Upland boots

t-setter

Upland boots

Post by t-setter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:37 pm

I'm looking to get a pair of boots for grouse hunting, preferably lightly insulated or uninsulated. Any suggestions?

Hondo

Re: Upland boots

Post by Hondo » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:56 pm

Great question.

I'm in the same predicament. Looking forward to reading some of the recommendations.

-Hondo

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:05 pm

At work I am sometimes in my boots for the full 24 hr shift. I have and always will wear Danner. I have 11 pair of them, including these two:

http://www.danner.com/boots/grousetm-hunting-boots.html

http://www.danner.com/hood-winter-light ... boots.html

Danner boots are totally rebuildable, reliable Gore-Tex waterproofing, and virtually no break-in period. Yes, they are pricey, but well worth it!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:55 pm

I've tried Irish Setters, Cabela's brand, Rockies and many others. I too, prefer Danners. They are great boots.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:28 am

For PA, 10 inch Maine Hunting Shoes

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/33171?fe ... ppxs&dds=y

Pair them up with merino socks and a merino insole. Then you have a 4 season boot.

And they are made here not China. GTD for Life.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:02 am

I can not support the Maine Hunting Shoe other than the warranty. That tread (If still the Chain link) is the worst I have ever had in snow and mud.

Personally, I like Irish setter, Elk tracker, with 200 grams of Thinsulate and has Gortex 10" or 12" It is heavier but very comfortable and durable with a great tread design. IMO.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:05 am

Hondo wrote: by Hondo » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:56 pm
Great question.

I'm in the same predicament. Looking forward to reading some of the recommendations.
Hondo, If you are hunting that chukar type terrrain in N. CA and Nev. I would suggest a high top(8 in) leather logger type boot with a lug sole and a definite heel on them. The high tops will give you good ankle support when you are side hilling and will protect your ankles from scrapes and vegetation getting on and into your socks.(cheatgrass is a real pain) The heels will make descending hills alot easier. I worked in the field in the Winnemucca area and my White boots were a little heavy but well worth it.

Dirtysailor

Post by Dirtysailor » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:41 am

I just went down to Cabela's and found some bargain cave Cabela's upland hunters. They are goretex and uninsulated been wear them in at work, if a cubical counts for that. Didn't tie up alot in them. I looked at the Meidl (sp) Cabela's stocks as I have heard they are ok but couldn't justify the price difference. I feel like I stole these ones from the bargain cave so we shall see how they handle. Cabela's sells these new under their brand name they are the green ones. To the OP we hunt similar country so let us know what you get and how they hold up. I looked at a lot of different boots including the custom fit ones and could not justify the price as that moeny can buy alot of other training equipment. So we shall see if the gamble pays off. I know they will be better than my old beaters and wet feet last year.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:43 am

Danner Pronghorns. Light weight, great ankle support and meaty soles for climbing chukar hills.
Tom

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:13 am

+quote="Gordon Guy"]Danner Pronghorns. Light weight, great ankle support and meaty soles for climbing chukar hills.[/quote]
+ 1 on Danners. Never had to break a pair in, just put them on and go. The proghorns have a great foundation in the sole to keep you feet from getting sore from rocks or other rought terrain. What size do you wear? I've got a brand new pair of Danner Camohide GTX 400g leather for sale. 10.5, Never taken out of the box.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:30 am

Do you notice the Danners fitting correctly? I just bought a pair of the Danner Grouse, size 11.5 and they told me (online) with a nice wool sock they would fit your tennis shoe size (which for me is an 11). Firemedic, How do yours fit?
57300.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:19 am

Rookie, that sounds about right. However, Danner boots run very narrow. I have something like a D width, but order EE boots. What I really like about that design of boot, it the lace-to-toe design. I couldn't imagine after 13 years of wearing nothing but, going to a traditional boot lace design. Coupled with the toe-box design, these fit my feet like a glove.

I grouse hunt "bleep" near everyday from Sept 14th to November 14th. Maybe take 2 or 3 days off. I put a lot of miles on my feet following my pointers and my feet always feel fine the next morning. As long as you remember to regularly condition those boots and dry them at the end of the day, they will last for years. I still have the original pair I bought 13 years ago. They have been resoled 4 times.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:05 pm

I wish LL Bean would hurry up with the remodel on the upland technical, forget the old school maine hunting shoes, but the upland technical? Those are bees knees! lol

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:13 pm

Russel boots.................................

ranmcc

Post by ranmcc » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:36 pm

I have been a wild quail hunter in the south and have tried alot of boots for over 30 years. No matter which brand I try I always go back to
the LL Bean Maine boots. I now like the bison leathers as they seem tougher than the regular leather boots. The regular leather
use to be thicker than it is now and they have gone softer than the older leather boots. The bison are the best now.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:45 pm

ACooper wrote:I wish LL Bean would hurry up with the remodel on the upland technical, forget the old school maine hunting shoes, but the upland technical? Those are bees knees! lol
Coop, is that what is happening with that boot? The rep told me they sold out because the of the review in that hunting magazine.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:49 pm

ranmcc wrote:I have been a wild quail hunter in the south and have tried alot of boots for over 30 years. No matter which brand I try I always go back to
the LL Bean Maine boots. I now like the bison leathers as they seem tougher than the regular leather boots. The regular leather
use to be thicker than it is now and they have gone softer than the older leather boots. The bison are the best now.
That is how I feel. No design is perfect but I can't stand the new Herman Munster boots. The Maine boots are light, keep your feet dry and are extremely comfortable. Sometimes I forget I have them on. You are right the new leather is lighter but it is waterproof now. I have a pair from the 1930's that I bought in an antique store. I really don't wear them because I would hate to have to replace the natural rubber soles with the new rubber soles. So they sit in my bookcase. I often wonder who wore them.

dbhowell23

Post by dbhowell23 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:03 pm

These are the best I have ever owned by far.

Cabela's"Perfekt™" 10" Hunter Boots by Meindl

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear ... t104841180

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:12 pm

How much hiking do you plan on doing?

For a day of walking even to slight incline and decline country the pronghorns and military style boots danner makes will work great.

If your hunting nasty rocky desert terrain I would recommend reading boot reviews... I'm thinking lathrop& sons, Lowa, and schnees. just a lot of money in boots....

t-setter

Post by t-setter » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:18 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. The Danner crowd has won me over. Now, to chose between the Pronghorn or the Grouse....

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:24 pm

mcbosco wrote:
ranmcc wrote:I have been a wild quail hunter in the south and have tried alot of boots for over 30 years. No matter which brand I try I always go back to
That is how I feel. No design is perfect but I can't stand the new Herman Munster boots. The Maine boots are light, keep your feet dry and are extremely comfortable. Sometimes I forget I have them on. You are right the new leather is lighter but it is waterproof now. I have a pair from the 1930's that I bought in an antique store. I really don't wear them because I would hate to have to replace the natural rubber soles with the new rubber soles. So they sit in my bookcase. I often wonder who wore them.
I have tried rubber boots like the Maine boots and they cause my feet to sweat and are wet a few minutes after putting them on. I find leather much better, warmer, and more comfortable and the canvas boots of today are better yet. I have a pair of Browning canvas boots with 600 Gms of insulation I picked up for 60 bucks to wade the snow in and a pair of 1000 Gm Canvas Rocky's for deer hunting in the stands that I paid 65 vfor if I remember right. Both are extremely comfortable and have sttod uo well.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

2dogs

Post by 2dogs » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:34 pm

I do alot of chukar hunting and have always loved Danners but the last couple of pair that I had didnt hold up as well and the waterproofing failed the first winter hunting in snow. Seems since they quit making the Grouse and some other models in Oregon and out sourced them the quality of material is less. I bought a pair of Meihndels from Cabelas last year and have to say they are incredibly well built and comfortable, it did take a bit longer to break them in than Danners but once done they were great.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:45 pm

mcbosco wrote:
ACooper wrote:I wish LL Bean would hurry up with the remodel on the upland technical, forget the old school maine hunting shoes, but the upland technical? Those are bees knees! lol
Coop, is that what is happening with that boot? The rep told me they sold out because the of the review in that hunting magazine.

Sal from what I understand they were having trouble getting the rubber toe cap to bond to the material of the boot, I wish they would hurry up and figure it out... they are by far the best boots I've ever had on. Unfortunately I was only able to find one of mine.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:46 pm

Look for the older pronghorns before they used rubber... the rubber will separate... I have gone through danner every archery season and sent them back. The worst were with rubber toe caps. Also made in China or Korea....

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:41 am

dbhowell23 wrote:These are the best I have ever owned by far.

Cabela's"Perfekt™" 10" Hunter Boots by Meindl

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear ... t104841180

I use these as well, for everything. They go on my feet when working the dogs, field trialing, hunting grouse, deer etc and I've had no problems with them. I would recommend them...

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:01 am

I'd just stay away from the pronghorn. Not as high quality, and they are made over seas. Stick with the Grouse, they are US made, and much higher quality.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:56 am

t-setter wrote:...The Danner crowd has won me over. Now, to chose between the Pronghorn or the Grouse....
T-setter...PM sent...

Dirtysailor

Post by Dirtysailor » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:16 am

I too had my heart set on the LL Bean Technicals, but had to get something until they got the issue figured out. I am always checking to see if they are available and will have a set when they are.

laxhcky4

Post by laxhcky4 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:12 am

I had pronghorns that failed within a year. Water comes right in and I called and they wouldn't replace them because it was just after a year since purchase. If you are going Danner, stay with the boots made in the US.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:48 am

OK, since nobody has mentioned them I guess I will.......Muck Boots are good for everything, durable, and affordable. It's pretty much all I wear.

Good Luck
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:12 am

A store here in Fargo, The Outdoorsman, has Danner Pronghorns on sale for $79. 0-1000 grams. I think I might pick up a pair for the heck of it. Sale ends August 26th.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:13 am

laxhcky4 wrote:I had pronghorns that failed within a year. Water comes right in and I called and they wouldn't replace them because it was just after a year since purchase. If you are going Danner, stay with the boots made in the US.
You didn't talk to the right people. I have returned 3 pairs for failures and they have replaced and upgraded them all...... the first few people try to blow you off with the year thing.