Breaking in and treating new boots

Dirtysailor

Breaking in and treating new boots

Post by Dirtysailor » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:59 am

I was looking for what you guys do to break in and treat new boots prior to taking them hunting. I didn't want to top someone thread.

kensfishing

Re: Breaking in and treating new boots

Post by kensfishing » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:46 am

If they are leather they need to be treated with a conditioner. It will stop the leather from soaking with any moisture and protecting the life of the boot. Some boots need to be worn to break in and some don't. Never had to break in any Danner's, but some of the others broke me down with blisters.

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:10 am

Get a boot dryer to keep the inside dry and fungus free. I have one for the boys and it helps a lot.
Life is best when you're Jeeping with your Family and Dogs
General Gunther Von Grants
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

Dirtysailor

Post by Dirtysailor » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:18 am

Kensfishing what conditioner can you recommend? I have heard the silicone stuff is junk and that a product made of pine pitch and wax is good stuff. Any ideas? I do have a drier and use it after all my hunts.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:40 am

Can't remember the exact name, but it's in a black container. Most of your outdoor stores sell it. Ulmanoff's or something like that. It works great.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:41 am

Danner makes a conditioner that works well. Most of the boots have already been treated and should be conditioned when they are starting to show wear.

A tip for blisters and new boots is to wear a nylon / leggings type sock under your regular boot socks ( 17-25.00 wool socks from cabelas, REI, bass pro.. ). This will allow your foot to slide over the spots without getting a blister, also keeps moisture off of your feet.

Even though you don't need to break them in I usually will go on a 5-6 me hike to test them out before I hit a 12-16 mile loop when I hunt for deer as the Arizona desert will eat your boots and feet up.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:27 am

None of the leather boots are treated. If you don't it will void the warranty. The leather soaks up water like a spong.