you have to lose her. Hopefully we can get her right so you can keep her. Finding a home like yours is one out of a hundred.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:44 pm

Ruth one thing I should mention that the article did not was that the Canadian sniper team ran out of Canadian ammo so the ammo they were using was American made, U.S. Army issue loads that were a bit hotter than what the Canadian military uses. :lol:

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Ridge-Point wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote:

Justin
I really don't know enough about the situation to say. I guess we all should just wait till Brian gets back from vacation. We will get this all worked out. Brian and I both value a dog that is quiet, and I know Dixie rarely barks. I have two of her brothers here and they are the same way.

You have done such a good job with Jersey I would hate to see you have to lose her. Hopefully we can get her right so you can keep her. Finding a home like yours is one out of a hundred.
thank you very much justin, i appreciate it..finding a breeder that is as involved and helpful as brian has been is one out of a hundred as well..we really do have high hopes for jersey and i know she just needs someone with more experienced with this to help, she really is otherwise a perfect pup..thanks again...ruth

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:56 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:Ruth one thing I should mention that the article did not was that the Canadian sniper team ran out of Canadian ammo so the ammo they were using was American made, U.S. Army issue loads that were a bit hotter than what the Canadian military uses. :lol:
well if they ran out of ammo at least we know they were shooting :lol:. ...ruth

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:01 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:
tommyboy72 wrote:Ruth one thing I should mention that the article did not was that the Canadian sniper team ran out of Canadian ammo so the ammo they were using was American made, U.S. Army issue loads that were a bit hotter than what the Canadian military uses. :lol:
And who trainded the Canadians, the U.S. military. And Canadians cannot buy ammo legaly in the U.S. Per ATF

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:20 pm

kensfishing wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote:
And who trainded the Canadians, the U.S. military. And Canadians cannot buy ammo legaly in the U.S. Per ATF
canadians cannot buy ammo legally in the U.S??..since when, we have always bought it over there, just bought some at cabelas a few months ago :o ...ruth

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:34 pm

kensfishing wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote:
And who trained the Canadians, the U.S. military. And Canadians cannot buy ammo legaly in the U.S. Per ATF
I don't think so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recruit_training#Canada
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:42 pm

try a very simple solution....a muzzle and the collar. the dog should be afraid when they see that bark collar imo. i use a collar that self adjusts (tritronics i think) works wonders

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:55 pm

I wasn't going to post on this because she is mad at me. :lol: When I first read this, I thought it was someting that had not been nipped in the bud and got out of control. But now it seems that it just started in the last few weeks and still agree that it needed to be stopped in the beginning and agree with all the corrections that have been mentioned i.e. tough love! However, the fact that she may be coming into heat may explain the changed behavior and I believe it is something that can be dealt with. JMO.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:58 pm

ultracarry wrote:Hey just grab a piece of hose and use it. Don't threaten but shake the dog up a little bit. Us Americans know Canadians are not confrontational but she is a dog... not a war lol.

Hahahahaha............ on a serious note have you tried this at all??

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:12 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:Rob Furlong (born 1976), a former corporal of the Canadian Forces, once held the record for the longest confirmed sniper kill in combat, at 2,430 metres (2,657 yd, 12.08 furlongs, or 1.51 miles). This shot exceeded the previous record of Arron Perry set in 2001 just before Furlong's record by 120 m or 130 yd. The record itself was bested by United Kingdom's Corporal of Horse (CoH) Craig Harrison who in November 2009 recorded a 2,475 m (2,707 yd) shot in the War in Afghanistan, exceeding Furlong's record by 45 m (49 yd).

Gunny Hathcock still is and always will be the best sniper in my mind ! And not just because he was a Marine..... well maybe :lol:

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:45 pm

birddogger wrote:I wasn't going to post on this because she is mad at me. :lol: When I first read this, I thought it was someting that had not been nipped in the bud and got out of control. But now it seems that it just started in the last few weeks and still agree that it needed to be stopped in the beginning and agree with all the corrections that have been mentioned i.e. tough love! However, the fact that she may be coming into heat may explain the changed behavior and I believe it is something that can be dealt with. JMO.

Charlie
im not mad at ya charlie :wink: and i truly hope it can be dealt with also.. it just put me on edge today with the fuzz being called about jersey and its my daughters 20th birthday today so it kinda wrecked the "mood" :| ..im gonna start smoking again soon and its been 7 years since i quit :| ..im going to cabelas tomorrow morning to get a DOGTRA YS500 dog collar and see how that works, im gonna bring jersey and tyson with me, we dont have coney dogs over here and they love them :wink: ..ruth

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:16 pm

You need to read the ATF laws. It's a felony for you and Cabelas. Canadians used to walk in our store and brag about being from Canada. We'd just tell them no and leave. If fact if they got mouthy, we'd just turn them in.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:35 pm

I think 6 people on here recommended TT bark collar..Any reason you want Dogtra?
brenda

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:40 pm

kensfishing wrote:You need to read the ATF laws. It's a felony for you and Cabelas. Canadians used to walk in our store and brag about being from Canada. We'd just tell them no and leave. If fact if they got mouthy, we'd just turn them in.
What do you think Ken? any chance you can get another argument started or is this one just going to die? Dog is barking is the topic. Your post is about legality of ammo purchases. Kind of a stretch I think.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

KFhunter

Post by KFhunter » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:59 pm

everyones addressing the barking

to me the barking is a sympton of a bigger problem

the dog owns your home and everyone in it

this is why the posturing, raised hackles and barking

time for Ruth to be the Alpha

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:02 pm

Ahumphers91a wrote:try a very simple solution....a muzzle and the collar. the dog should be afraid when they see that bark collar imo. i use a collar that self adjusts (tritronics i think) works wonders
That's what I was thinking:

The dog stays in the house. ( Barking can't be heard much.)
You take her out off and on to do her business.Use a muzzle if she barks.
Every other day she gets a good run/training in the bush/field.

Terriers are barkers.
If my JRT starts barking I act very mad , I put him on his back and squeeze his muzzle and say , "No noise."

Does the job. Needs reinforcement may be once a week.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:11 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:..im going to cabelas tomorrow morning to get a DOGTRA YS500 dog collar and see how that works
I have two tri-tronics G3 Bark Limiters and a Sportdog 10R.......
http://www.sportdog.com/Gear/E-Collars/ ... k-10R.aspx

The Sportdog is by far the most versatile. Three different training modes one of which increases intenisty as the barking continues.

Coveyrise64
Last edited by Coveyrise64 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:16 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
kensfishing wrote:You need to read the ATF laws. It's a felony for you and Cabelas. Canadians used to walk in our store and brag about being from Canada. We'd just tell them no and leave. If fact if they got mouthy, we'd just turn them in.
What do you think Ken? any chance you can get another argument started or is this one just going to die? Dog is barking is the topic. Your post is about legality of ammo purchases. Kind of a stretch I think.

Ezzy
:) All that sniper stuff and you pick on useful advice for a felony action? Where is the Doh? Icon?

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:28 pm

snips wrote:I think 6 people on here recommended TT bark collar..Any reason you want Dogtra?
well i have gotten roughly 40 pms so i added that with the thread posts and went with the majority :D ive never used either collar and i have to pick one to try out so thats how i chose mainly...also one person i felt made good points and has been a real help gave the recommendation for it to so its what i decided to try..i had used 2 crappy brands i guess..i used the PETSAFE first for a week, it didnt work so i exchanged it for the INNOTEK and it didnt work, jersey seemed to just become nervous but still bark so i got concerned it wasnt working and was making her shakey/skittish it seemed..im also open to the idea of trying the TT next but hopefully wont need to :wink: ..how long should i be giving these collars a chance to show results..i thought a week of having them on except when i put her in her crate at bedtime was long enough..should i give the DOGTRA longer??..i really have felt frustrated lately and today was a low but after all the encouragements ive gotten and the links and connections from some really helpful members i feel as though i have things to try that may work, even if its another collar..i know what a great pup i have and i really want to stick by her, im doing my best to do that for her, thanks for the help brenda......ruth

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:31 pm

Lol I have worked for cabelas... the customers were the best thing. The management was completely clueless on how to treat employees.. horrible job. Did it for a discount then that got cut in half... do they still only give 5-20% .

So I can keep it on topic... when my dog barks inside I tell her to be quiet.. if she chooses to continue then I will go in the room, pull her out and shake her up and out the bark collar on, and put her back in without saying a word. The I will leave her in for a couple hours.
Last edited by ultracarry on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:33 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote:..im going to cabelas tomorrow morning to get a DOGTRA YS500 dog collar and see how that works

The Sportdog is by far the most versatile. Three different training modes one of which increases intenisty as the barking continues.

Coveyrise64
I had a couple of these SportDog collars and saw the intensity increase because the dog yelped...Then it turned to continous screams..I threw them away!!! The shock was reacting and getting stronger because the dog was yelping....It was awful.
Last edited by snips on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brenda

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:45 pm

i was down a trainer friend of mine (you know him brenda) and a guy called said his dog was balled up in the corner of his kennel drooling and foaming at the mouth.....after a few questions he told him go take the bark collar off.

Not sure what brand it was but it had been shocking the dog for goodness knows how long. I like the old school fixes, but would use a bark collar as a last resort.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

KFhunter

Post by KFhunter » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:48 pm

I havn't used a bark collar so just kind of brain storming

it would seem that a person could train for the bark collar with an Ecollar - start with the Ecollar and zap the dog when it barks
I'd hide in a room or at the neighbors house so the dog doesn't even know your around then light her up when she barks - but not for yelping or crying

It might help speed up the transition and ease the confusion, so she knows its the barking and not the crying - to the dog its two very different things to bark and cry.

might be a stupid idea

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:51 pm

a glass half full (or empty depending on your life view) of water thrown at my dog always worked for me. then again, she never really barked that much. had to do it this past weekend at the trainers. she decided she didn't want to be quiet when it was bed time. after the water, she was quiet.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:56 pm

snips wrote:
Coveyrise64 wrote:

Coveyrise64
I had a couple of these collars and saw the intensity increase because the dog yelped...Then it turned to continous screams..I threw them away!!! The shock was reacting and getting stronger because the dog was yelping....It was awful.
Don't know, I've used the Sportdog 10R off and on for 9 months with no problems. I've had the TT Bark Limiters stimulate while putting the collar on and taking it off. The only thing I could think of there was the motion or vibration when applying or removing might have triggered the stimulation. I guess none of them are perfect.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:58 pm

I suspect Ruth is getting help from a member she trusts and knows how to help. Viva Jersey. Ruth for the love of Pete don't smoke.

Munster

Post by Munster » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:07 pm

I am wondering if the barking isnt something else. I mean, Ruth said that she thinks the dog is protective and is barking with hackles up. To me, hackles up isnt a protective thing but more of a fear response. Is socialization part of the issue here. I do agree that maybe the pup was allowed to get away with somethngs that escalated the issue.
But I do hope that it gets worked out and Ruth and Jersey can stay together.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:29 am

A caution about cheap bark collars, I purchased a Cabela's label bark collar, believe i paid 59 dollars, and My pointer got shocked while drinking water from bucket. I believe the collar was activated by the collar hitting the side of the bucket as she lapped up the water. I threw it away and resorted to running out and fussing at her several times a night. She either got the message or calmed down on her own but her barking eventually stopped and I'm back to sleeping through the night.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:53 am

Munster wrote:I am wondering if the barking isnt something else. I mean, Ruth said that she thinks the dog is protective and is barking with hackles up. To me, hackles up isnt a protective thing but more of a fear response. Is socialization part of the issue here. I do agree that maybe the pup was allowed to get away with somethings that escalated the issue.
I am thinking the same thing. This doesn't sound like a dog that barks to hear itself bark. Barks at the neighbours and noises. The people across the road have a dog like this. He rages at the E-Fence line, my solution would to not have the e-fence line so close to public/my property. He also sits in the bay window and barks at things. Solution, don't let the "bleep" dog sit in the window.

I would also encourage you to smoke, I go outside with my dog's everytime they use the bathroom, it is rare that they are ever outside without me. Smoking makes those bathroom breaks far more frequent and gives you a little motive to go out with them, and thus be in a position to stop the dog from barking before it starts.

(Smoking is also an essential part of house breaking. If I am going out at 4am, I am having a smoke)
Last edited by Winchey on Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:58 am

Winchey wrote:
Munster wrote:I am wondering if the barking isnt something else. I mean, Ruth said that she thinks the dog is protective and is barking with hackles up. To me, hackles up isnt a protective thing but more of a fear response. Is socialization part of the issue here. I do agree that maybe the pup was allowed to get away with somethings that escalated the issue.
I am thinking the same thing. This doesn't sound like a dog that barks to hear itself bark. Barks at the neighbours and noises. The people across the road have a dog like this. He rages at E-Fence line, my solution would to not have the e-fence line so close to public/my property. He also sits at the bat window and barks at things. Solution, don't let the "bleep" dog sit in the window.

I would also encourage you to smoke, I go outside with my dogs everytime they use the bathroom, it is rare that they are ever outside without me. Smoking makes those bathroom breaks far more frequent and give you a little motive to go out with them, and thus be in a position to stop the dog from barking before it starts.
LOL, hey... just pick up a bad habit to correct your dog's bad habit...
;)
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:58 am

Ezzy, first I didn't make the first comment about ammo. Second Ruth sent me a pm stating she found the laws regarding Canadians that can't legally buy ammo in the U.S. Wasn't starting an argument. As far as the barking someone needs to take the action against it. I've got four tri tronics bark collars and they work. Bottom line. My wife brought home a young staff terrier and during her crate training she did really great until about five months old. Then it was every hour she'd start barking to go outside. No sleep. So the bark collar went on and after a couple of weeks she fine. Haven't had to put on her in the last week. They do work. But when you feel sorry for the animal, they win. I've raised too many dogs to put up with nosense.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:08 am

Go outside and beat the heck out of the dog and scream at her when she starts barking and when the neighbors come out to see what is the matter, just tell them they are next if they don't go back inside and don't even think about calling the cops, all with a cigarette hanging out of your mouth. :D

Gittrdone I am partial to Gary Gordon or Randy Shugart. In retrospect though if they were really that good they would still be alive. :wink:

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:14 am

tommyboy72 wrote: Gittrdone I am partial to Gary Gordon or Randy Shugart. In retrospect though if they were really that good they would still be alive. :wink:
I was thinking the second sentence while reading the first. Remarkable bravery shown by them at any rate. (You should read In the Company of Heroes, Michael Durant's book about it. Some interesting details most accounts don't include.)
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:57 am

learning to wait for cookies
I was never broke of that, as soon as they come out of the oven I am stuffing one into my mouth.....
Go outside and beat the heck out of the dog and scream at her when she starts barking and when the neighbors come out to see what is the matter, just tell them they are next if they don't go back inside and don't even think about calling the cops, all with a cigarette hanging out of your mouth.
Dont forget the 357 carried Mexican Style for the best effect :)
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:00 am

tommyboy72 wrote:Go outside and beat the heck out of the dog and scream at her when she starts barking .....

You still never answered if this had been done. I dont think he means literally "beat" her, but get physical and let her know that you mean stop barking. I really think the bark collar is a last resort, and feel like steps are being skipped, why would you want your dog to always have to wear that thing. It seems like everyone over thinks things like this and makes it much harder and more expensive then it needs to be. You dont need a behavioral specialist and even a trainer for that matter. IMO.

Lets for example take if back to a dogs roots, a wolf pack. You have an alpha pair and then a social order on down the ranks. What do you think would happen if a sub-dominate wolf came into the pack posturing, raising the hair on his back and barking and growling like crazy. The alpha male is not going to yell at him then make him stay in the den or put a bark collar on him. He is going to flat out let the sub-dominate wolf know who is in charge and make it well known to never ever again act up. A dog is a pack animal that needs a social order in place and then rules boundaries and limitations. Its time to be the alpha and let her know. Hugs and kisses and treat training if great, but there does come a time............... You keep saying how smart Jersey is so I bet you only have to do this once or twice....

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:28 am

Ruth I didn't know you were a wolf. If thats the case you should try some play bowing and barking while you're at it. Wait, do wolves bark and play bow? Of that's right you are training a dog.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 am

Winchey wrote:Ruth I didn't know you were a wolf. If thats the case you should try some play bowing and barking while you're at it. Wait, do wolves bark and play bow? Of that's right you are training a dog.
You can mock all you want but it is better advice than all the "Poor you, keep doing what you are doin' 'cause it ain't workin'" silliness she has been cow-towin' to.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:04 am

Point is acting like a wolf is stupid. I have no problem with diciplining a dog, the reason that it is effective is because the dog would rather keep his yap shut then bark and take a licking, not because it has some primeval recollection of how its ancestors dealt with things. Also, I for one don't want to live with a wolf, even if I am the Alpha. Is anything ever exactly stable when it is ruled by a tyrant?

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:18 am

Ultra stable if the subject accepts the tyranny.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:28 pm

i just got back with the dogs for the ride to CABELAS..i ended up with a TT collar after all, they didnt have the DOGTRA recommended and i met a few folks there that said go for the TT out of the ones available..so i bought the TRI-TRONICS BARK LIMITER... SLISTOE your negative and discouraging comments are not of any use to me so you can go show "tough love" to another now :roll: thanks all....ruth

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:04 pm

just get down in her face and growl at her "assert your dominance".....

All joking aside, ive got a lab that was raised in the house for about 4yrs while I lived on my own. My wife moved in and wasn't a fan of the wild west with the tumble weeds of lab hair rolling around.

Long story short daisy ended up in the kennel out side. when the neighbors dog barked daisy barked, when a kid rode down the ally daisy barked, if a flea in mexico farted daisy barked..... One day one of my neighbors came over, and he's a fairly cool old dude and he says, man u gota do somthing bout that dog. it took me about a week orso but everytime daisy barked when I was home i drug her out busted her "bleep" and through her backin the kennel with not a word. there were nights I got up at 3-4am and busted her. Ol' daisy is still a notoriouse barker when you go to get her out of the kennel but she is quiet otherwise while she is in the kennel. Of course my closest neighbor is now a alf mile or better away but that helped me keep the peace until i moved..... dogs dont generally hold a grudge, Jersey will still be your friend after this is all over. good luck with the TT ive had great luck with TT products over the last 10-15yrs.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.